collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: blacktail deer pre-rut  (Read 43221 times)

Offline flyfishWA

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: blacktail deer pre-rut
« Reply #255 on: November 13, 2018, 03:34:23 PM »
nice rub that I found
"speak softly and carry a big stick" Theodore Roosevelt

Offline flyfishWA

• Scout
« Reply #256 on: November 13, 2018, 03:48:54 PM »
trail cam pics less then 100 yards away. :)

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #257 on: November 13, 2018, 07:57:54 PM »
Nice pics.  I'm thinkin' it was the dude with the eyeguards that thrashed that tree, not the little forkie.  There might even be a bigger one hiding around there.  That's a pretty good rub - though it's difficult to tell the size of the tree.  Go get 'em!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:05:13 PM by fishnfur »
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #258 on: November 13, 2018, 08:03:48 PM »
I've been hunting blacktail deer a long time and I rarely if ever see as many deer during the rut as I do in the months prior, I do see more bucks but overall deer numbers are almost always less. 

Does are getting followed around by hormone fueled bucks of all sizes, they get a lot more skittish and seem to be on the move more often than not.  In my experience your chances of seeing deer may go down but your chances of a buck being among those deer go up.  This weather doesn't help much either.

If you want to get a good idea of the deer numbers in a particular area get out there on a rainy September day, that's when I usually see the most.

I think you're right on there on all counts.  The does seem frazzled after the chase has been on for a while.  Both they and their kids can go berserk at the slightest little noise or movement at times, once the rut has started.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline flyfishWA

• Scout
« Reply #259 on: November 13, 2018, 08:28:30 PM »
Nice pics.  I'm thinkin' it was the dude with the eyeguards that thrashed that tree, not the little forkie.  There might even be a bigger one hiding around there.  That's a pretty good rub - though it's difficult to tell the size of the tree.  Go get 'em!
The rub is about two feet from bottom to top ;)

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #260 on: November 14, 2018, 03:15:12 PM »
It has been the slowest fall I've seen under my apple trees since I started putting out cams in 2011.  I quit checking my back yard cams on the 11th, since in all previous years, the last buck I'd ever caught was on Nov. 12th, and the majority occur between 8 - 11 Nov.  The last buck I captured in the yard was on 28 October - a young three-point that I posted then.  Normally there'd be does coming and going throughout the rut, but this year nothing!  Three cams out there all working one little area where they all seem to hang out.  Nothing!

Just for chuckles, I pulled a card today and saw that a young (maybe just 1.5 year old) and small 3 X 2 hopped through the yard just after I last checked the card last Sunday.  He probably came and went within a 10 second period.  He's showing good promise to be a masher if he survives the local town traffic.  Nice double throat patch too.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #261 on: November 14, 2018, 03:26:54 PM »
I go a little deeper in the videos and find this dude had been out in the yard just this morning.  Another drive-by buck, only this guy is just a bit better  :chuckle:.  I'm not sure if I've seen him before.  He looks 3.5 year old, maybe 4 and a half.  He's looking to be a stud when he gets a few more years on him.  He's got one hell of a swagger when he walks.  He's obviously looking for does.  He ate one apple then was on his way again.  The last photo is the only other 4 point that has been in the yard, and that was last year.  I'm wondering if is the same buck.  Pretty impossible to tell. 

Based upon this recent late seeking activity, I'm thinking the upcoming Late Buck season may be a really good one down here.  Time will tell...

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #262 on: November 14, 2018, 03:34:14 PM »
VERY NICE!
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #263 on: November 14, 2018, 05:24:32 PM »
I go a little deeper in the videos and find this dude had been out in the yard just this morning.  Another drive-by buck, only this guy is just a bit better  :chuckle:.  I'm not sure if I've seen him before.  He looks 3.5 year old, maybe 4 and a half.  He's looking to be a stud when he gets a few more years on him.  He's got one hell of a swagger when he walks.  He's obviously looking for does.  He ate one apple then was on his way again.  The last photo is the only other 4 point that has been in the yard, and that was last year.  I'm wondering if is the same buck.  Pretty impossible to tell. 

Based upon this recent late seeking activity, I'm thinking the upcoming Late Buck season may be a really good one down here.  Time will tell...

That looks just like our buck on cam  :o
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #264 on: November 14, 2018, 06:40:00 PM »
He's way better than your buck PredatorG!   :chuckle:   Actually, if I remember correctly, your buck has lots of mass.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #265 on: November 15, 2018, 12:14:52 PM »
I couldn't resist....

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #266 on: November 15, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »
I hunted in a T-shirt today. This weather is BS!!!!!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #267 on: November 16, 2018, 08:36:33 AM »
I had an old bottle of MJ's Doe in Estrus laying around from a couple years ago, so just for giggles, I hunt a wick in the yard yesterday in front of the cams (hanging in the central small pear tree).  Though there hasn't been a doe in the yard for two weeks, this young three did a couple laps around the apple trees this morning and smelled around the base of the pear tree.  Not wildly successful, but the urine did seem to work a bit.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #268 on: November 22, 2018, 09:26:11 PM »
ttt - A little CPR and cardioversion - I'm just not ready for this thread to die quite yet.  :'(

Offline PastorJoel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #269 on: November 22, 2018, 10:00:14 PM »
I watched a 6x4 blackie chasing a doe all around a yard today.  I got within 10 feet of him.   :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]