collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Youth mudflow bull tag  (Read 6264 times)

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Whack em and stack em!!
Re: Youth mudflow bull tag
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 08:25:35 PM »
thanks Bobcat for the link...really wish WDFW would have included that one page "info" update when they sent the permit, along with whatever "parts" they want us to collect...as the permit was on the standard letter just like all other permits. I have drawn the Toutle permit before so I know the area, to the south, pretty well and saw on the Weyeco page that access to the DNR land along the 3000 isn't restricted. I also figured we would have to hike into the mudlfow unit, so I really am not worried, luckily my son likes to "hunt" (hike)...but I will admit, WDFW makes it very confusing. it seems to me that 3 non-hunters helping only applies to the hunters with disability permit holders (as that is the grammar they used...) and only to the non-Wildlife Area portion of the Mudflow...again, confusing. but if others are allowed in there that are not hunters then how can WDFW say 3 helpers are allowed?

anyway, thanks for the info...his permit is good for Late Nov too which might push more elk into the area. for now, we will scout it out and see what we can find, and probably concentrate around Castle Lake...though that pack out will suck!

Grade
If your not sure, pick up the phone and talk to them personally I’m sure they’d clear up any confusion for ya. Don’t want to assume anything if your not sure. Good luck, sounds fun. I’m Hoping to draw mudflow soon...
To God alone be the Glory!!

Offline BuckSnort18

• Pilgrim
    • Kevin Barber
  • Groups: Rmef
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 10:50:43 AM »
Non-motorized access in the monument. That trail is on the boarder walk it if you go there. Plenty of area in this unit to hunt but you are going to work for it. Get in shape. You will need three helpers in most areas. My understanding is WDFW notes three helpers as a maximum, to reduce impacts to the monument and wildlife area.

Offline duckboy23

• Pilgrim
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »
Yes I called it a quad trail, but just walk it! And by looking at the GoHunt maps, it looked like the boundary for mudflow changed this year. Might want to follow up with that! And I totally agree and having helpers to pack meat! I can tell you though, it was one of the most memorable hunts I've had with my daughter so far!!  I live about 25 minutes from 5 corners if you know where that is, and always like helping people pack animals out if you need a hand!

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 08:15:40 AM »
My comment about the 3 helpers was in relation to the fact that they say others will be using the Wildlife area for non-hunting recreation, yet they put the comment about only using 3 helpers...thought it was kinda weird (and sad) that they stated this for the disabled hunters (as they get an access key for the road in it). My thoughts are, limit it to one vehicle but why make the comment about 3 helpers when it's public land and anyone can go in there!

Yes, I am aware of the non-motorized restrictions and that the more "friends" I can find to help pack out the cow the better! I also realize I have high jacked this thread...didn't mean to, sorry! I don't mind packing elk...and as far as "picking up the phone and calling them...(WDFW)" if they wanted certain elk parts then just tell us, I'm not going to call some idiot who doesn't hunt and ask them what parts they want...no phone numbers listed on the permit or the WDFW announcement, so obviously they don't want us calling them!

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 08:28:39 AM »
Edministerquality....just letting you know that you'll have no problem finding the access routes...my son got his map and a letter from WDFW last week for his cow Mudflow youth permit. It's a crappy map (printed out Google earth with the new boundary highlighted) but it shows what roads are open, including the private timber company lands and roads that will be open for the permit holders without needing an access permit, and the letter describes it all, surprisingly, very well, including the special permit is also your "permit" that allows the hunter and 3 helpers "off trail" authorization in the National Monument, which makes sense compared to the webpage WDFW posted about the "3 helpers"....and still no mention of any certain elk body parts they want, so that will lighten my pack out at least!

We will be in there next weekend for his cow hunt and I'll let you know what we find!

Grade

Offline Edminsterquality

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 11:36:54 AM »
Awesome.  Haven't seen letter yet. Thanks for the info and let us know how you guys do. Good luck!

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2018, 07:46:33 AM »
Thank you Duckboy23 for the info on the "quad trail", we hiked it out trying to get on some elk but the pushed to the bottom. and for Edminsterquality, we hunted up high all weekend and saw more bulls than cows, and some huge ones at that! We made the mistake of not going down to the bottom from the 504, but then again it was early and most of the elk we saw were still up on the ridges. Luckily my son has a late season second chance with his cow permit and we will be back for Thanksgiving weekend (along with everyone else I guess...). We ran into two other youth cow permit holders and as of Sat afternoon they didn't get their's either and had car trouble (they drew as a group). If you really want a good bull I HIGHLY suggest going to the far east end of the unit and get as close as you can to the eastern boundary...we saw a ton of HUGE bulls in the Pumice Plains unit, within a 1/4 mile of the Mudflow Unit.

I also got a PM from another member on here that gave me some info, so a "thank you" to them...I won't say who as they PM'd me and I wish I would have listened to their advice as well (go to the bottom). I will say that we really only had a few hours Sat morning as the rest of the time it poured rain, blew sideways, and yesterday it hailed and snowed on us...it was a good weekend, I just hope a lot more snow comes before the Thanksgiving hunt to push the elk down.

Offline Edminsterquality

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 11:55:17 AM »
Thanks for the info. Scouted up there 2 weeks ago and seen 25 bulls. Several in our area and some just across into pumice planets. Any bulls down off quad trail? Good luck to your son in a few weeks.  We will definitely be hunting up high if weather allows

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2018, 01:23:42 PM »
We chased a nice, heavy 5x5 bull with two cows along that quad trail out to the stand of timber on the end, they kept going down. And just after 5 corners on the way to Castle a huge bull crossed in front of us but went into the Toutle...probably the biggest bull we saw the entire trip!

Grade

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]