collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mule deer scrapes?  (Read 2215 times)

Offline cb1989

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Mule deer scrapes?
« on: September 24, 2018, 12:29:37 PM »
is that what I'm looking at here? As a midwest whitetail hunter I took these for scrapes right away but the timing (now) seemed a little weird. These were both in the same area at the intersection of heavily used trails on a steep slope in a burn. I know whitetails will start cleaning up major scrapes that they use year after year earlier than "auxiliary" scrapes that don't get made until pre rut is fully on. Do mule deer do the same?

Also then, is something like this worth spending some time near now, if it looks like its fresh?

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: Mule deer scrapes?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 01:02:21 PM »
I don't think mule deer specifically scrape as often or with as much conviction as a WT. Those look like either kicked out beds or something in the ground caught there attention. salt, minerals etc....

Any fresh sign is worth some effort, not sure I would sit on these spots but hunt the general area. :twocents:

Just tend your own and live.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 01:23:50 PM »

Yep I agree, looks like they were trying to get to something in the dirt, believe or not they like charcoal, I had an old rancher buddy of mine that would empty his wood stove out and put the ashes and charcoal remnants in a spot on his property, he did it for years and years in the same spot, should have seen some of the pictures of the deer that visited that spot over the years, they would paw through it, lick it it was really weird. A lot of big bucks get killed in burn areas every year, it makes sense. No need to buy all those fancy feed blocks, feeders, plant food plots etc., just dump your ashes from your stove in a nice spot and before you know it.......

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 01:28:09 PM »
Muley scrapes look different and its WAYYYYYY too early. 

As stated above, digging for minerals or something

Offline cb1989

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 01:42:01 PM »
believe or not they like charcoal

That makes a lot of sense, this pic was also in a burn. Was deep, like they were digging in it. I always assumed they liked burns because of the browse, I had never heard that they actually consume charcoal. Thank you for the input!

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 01:45:00 PM »
There’s trace amounts of salt in wood ashes, watching a show the other night a guy used he stove ash to melt snow outside his cabin walkway.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 02:16:46 PM »
A lot of folks say to wait a couple years for the new growth to take hold before hunting burns but I have seen them in burns that were put out just weeks earlier. My son has a friend he played minor league ball with that is from the Montrose area in Colorado, his parents have a few thousand acres of land and they run an elk and deer outfitting business, they swear by hunting burns as soon as you can get in them, "if the fire was put out today then make sure your hunting it tomorrow" is his falosophy, he says "charcoal is like Muley candy".   Ive seen some pictures of bucks these guys get that looks like they were taken inside a fireplace! I swear you can see smoke in the background in some of the pictures.

Offline StoneTrees

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: BHA, HOWL
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 03:09:42 PM »
Might be worth posing the char/deer connection to a wildlife biologist.  I have heard accounts of other animals eating char before with the theory that is has a detoxing effecting.  I don't imagine they think of it in such a cerebral fashion, but if the animal is experiencing some indigestion, it might be instinctively compelled to seek out and consume char.

Offline hawks33

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »
I've taken mulies in washingron that were black, horns and all from being in recent burns.  Always a good spot to take a peek

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 03:27:14 PM »
Might be worth posing the char/deer connection to a wildlife biologist.  I have heard accounts of other animals eating char before with the theory that is has a detoxing effecting.  I don't imagine they think of it in such a cerebral fashion, but if the animal is experiencing some indigestion, it might be instinctively compelled to seek out and consume char.

Years ago my family was good friends with the biologist in the Methow(probably the last good one over there IMHO) and that question was asked because of what our rancher friend was doing with his wood stove ashes, I can't remember why they like it or are attracted to it but he said they are :tup:

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 06:15:07 PM »
Salt or mineral lick. There are a couple above Pearygin that deer hit daily.
We call them Salt Lick 1 and Salt Lick 2,
LOL
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 09:32:26 PM »
I've never heard of Muleys making scrapes, at least like those of WTs.  Boneaddict makes it sound as though they may do some similar type of territorial marking.  He would know.  Perhaps someone can elucidate a bit to help you with your pre-season scouting.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Romulus1297

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 09:57:15 PM »
Isn't that a bed for a nap?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck