collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best hunting boots on the market  (Read 17767 times)

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
Re: Best hunting boots on the market
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2018, 01:38:38 PM »
That depends on if I bought them, or I was made to wear them, whether I liked them or not!  :chuckle:
Doug

"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2018, 02:01:47 PM »
I have switched around from kennetreks, meindl, and zamberlan and have settled on Hoffman's.  I love mine

Offline goat berries

• Pilgrim
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2018, 03:24:13 PM »
Over the years, I've had a couple real good runs with the Meindl Perfekt Hunters. In between however, they changed the design and manufacture. Must have been quite a backlash, because they returned to tried and true afterwards.

Irregardless, I agree entirely with the concept that the boot that works best for you may not work best for the next person. So, while there are lots of shares here about the particular boot someone likes, I'd like to see more comments about the specifics of why that boot works for you- is it something about your particular foot configuration that the boot matches? If you've never run into foot issues, it may be hard to declare just why it fits you so well.

Here's what I appreciate in the Meindl Perfekt Hunter (I often hunt cold, wet places for weeks on end):
-real leather outside, so I can beeswax and pine tar oil it to my hearts content
-nice wrap-around rubber riser off the outer sole
-gore tex waterproofing
-400 gram thinsulate: not too much for a lot of movement, but shy of enough for a 10 hour sit in a cold stand
-the rubber compound of the outer sole is fantastically grippy without wearing away too easily; part of the reason friends have called me a mountain goat over the years, I'm sure
-general good fit that does not require a lot of break-in time, and no blisters

All that said, what kind of feet do I have? I'm like Fred Flintstone. Barefoot or in sandals a lot, VERY WIDE in the forefoot, but standard width in the heel. Consequently a TOUGH fit for most standard shoes out there. D widths are too painful. EE widths can work sometimes, but the heel will slop around too much. Even with EE widths, I usually need to buy a half size up for more width. I make the Meindl's work for the benefits stated above, but honestly, they are not my best match.

When Keen boots came out, they were a sweet foot for people like me with super-wide forefeet, yet standard heels. Keen made their name for their first 4-5 years off the needs of folks like me, then changed to conform to more of the rest of the population after they had gained notoriety.

I'm rather out of luck these days. Do YOU have WIDE forefeet?? If so, what works for you??
The Shikari is a person with deep intuitive connections to all aspects of the earth; tracking is an ancient doorway to this way of being. -Ingwe

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2018, 04:55:47 PM »
 :yeah: I am EEE as well.  Its a PIA find good fitting shoes/boots.  The Redwing Elk hunter boots have been a great fit and super cozy.  Can wear em 24hours a day.  Warm, grippy dry.  BUT the soles wear quickly so year or two and slicks.  I am not referring too the ones with suede type leather, those don't last me well.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »
Love my Irish Setters!!!  Will never buy another pair of Danners at any price!  They failed me too many times.

I've had Danners for years and they were okay and then switched to wolverines and they lasted 4 yrs and last Christmas wife took me boot shopping and I tried over a dozen boots and settled on Irish setters.

Comfortable and feet didn't get cold in single digit snow temps or in waist high snow.  :tup:
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2018, 05:55:56 PM »
Love my Irish Setters!!!  Will never buy another pair of Danners at any price!  They failed me too many times.

I've had Danners for years and they were okay and then switched to wolverines and they lasted 4 yrs and last Christmas wife took me boot shopping and I tried over a dozen boots and settled on Irish setters.

Comfortable and feet didn't get cold in single digit snow temps or in waist high snow.  :tup:
wait a second!!!!!! I thought you hunted in white Nike's  :dunno:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2018, 08:38:08 PM »
Irish settlers
Finally worn out this year after 10 years of use in the woods.
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline PastorJoel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2018, 09:12:08 PM »
I got less than 2 years out of my Irish setter Vaprtreks before they showed really bad wear.  They are really comfortable but didn't last.

I really want to buy another set because they are so comfy, but they just didn't last so I won't.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2018, 10:21:55 PM »
Im back with Danner USA editions this year.  Great boot, not faking apart like the old China crap.  However they are NOT as comfortable, great fitting, warm or light as the Irish are.  But they will last longer..
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2018, 10:25:57 PM »
Decided I am going to grab a pair of hoffmans as soon as I can get up north.

Thanks all.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2018, 10:59:08 PM »

Thanks all.

Go to Hoffman's, get a pair of boots.  Then go see Dave Smith and get a new truck.  You'll be fine!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2018, 09:20:06 AM »

Thanks all.

Go to Hoffman's, get a pair of boots.  Then go see Dave Smith and get a new truck.  You'll be fine!

Maybe will do in 2020.

UTV before truck :chuckle:

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2018, 09:26:37 AM »

:yike: :yike: :yike: why would you air my biz like that?!?! Maybe i wanted to sound cool and fit in to... :'( 

You know what!!! I bought a couple cans of bang to support Pepshi but now I'm not going to drink them...I'm going to throw them out in the woods while I'm driving eating my shreds and drinking a monster...there how do you like that, huh, huh, huh, huh?!?! @Karl Blanchard

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2018, 09:37:16 AM »

:yike: :yike: :yike: why would you air my biz like that?!?! Maybe i wanted to sound cool and fit in to... :'( 

You know what!!! I bought a couple cans of bang to support Pepshi but now I'm not going to drink them...I'm going to throw them out in the woods while I'm driving eating my shreds and drinking a monster...there how do you like that, huh, huh, huh, huh?!?! @Karl Blanchard
  I wouldnt!  They could be worth a lot of money here in the next week since we are almost out.  We haven't been able to get an order since September.  Literally the whole market is about to be empty :bash:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2018, 09:48:04 AM »

I wouldnt!  They could be worth a lot of money here in the next week since we are almost out.  We haven't been able to get an order since September.  Literally the whole market is about to be empty :bash:

WHAT!!! I remember when that happened with surge a few years ago. I ordered a ton and when everyone was out I was selling like cracky the crack dealer. Lol had customers in the store posting we had some. Hell, I jokingly told 1 kid I only had 2 cases left and he bought both. Hahaha I almost felt bad, almost. :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]