collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best hunting boots on the market  (Read 17760 times)

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
Best hunting boots on the market
« on: September 27, 2018, 09:18:37 PM »
Yep, another boot thread.  I know you all hate these threads. :chuckle:

To get started on the uninsulated side, I have a pair of  haix that I am not going to trash this fall and a pair of whites that I have worn out in the past 16 months that need to go in for a rebuild as soon as it starts raining here in Idaho.

So with that being said, I am looking for suggestions and views on semi-insulated to insulated hunting boots. I've been looking at the crispis a little bit but am open for more suggestions. I can say this already, I am not buying another pair of danners.

Anyone have experience with hoffmans?

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Best hunting boots on the market
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 09:25:09 PM »
Zamberlan's.  My buddy from Alaska put 15 years on his first pair and is 10 years into his second thus far.  I'm on 10 years with my pair.  I put a deep cut in the leather causing a leak this past year.  I called Zamberlan's for advice, they put me in touch with local cobbler in Washington who gave me great advice, and I have a leak free repair and heading into this season. 

I am a backpack hunter for all seasons, multiple states.  Only wilderness areas. I hike, hunt, and snowshoe in the boots year round.   I spend more days in the remote wilderness than the average person.   A properly cared-for boot can last a very long time.

My  :twocents:

Offline Highhuntin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 06:54:09 AM »
Never seen hoffmans. I have lowa tibets now on my second pair but think I may try Zamberlans next time.. or possibly Crispi. I have also been down the Danner Road and learned very quick they are not what they used to be (maybe the Portland built ones are better) but was not going to gamble anymore with the brand

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 07:07:20 AM »
I am Kentrek man myself. Sent mine back a couple times for minor repairs and they are great with customer service. My feet like their boots.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:11:47 AM by mburrows »

Offline shmacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 07:09:43 AM »
Zamberlan's.  My buddy from Alaska put 15 years on his first pair and is 10 years into his second thus far.  I'm on 10 years with my pair.  I put a deep cut in the leather causing a leak this past year.  I called Zamberlan's for advice, they put me in touch with local cobbler in Washington who gave me great advice, and I have a leak free repair and heading into this season. 

I am a backpack hunter for all seasons, multiple states.  Only wilderness areas. I hike, hunt, and snowshoe in the boots year round.   I spend more days in the remote wilderness than the average person.   A properly cared-for boot can last a very long time.

What model Zamberlans are you using?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 07:17:27 AM »
No such thing as the best boot on the market.  Look at pictures of feet and you might notice they are all different.  Combine that with the different strides, weights and other variables and the best boot on the market is the one that works best for you.  This is why some guys swear by XYZ and others can't wait to throw them away.  I wear a zero drop boot and those would absolutely kill someone who constantly wears a heel.

Of course, there are companies that produce a better made product, have a better warranty or customer service.

Offline BeerBugler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 07:26:57 AM »
I’ve had Scarpa (Chamois GTX), Lowa (GTX) , Crispi (Nevada) and Kennetrek (MG, ME, HH). I do not like the Scarpas. I did not like the Kennetrek Guides. I love the Kennetrek mountain extremes. Have had a pair for 6 years and still wear them. I recently bought the Hardscrabbles as well. The Lowa and Crispis are both good boots but after a really long day my feet would eventually hurt. The Kennetreks are a little bulky and a little heavy but I haven’t found anything better for long days and heavy loads. They are durable as hell. Just my experience through miles and miles of hunting/hiking. Just as important, get a good sock, a good set of inserts, and a pair of boots that fit YOUR feet!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 07:39:28 AM »

Thats amazing longevity for a pair of boots.  Want to try a pair.  Depends on ones feet - my brother has a pair of sears uninsulated stitch toe boots that he got used and has beat on them for 10 years and sees no reason to replace them. Probably cost $39 new. He’s tough as nails and just stomps away - I wouldnt use them to get the morning paper.   

Offline Highhuntin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 07:41:19 AM »
agreed a boot that fits your foot is one of the most important parts.. I love my lowas but cant get them to stop giving my heels blisters when hiking up hill for a long time, I thought they would break in but still having issues, (first pair went back for a leak when I felt they were just  broke in) tried different socks and just picked up a pair of darn tough socks to try out.

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 08:59:22 AM »
+1 for having owned my last pair of Danners.
It would be one thing if they were consistent but my USA-made Danners fit totally differently than my Pronghorns and Danner didn't exactly bend over backwards when my Pronghorns split their soles.
My $99 Cabelas Iron Ridge Goretex boots are still great after 14 years. 
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 09:08:01 AM »
Had a pair of Zamberlin vios gtx that were great while they lasted. Got 2.5 good years out of them, then limped them through another year with shoe goo. I refuse to pay over $250 dollars for a pair of boots so most of the top brands are out of my range.

Offline Jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 09:24:16 AM »
For the wet side Elk hunting I love my Kennetrek Mountain Extremes. For the high buck hunt I have never had a more comfortable pair of boots than my Solomon GTX Ultra Mid Goretex hiking boots.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 09:28:41 AM »
Mountain hunting I really like Lowa Tibets but they took forever to break in... 100 miles and it wasnt fun but after that they have been awesome.

I havent found a day hunting boot i like. they all seem to blow seams, lead like a sieve or lose a sole in a month... I wouldn't recommend wolverine, danner pronghorn, solomon GTX or lowa renegade.

But like others have said. Its all about what works for you, your feet and your needs.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:56:58 AM by X-Force »
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 09:49:28 AM »
I have a tough time spending a lot of money on hunting clothes...well, I have a tough time spending money period :P....so what you guys are saying is, the Danner Vital 8 inch boots I bought last fall for $150 at Sportsmens Warehouse and wore about 6 times during late archery and thought were really comfortable....are going to fall apart rather then wear out?

I used to just wear my Merrill hiking shoes but upgraded to proper boots.

I bought a pair of Oboz hiking shoes($150) this summer and I really like them. Good traction going downhill on rocks,

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »
Best Ones???

The one that fit!!!!!!!!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]