collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for advice - what muzzleloader?  (Read 10383 times)

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Looking for advice - what muzzleloader?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 09:58:42 PM »
I know several guys who have Traditions guns and one day everyone was talking about there guns and the Traditions guys were talking about having to replace the spring in the hammer after about two or three seasons... What kind of gun is that if you have to replace the spring after three seasons of hunting. You must have cocked it maybe 30 times in three years and it's worn out... Not my kind of gun

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 10:22:07 PM »
I know several guys who have Traditions guns and one day everyone was talking about there guns and the Traditions guys were talking about having to replace the spring in the hammer after about two or three seasons... What kind of gun is that if you have to replace the spring after three seasons of hunting. You must have cocked it maybe 30 times in three years and it's worn out... Not my kind of gun
If that’s true. Wow, that’s sad as hell.
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 10:39:03 PM »
Yep, I've never owned a Traditions but dont care to after hearing those guys stories. They had many misfires at elk before this and they told me how they were informed of the spring issue from other owners, and after that they replaced the spring and stopped having misfires... Until that spring wears out too... Maybe a company will make their own springs and you can replace yours with a reliable one that doesn't lose it's memory... :dunno:

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2018, 11:38:52 PM »
Thank you everyone for you input! Looks like I’ve narrowed down my selection to T/C encore pro and CVA Accura.

Ill have to show it off here when I do get it! 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

Offline MHWASH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 07:35:18 PM »
No way I would hunt with anything other than my Knight. Never let me down. Easy maintenance, accurate and reliable. TC is another good one, but I wouldn’t touch a CVA or Traditions. Too many people have asked me for help with those two brands.

No matter what brand you buy, but a peep sight on it. Knight and day difference.
Yes, I purposely spelt night wrong.

Online JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 09:03:40 PM »
No way I would hunt with anything other than my Knight. Never let me down. Easy maintenance, accurate and reliable. TC is another good one, but I wouldn’t touch a CVA or Traditions. Too many people have asked me for help with those two brands.

No matter what brand you buy, but a peep sight on it. Knight and day difference.
what issues were there with the CVA brand? Honest question just so I know if a issue comes up. I’ve not had a single issue YET but who’s to say something won’t
Thanks Jake

Offline duramax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 09:18:53 PM »
Knight bighorn with thumb hole and peep hole sights never had an issue with weather or firing.

Offline sjhgraysage

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2018, 11:46:20 AM »
At one time I had a TC Black Diamond .50 and it was a decent gun. I sold it and bought a used Knight Disc Extreme in perfect condition. IMHO they both take about the same amount of fiddling around to take them apart and get them properly cleaned after firing them. I don't have any issues with the Knight double safety system but could see how someone might not care for it. I have 2 Disc Extremes now and have both set up to shoot with shotshell primers. The way I have mine, the breech area stays spotless no matter how many shots are fired.

I also have a TC Hawken with a Green Mountain fast twist barrel and a custom side lock with Green Mountain fast twist barrel and L&R lock. If prepped right both of these will fire instantly using #11 percussion caps.

Advise: Shop around and pick up as many models as possible and pick one that fits you and your needs the best and you should be happy.

Offline MHWASH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2018, 06:39:51 PM »

what issues were there with the CVA brand? Honest question just so I know if a issue comes up. I’ve not had a single issue YET but who’s to say something won’t
Thanks Jake

I’ll admit I’ve only been around a small sample, but one had a breech plug that wouldn’t come out, honestly don’t know if it hadn’t been cleaned often. The three I’ve been around have had trouble getting them sighted in.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2018, 06:45:05 PM »
If you go traditions, get one with a hammer. I had nothing but problems with the strikerfire vortek I had. Other than that system, I really liked the rifle.
   :yeah:  Great gun, poor strike system.  With right spring, well oiled, and correct length firing pin they can work but if anything is off its a crap shoot.  Maybe if converted to 209 if possible ???

Offline Samloffler

• Hunter
  • Groups: Pheasants forever, RMEF
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 08:55:18 AM »
I see I wasn't the only one having issues with traditions. Take note, the striker fire guns are not convert able to 209. The parts fit, I tried it. After 3 test shots with primers only, the retainer to keep the striker cocked had sheared off so it wouldn't stay cocked. Lucky the part is only about $10. Fixed it and sold it.

I ended up buying the Remington 700 UML and have been really impressed. Did a bunch of test shooting the other day trying out powder and bullet/sabot combos. Over about 30 shots, some the same combos, most different, everything was within about 2.5 inches at 100 yards. Everything from 100 grains to 120 grains of pellets and 250 gr to 300 gr bullets and different sabots.

For anyone else wondering, the harvester scorpion pt gold 260 gr and crush rib sabots load great for me, not too hard, but still enough pressure to be confident. Shot them over 100 grains and 120 grains of T7 pellets and both shot great.

Offline ribka

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2018, 10:47:10 AM »
another CVA Accura v2 fan

It did not like the barnes and went with power belt platinums which shot very well out of it. 100 grains of ffg.

Like it better that my 2 knights. Super easy to clean, very accurate, great ergos for me. Put a williams peep and globe front sight on it.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »
Guess it kind of matters what type of hunting you intend to do. I like the challenge of getting up close (50-70 yards max)so I don't need anything to fancy. I've shot a Thompson Hawken 50cal for a number of years and have taken several deer with it.  Like any other gun you practice with it enough to personalize it and you're good to go. I've hunted down in Utah where basically anything goes and seems to me some of those boys are just shooting single shot high powered rifles.  Takes the fun out of it for me.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2018, 11:41:08 AM »
Guess it kind of matters what type of hunting you intend to do. I like the challenge of getting up close (50-70 yards max)so I don't need anything to fancy. I've shot a Thompson Hawken 50cal for a number of years and have taken several deer with it.  Like any other gun you practice with it enough to personalize it and you're good to go. I've hunted down in Utah where basically anything goes and seems to me some of those boys are just shooting single shot high powered rifles.  Takes the fun out of it for me.

That guns still better than a Traditions! :chuckle:

Online JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2018, 11:44:00 AM »
another CVA Accura v2 fan

It did not like the barnes and went with power belt platinums which shot very well out of it. 100 grains of ffg.

Like it better that my 2 knights. Super easy to clean, very accurate, great ergos for me. Put a williams peep and globe front sight on it.
exactly what I’m shooting! :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter