collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Gutpile learned a new trick but has a couple questions  (Read 5404 times)

Offline jnordwell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Gutpile learned a new trick but has a couple questions
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 08:18:58 PM »
So here is a question for you. What is your setup? Bow wt arrow wt? Notice doesn’t look like string silencers. If the white tails are that jumpy I’d go with a heavy arrow and put some BowJax on your string. If your shots are close heavy arrows will soak up your bow noise and if the distance is that close won’t notice much of a drop.  Try 8-10 gr of draw wt I shoot 60 lb bow and a 480 gr arrow. Whisper is all they hear.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 09:41:47 PM »
Never tried it but have read of guys that swear by spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide for tracking blood trails.  ???

:yeah:

Use the H2O2.  Buy a cheap spray bottle from Walmart (about $2), a bottle of H2O2 from Costco (about $3), and you will be good to go.  The hydrogen peroxide foams when it contacts blood, so all you have to do is look for the foam.  If you think it is blood, spray it.  If it foams, follow the trail.  No need to look for color.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 12:50:29 PM »
Question #2. Talk to me about tree stands. What are the good brands to consider? I've noticed a gigantic price range from 100ish up into the mid $400 range for a climber and I suppose they go even higher than that. What do you guys use and what should I consider when I look at tree stands?

Having grown up in the midwest, I spent a large portion of my late teenage years in a treestand, actually even more time the last 25 years.  I LOVE hunting out of a treestand.  My favorite stands are Summit and Lone Wolf stands, with all my stand now being Lone Wolf stands.  I like the climber and the fixed position stands with strap on climbing sticks.  By the way you will still get some reaction from most deer when you shoot from an elevated position.  Try and tune your bow to be as quiet as possible and add some vibration dampners and string silencer, helps a fair amount.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline pc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2018, 07:53:33 PM »
I have 4 treestands, which are mainly used for deer hunting, (Private property). 2 climbers and 2 fixed. I have used them for Elk hunting also... I can't remember the brand names of the fixed because I use the climbers more. Not because they are better, just because I feel a little safer and it is a little more comfortable. This year I set up my Summit climber and used a fixed ladder stand (see below), the private property is not mine and wanted to be gentler on the friends trees. I setup the climber with the ladder sticks so it is much more easier and quieter for the morning hunts. I set them up in August, for the September Archery season. I also move the treestands to different trees so the deer don't get concerned passing by any one tree. I have already picked next years tree  :chuckle:

ladder sticks https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-20039-climbing-sticks?a=546743

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2018, 08:05:08 PM »
I am not a bow hunter. But I hunt from a ground blind a lot.

I set my blind up in the shade if possible. I cover the roof with natural vegetation if possible and pile some brush  in front of it. Back light is a problem like someone mentioned.

Have someone take a picture of the blind with you in it. That will reveal a lot.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]