collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for advice - what muzzleloader?  (Read 10389 times)

Offline Killmore

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Looking for advice - what muzzleloader?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »
Sorry for the thread jacking, For you guys that put the front globe on your cva can you post which one you have and where did you buy it from. Does it also have the changeable inserts? I already have the peep sight just looking for more improvement.  Thanks

Offline BeerBugler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »
Marble dovetail (low as possible), Lyman globe 17a I think, lee shaver inserts. There’s a write up on gohunt.com for it but part numbers are for a T/C. I had to shim the dovetail.

Offline Samloffler

• Hunter
  • Groups: Pheasants forever, RMEF
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2018, 04:47:17 PM »
Don't buy the marbles dovetail. I've had mine and a friends not fit the Lyman globes. You could push the globes in by hand and rattle them around.

There are plenty of other brands, take your pick.

Offline TikkaT3-270Shortmag

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 08:59:30 AM »
Knight Bighorn 50 cal.

Offline Buck86

• Tracker
    • No
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2018, 10:22:48 AM »
This is a very difficult decision, and one I just made myself.  For me I wanted something that I could hunt if need be with #11 caps, or convert to 209 primers.  I hate Musket caps and feel I get better performance from my #11 caps and I have never had one not ignite my powder unless I messed up in the cleaning process, and I have hunted in some very very wet nasty weather in western WA.  So with that said I currently have a knight bighorn that I have had for close to 15 years.  I wanted something better than the red plastic jackets for the 209 primers.  So I was looking very hard at the CVA Accura as two of my buddies both have those with the nitride finish.  Then I saw on Knights Web site that the Disc Extreme was on sale for 499.99. about the same as the Accura but with more options for ignition systems, so that is the way I just went was the Knight Disc Extreme, they are on sale now and that is one heck of a price for them.  I ordered the western, and I plan on buying the bare 209 primer system for it. So it comes down to a matter of choice and what you think you prefer.  I like the fact that Knight is 100% American made, and now that I have received the new Disc it is a nice rifle. I have shot the CVA's and they are nice also.  For the same price, or maybe a few $$ less I went with the Disc Extreme.  Good luck deciding it is a tough decision but at least you can see the way I went. On a side note after hunting 3 days straight had to come home early, I shot my bighorn to unload it after being rained on pretty good for two of those days. then my buddy shot his Accura and he had a hang fire.?  I used #11 caps and he used the 209 primers with the blackhorn breech plug.  Kind of surprised me, and him also?  during all the range time never had an issue and his rifle seem basically water tight in the primer area once closed?  Oh I always tape the end of my barrel also to alleviate water seeping in from down the top, and his barrel was taped also. Wow this kind of went on for a while so sorry, but I personally would go with the Knight Dic Extreme, but don't think you would be disappointed with the CVA Accura either.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2018, 12:07:32 PM »
for those that might be looking for a new rifle...

https://www.muzzleloaders.com/

Knight DISC set for Western hunting

Really nice setup plus it works it is reliable and it is versatile...

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:29:23 AM by Sabotloader »
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline bkaech

• Scout
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2018, 06:30:47 AM »
I Love my CVA and know several guys who hunt with a traditions that wishes they had a CVA. I've got the Optima. With that said, I think everyone should have to hunt with and I wish I would have gotten a REAL muzzleloader, such as a Hawkins. My Dad packs a Hawkins and has the least amount of issues about getting powder wet as the rest of us with inlines.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2018, 07:16:42 AM »
I’m done with my cva accurra. It is easy to clean and accurate.  But the damn thing has cost me two bulls in the last 2 years. Last year it didn’t fire because the musket cap didn’t go off. Went off on the second try but it was too late. This year the cap went off but powder didn’t. Took it apart to reload and powder cane out totally dry. I reload each day, so it should have worked. 

I found this thread as part of my research for a new gun. Thinking disc extreme.

Offline Tenkara

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2018, 08:28:29 AM »

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2018, 08:51:59 AM »
I’m done with my cva accurra. It is easy to clean and accurate.  But the damn thing has cost me two bulls in the last 2 years. Last year it didn’t fire because the musket cap didn’t go off. Went off on the second try but it was too late. This year the cap went off but powder didn’t. Took it apart to reload and powder cane out totally dry. I reload each day, so it should have worked. 

I found this thread as part of my research for a new gun. Thinking disc extreme.

Since Washington now allows 209 ignition and Oregon is moving that direction for 2019 - If you were to go with the Knight DISC, I would suggest you order it with a 'Bare Primer' (NFPJ) ignition versus the 'Red Plastic Jacket' (FPJ) ignition.

You can see the spent primers in this picture.

Offline Buck86

• Tracker
    • No
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2018, 03:42:30 PM »
I agree with Sabotlaoder, however the only 2 options for the deal for 499.99(at least when I ordered mine) is either western ignition, or red plastic jacket.  I ordered the western ignition and plan to upgrade to the bare 209 primer in the near future.  I don't think you can go wrong with the Disc.  I posted in my previous post that my buddies CVA had a hang fire when we shot after hunting 3 days straight (just to unload), my bighorn went off like it was supposed to, and I use #11 caps on my bighorn.  So I am still not completely sold on the 209 primers.  I have not yet (except for improper cleaning) not had my bighorn fire or my Marlin (yes marlin manufactured a muzzy) with #11 caps. I did and would still recommend the Knight Disc, especially for the price they are right now.

Good Luck

Buck  :tup:

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2018, 06:07:55 PM »
Maybe its on here - isnt there a remington 700 muzzy or something similar?

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2018, 06:32:53 PM »
Maybe its on here - isnt there a remington 700 muzzy or something similar?

There are actually 2 Remingtons…. the original Remington 700ML and the new Remington Ultra Mag (Rum). The original Remington came with cap ignition then later a 209 adapter was added. The current RUM does not use a 209 primer but a shell casing with a rifle primer installed and then the cartridge is installed into the BP.

Follow this link to see the RUM

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=remington+700+muzzleloader&view=detail&mid=63F9F5E577994A3AD41663F9F5E577994A3AD416&FORM=VIRE

Offline Samloffler

• Hunter
  • Groups: Pheasants forever, RMEF
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2018, 10:19:25 AM »
I've got the new Remington ultimate muzzleloader. I really like it. The priming system works great. My only complaint is that its a little heavy compared to the break action CVA and traditions I've had.

Zero problems with the Remington thus far. havent hunted with it yet, but I've run about 75 shots through. Its super easy to clean.

Offline rgcopk9

• Tracker
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2018, 07:27:47 PM »
What’s the advantage or reason for the added cost of the mountaineer and ultralight? I’m assuming it’s the same action, barrel and trigger? Why spend $1K on one of those as opposed to the disc?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal