collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for advice - what muzzleloader?  (Read 10394 times)

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Looking for advice - what muzzleloader?
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2018, 02:21:47 PM »
I just ordered the disc extreme on sale.  After 2 years of the CVA costing me bulls, I sure hope I have better luck with this gun.  Late season is often rain for days on end.  I couldn't even get the CVA to go off when it was dry!

Offline BigVinn

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Tracker
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2018, 03:34:16 PM »
I love my knight disc extreme. I have had it three years and three elk with zero issues(other then me missing a bull last year lol). My buddy has a cva and it always seems to have problems firing. I am sticking with knight.

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2018, 03:57:44 PM »
I am sticking with knight.
Or T/C  8)
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2018, 12:30:03 PM »
Well, pulled the trigger on a CVA Accura V2 with Nitrite finish. Now it time to hit the range and try a few shots. Thank you to everyone who gave their 2cents and advice!

348gr bullet (Powerbelt)
Triple7 pellets (100gr)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

Offline Damnimissed

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »
Well, pulled the trigger on a CVA Accura V2 with Nitrite finish. Now it time to hit the range and try a few shots. Thank you to everyone who gave their 2cents and advice!

348gr bullet (Powerbelt)
Triple7 pellets (100gr)

Nice musket. I do highly recommend you ditch the power belts though. I got horrible performance with the 348gr on a bull (3 shots).
I’ve also killed elk with bloodlines and Barnes T-EZs. I would highly recommend choosing one of these for elk.

Online JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2018, 06:30:19 PM »
I used a 300 grain platinum powerbelt with triple 7 pellets (100 grain ) and dropped my 5x5  Roosevelt bull in at 120 yards one shot with my cva accura

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2018, 07:28:48 PM »

348gr bullet (Powerbelt)
Triple7 pellets (100gr)

Nice musket. I do highly recommend you ditch the power belts though. I got horrible performance with the 348gr on a bull (3 shots).
I’ve also killed elk with bloodlines and Barnes T-EZs. I would highly recommend choosing one of these for elk.

What happened to the shots?

The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

Offline Damnimissed

• Longhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2018, 08:52:34 PM »
I used a 300 grain platinum powerbelt with triple 7 pellets (100 grain ) and dropped my 5x5  Roosevelt bull in at 120 yards one shot with my cva accura

Those platinums are better than the regular Powerbelts but I’ll take Barnes or Bloodlines any day of the week.

Offline Damnimissed

• Longhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2018, 09:00:37 PM »

348gr bullet (Powerbelt)
Triple7 pellets (100gr)

What happened to the shots?

They didn’t hold together. Even a 15yd finishing neck shot didn’t exit or kill him. Go with Barnes T-EZ. You literally get 100% weight retention even after blowing through shoulders or other bone. You don’t want to hit any bone with a power belt.

Offline 7mmlong

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2018, 01:33:07 AM »
I have a T/C encore endeavor and I love it...It is a tack driver.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2018, 07:05:50 AM »

Those platinums are better than the regular Powerbelts but I’ll take Barnes or Bloodlines any day of the week.

I've got an CVA Accura V2.  I've been loading Pyrodex 50/50 for a couple years with several different bullets.  I have yet to gain any real accuracy with that powder.  The gun does best if I swab the barrel every round (pain in the butt and not practical while hunting.)   I'd try with Triple 7 powder or Whitehot to start with, and stay away from the Pyrodex altogether.

I found that Hornady SST bullets seemed to outperform Powerbelt Aerolites.  I shot my deer in the neck this year with a Powerbelt and it didn't kill him.  He just dropped and flailed on the ground till I climbed down from my blind and walked out and put a second round in him.  The bullet fragmented in his neck, which is apparently a frequent problem with this load. 

I tried the Barnes TMZs pre-season this year.  I couldn't get them down the muzzle with less than half my body weight leaning on the rod.  They are super hard to seat.  I'd stay away from these duds. 

Once you've put some shots downrange with your new gun, you might want to consider changing out the sights.  I was unhappy with the large front fiber optic sight and I like a rear ghost ring for open sights.  With the original setup, I couldn't accurately hold on the target when the front sight was larger than the target at 100 yards.  If shooting at a distance requiring hold-over with those fiber optic sights, you loose sight of the target completely.  Here's a couple articles on changing sight out for a more effective setup (IMHO).  I used a Pedersoli globe sight (instead of the Lyman), which comes with a better set of inserts.  The gohunt article has a good Q&A section at the bottom addressing problems in getting it set up.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/increased-accuracy-from-an-open-sight-muzzleloader#gs.lsbh_sA

https://gundigest.com/more/how-to/gunsmithing/upgrading-muzzleloader-open-sights

Enjoy your new gun!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:16:53 AM by fishnfur »
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal