collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Abandoned game cams  (Read 33322 times)

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: Abandoned game cams
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 10:33:31 PM »
I was just thinking on when I can get up to retrieve a couple I placed in Rimrock summer 2017.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 10:34:16 PM »
I just checked one of my cameras that I hadn't checked since last November. The batteries were dead since July 3rd. It now has fresh batteries and a fresh sd card. It definitely wasn't abandoned. Even if it looked like it. I would leave the one you found alone. It's not yours.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

:yeah:  Lots of guys are leaving cameras out year around, they check then once or twice a year and refresh them up like grundy. If it's not yours leave it be. :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Aeron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 03:39:07 PM »
June isn't that long ago, I'd put new batteries in it and a new card and leave the Old one in the cam somewhere.

That's what I was thinking of doing....maybe someone will finally find it again and have some nice surprises on it.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2018, 04:08:45 PM »
+1 for just leaving it alone. 

+2 for giving it a fresh set of batteries.   :chuckle:  900 images might not mean a full card, depending on capacity and resolution.  My 16Gb cards hold a heck of a lot more than that. 

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2018, 04:19:54 PM »
Leave it be

If it truly looks abandoned, as in for a years, you can always let the local LEO in charge of the area know about it.  Let them decide if it should be removed or not.

Offline Aeron

• Pilgrim
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 05:01:00 PM »
Leave it be

If it truly looks abandoned, as in for a years, you can always let the local LEO in charge of the area know about it.  Let them decide if it should be removed or not.

Thats a good idea, it isnt exactly hurting anything just sitting there either.

Offline solomtnhunter

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 09:04:33 PM »
I've got friends who leave cams up for several months.  Just cause batteries are dead and straps are worn doesn't mean it's abandoned.  I've got cams i've only used 1 season but the straps look 10yrs old - I blame cheap outsourced manufactures for that.  Heck i even use batteries from the previous season with 50% power left cause batteries are so dang expensive. 
Traditional Bow Hunter/Target & 3D/NRA Life Member/WAC Member

Offline Idighuntin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2018, 03:30:11 PM »
I have a camera in the Gifford Pinchot I haven’t seen since I think 2015. I’m assuming it’s still there. It’s in a really secure lockbox. I’m also assuming it’s probably ruined because the batteries leaked or something. I would not appreciate someone checking my pics and batteries, even though they won’t get in my lock box. You didn’t do the work to put it there. You didn’t pay for it. You should just leave it alone.

Curious what kind of lock box you’re using?

Offline LongBomb

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2018, 03:44:41 PM »
 :yeah: i had one with a python cable set out. Went to check it after it had soaked and the entire set up was gone.

Offline Idighuntin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2018, 04:16:59 PM »
Yeah that’s why I was asking, I had a lock box and python cable stolen also.It didn’t look like he struggled to hard to get it off the tree either.

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2018, 05:22:06 PM »
If anyone ever comes across one of my cameras and uses their intuition to determine if it is abandoned, I would much rather they just leave it alone.

If it's not yours don't touch it.
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 09:27:04 PM »
I have 15plus cameras across the state that have been up for over 2.5 years . I check them when  I can  pending on particular hunts and info I'm looking for . I. Trying really hard to understand what makes you think its ok to touch something that isn't yours ?   Managing cxameras and putting in the work to get them there , maintain them , and pray nobody screws with them.or steals them is tough. DONT TOUCH STUFF THAT ISNT YOURS  :bash:

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 09:33:07 PM »
If it's not yours don't touch it.

That kind of logic and common sense has no place on the Internet  :yike:

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2018, 09:53:36 PM »
Got a couple in the Selway I couldnt get to in Nov so now it will be July.  Turned em off video at least as snow triggers videos in a short time.

Offline Atroxus

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2018, 11:18:51 PM »
I have a camera in the Gifford Pinchot I haven’t seen since I think 2015. I’m assuming it’s still there. It’s in a really secure lockbox. I’m also assuming it’s probably ruined because the batteries leaked or something. I would not appreciate someone checking my pics and batteries, even though they won’t get in my lock box. You didn’t do the work to put it there. You didn’t pay for it. You should just leave it alone.

So you have a camera, presumably strapped to a tree somewhere, which you haven't checked on for 3+ years, that may or may not be leaking it's battery contents, and you still consider it your property?  Personally I think that sounds more like littering. What is the point of even having it out there if you aren't using it or checking on it?  :dunno:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal