collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cougar attack on a MZ hunter....Okanogan  (Read 5695 times)

Offline CedarPants

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Cougar attack on a MZ hunter....Okanogan
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 05:15:03 AM »
A real life cougar matador!  It's a lost art really.

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 08:01:44 PM »
Okanogan has a ton of cats. Same thing happened to my old man 4 years ago during modern rifle. However the cat never took a step.
Instagram @dmoua_outdoors

Youtube channel DMOUA OUTDOORS
https://www.youtube.com/user/YeXuSsOlDiEr

Offline reelamin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 08:57:50 AM »
Chelan County had same confirmed situation during this years bow season.   Cat not killed but came at bow hunter who hit it with his bow.   He was hunting some of our property, and said he just got a weird feeling and turned around.  It was just coming towards him and at a fast walk from about 5 yards and never stopped until he hit it with his bow.  We have the cat on camera but never seen him. 

Offline Harald

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA life
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 12:30:40 PM »
I haven't checked in here in a while, but this post was about me with my Knight Disc Extreme.  Thankfully my shot was quick enough and true and the 45 cal saboted Hornady XTP bullet did the job quickly.

The Cougar did leave it's mark on me physically (as well as mentally). Not wanting to ruin the hide by dragging it out of the woods like I would do with a deer if it was reasonably close to a road (especially downhill - I LOVE downhill drags  :) ), I chose to carry it out of the woods which left blood on my neck. In the future, I'll carry it to the road before gutting it.  ;)

I've also decided that in the future, my 40 caliber Glock will be on my hip when hunting with a primitive weapon.

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 12:39:19 PM »
Thanks for checking in, Harald!

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 12:48:38 PM »
Glad you got the quick shot, and it landed true.

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 12:54:43 PM »
Thanks for taking one out!
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline Harald

• Pilgrim
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 01:15:44 PM »
A little back story to make the cougar kill even more appreciated for me.  I was hunting with a few other guys I normally hunt with.  In the days leading up to being stalked by that cat, one of my buddies shot at and missed a really big 3 point muley.  It was really close, standing broadside and he should have had it. 

Another buddy shot a nice 4 point muley, but wounded it because his muzzy hang fired.  While tracking it, he bumped it and this time his muzzy didn't fire.  I've hunted with this guy for many years and he's a crack shot and both shots would be guaranteed kills for him normally.  He spent the rest of the day tracking it and never found it.  :'(  Oh yea, I found out later that his supplies are many, many years old.  Damp powder and caps may be ok at the range, but are not the best to use for hunting.  :bash:

Then I jumped a coyote and nailed it with my muzzy and it dropped on the spot.  As it lay there on it's back with it's feet in the air twitching a little, I was congratulating myself for saving a fawn when all of a sudden it jumped and ran off like it hadn't been hit.  Crazy!  :dunno:  I walked over to the rock where it had dropped and found a small puddle of blood.  I tracked the faint blood trail for a little, but then decided that I'm not planning on putting a tag on it or eating it so I better spend my time hunting for deer.

So the trend that week was for stuff to not die when shot.  You can imagine that I was especially thankful that the cougar shot worked rather quickly and a little praise went out to the Lord for my changing fortune.  Never did fill the deer tag but that's ok because I've got cat meat in the freezer.  :tup:

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 02:07:16 PM »
Exceptionally pretty cat.  Glad it worked out for you!
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Harald

• Pilgrim
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 02:08:31 PM »
Oh yeah, another guy posted in reply to my Fakebook post with his story similar to mine and this photo from his hunt in MT:

He can reload quicker than me, but I'd still rather have the ML for a quick cougar kill. :)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 02:53:03 PM »
Dang, that's a nerves of steel shot with a bow.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »
My dad shot a cougar this year with his muzzy too.  He was elk hunting and they were both stalking the same herd of elk.  The cat walked up on the road about 20 yards ahead of him.  When it saw him, it turned and started towards him rather than away.  He hit it dead center in the chest and it jumped back in the brush, but he said he was really wishing he had something other than an empty muzzleloader!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal