collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: SW late archery hunting ideas  (Read 2025 times)

Offline JmcBowhunbter82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
SW late archery hunting ideas
« on: September 23, 2018, 09:33:23 PM »
Hello all! New to forum. Just finished my first ever archery Elk hunt. Hunted 673. Came really close 25yds to doing the imaginable and bagging a nice 5X5 on my first season with a bow. Long story but I didnt take the shot for ethical reasons. Was about 5 steps from having the angle i needed to be branches free. Anyways I learned alot and put 60 miles in 7 days. I was curious if anyone could lend any thoughts or advice on the late season in bordering units  672 and 506. Seems like there is plenty of public land. Also lots of Weyerhauser land as well. Anyone buy the passes to. TheseWeyerhauser cuts? Is it worth the $75.00? Im a beginner but im not afraid nor do I shy away from putting in the miles! Any advice or suggestions would be great!

Offline Screaminreelz

• Disclaimer
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
Re: SW late archery hunting ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 12:46:15 PM »
IMO it's best to find a unit that will be open for the late season and spend a few days hiking/biking and scout. Us archers have plenty of time to do some homework and there's a ton of resources available. I know that 672 has produced some nice bulls but not too familiar with 506. Which direction were you thinking of access cause that could make or break the weekend.
Some animals WERE harmed in the making of this Hunter. They were also dragged through the dirt, butchered and tasted delicious fried with butter and bacon.

Offline JmcBowhunbter82

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 06:31:33 PM »
I was thinking of heading SE of Raymond on the 6 then maybe heading East on Mill Creek rd. That goes way in there and I could head north off of Mill Creek into Weyerhauser Timber if I buy a pass. Or south into State land. Im just not sure if its worth the 75.00 to go into Weyerhauser land. They sure do have a ton of it there East and SE of Raymond and Willapa Valley. Lots of logging roads and clear cuts. Could be worth the money if they are loaded in there.

Offline Screaminreelz

• Disclaimer
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 08:52:23 PM »
Get a map buy the permit an hunt your butt off. New ground under your boots is always a good thing. Not sure how many permits are left.
Some animals WERE harmed in the making of this Hunter. They were also dragged through the dirt, butchered and tasted delicious fried with butter and bacon.

Offline JmcBowhunbter82

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 10:05:36 PM »
I use OnX hunt app. It is great! Shows boundaries and units and even private lamd boundaries and who owns them. You can set way points and Mark everything.

htymrmgn6RCSUo5UXVcaAjG3EALw_wcB

Im going to check the permits and see if I snag one. Im gonna head down thrre some time in Oct and bring mountain bike and see what I can find. Thanks! I'll let ya know how it goes

Offline SteelheadTed

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 08:56:58 PM »
I have the north Pe ELL Weyco pass and it was tough hunting in 672 during the general season.  I’m sure they are in there but I had a hard time finding them.  The late archery is interesting to me but having hunted rifle for four years I’m tired of chasing elk I can’t call.  This was my first archery season too and calling elk and getting responses is way too cool not to do every year.
I know I've lost it, let me know if you come across it

Offline Screaminreelz

• Disclaimer
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 09:03:17 PM »
I got into some activity but could never deal the deal around there but honestly it's some of the most fun I've had. I think the best part of it is hearing them an watching them try an figure out what you are. Sure meat in the freezer is the end game but when you cant seal the deal it's the little things that make the memories.

Offline JmcBowhunbter82

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 09:10:39 PM »
Totally agree! It was really amazing getting that close to a Bull like that! It will and has made me even more hungry and motivated for the next time. I can't spend as much time on the late hunt. Just a weekend of two. Ill head down there next month and spend a weekend beating feet and scouting. Maybe I'll get another opportunity. You never know unless you get out there and put them time and miles in. Good luck on your hunt! If you have a smart phone and don't have onX Hunt id recommend it. Its highly effective and very handy. Its 29.00 for 12 months and if you don't want to pay that you can sign up for a free 1 week trial. I did that for my hunt.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]