collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blacktail Deer Hunting  (Read 11769 times)

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
Re: Blacktail Deer Hunting
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2018, 12:48:07 PM »
Same here  :(
Hunted Hard all day Saturday and 1/2 of Sunday. Didn't see a single Deer.
Talked to 3 other hunting groups while out and nothing had been seen by anyone.   :yike:
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »
Ya, they tend to disappear after the first full few days of hunting pressure in boom stick season.  I've often thought these dang black tails have hundreds of yards of tunnel systems dug that they retreat to as needed.  I don't have any proof of this mind you (have never actually found an entrance to an underground tunnel), but, what other explanation can there be?  Oh ya, there is another school of thought that they can climb trees and are actually perched over head, sitting on fir branches as we still hunt through the big timber.  Or maybe they just sock up in ridiculously thick re-prod and/or brush patches and sit tight as they know we won't go "in there".  I'm staying with the tunnel system.... that just makes the most sense to me  :chuckle:.  Hang in there folks, they're out there..... they are just being a bit reclusive after the fireworks started on Saturday.     
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2018, 01:03:10 PM »
Here's what I started doing and found instant success: drive further east and hunt muleys or whitetails. 

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2018, 01:13:04 PM »
They’re there just not even thinking of Does yet . I helped a buddy get a forky and he was all alone not stinkin or leakin ! For blacktail the first week or so of the season is just scouting

Offline cavemann

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2018, 01:17:41 PM »
I have found a couple tunnels, right through backberry patches and huge, thick over grown maple and alder stands and impassable reprod..  I've tried to get through them and ended up losing half my gear off my pack!!  LOL..  we saw a couple 30mins before light ducking into those thick areas.  I got close enough to one doe I could have poked her with my rifle before she took off.  Scared both of us!!!

Need the rut...

Offline Tiger1358

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2018, 02:28:54 PM »

Meh none of those things bother me lol. It's more about the bear, and not wanting to go solo. But now I have a 10mm sidearm and pepper spray. I have seen firsthand how fast a black bear can be and how much damage they can do quickly. But overall pain is relative :), my pain tolerance is high and I grew up with a lot of these things in the midwest.

I come from a place where we have brown bears really intimidating people with their aggressive behavior and started first hunting black bears here with caution in mind. Trust me, black bears are really spooky and scared of people (in my experience), once they see or smell you, they'll disappear in seconds.

Don't worry about them, just concentrate on the blacktails, and why not keep a bear tag in your pocket, so you can shoot if you see one. They taste delicious in fall.

I am literally going to grab a tag, I found a lot of bear scat in the area I hunted on Saturday. This state is seriously the most beautiful place I could have ever winded up. A bad day in the woods is 1000x better than any day at work.

That's what I'm talking about  :yeah:

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2018, 10:30:27 AM »
The rut is just starting to happen...seeing more runs popping up, seen one mature buck someone got with a swelled up neck....give it a week or so and things will be going good ..this weather and clear cold nights has them moving all night...I'm seeing deer but there bedding in the thick brush...if your not seeing animals still hunt the timber or do pushes through reprod, you bump some deer. A friend seen one mature buck sniffing the air but wasn't able to close the deal do to someone else bombing around 30mph and spooking it off....an FYI for new hunters... please do not go bombing down roads that go into good cuts then turn around and just leave....your not going to see big blacktails with this "tactic" its just not gonna happen. Have common courtesy for fellow hunters  :tup: lots of guys out this weekend...I thought I was in rush hour traffic and everyone I talked to wasn't seeing anything from their trucks  :chuckle: Sunday morning I was watching 2 does in a steep cut and 3 rigs drove by and glassed from their windows and did not see a thing...these deer just sit perfectly still and with their winter coats they just disappear in the brush
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/zbogatz
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2018, 11:45:38 AM »
The rut is just starting to happen...seeing more runs popping up, seen one mature buck someone got with a swelled up neck....give it a week or so and things will be going good ..this weather and clear cold nights has them moving all night...I'm seeing deer but there bedding in the thick brush...if your not seeing animals still hunt the timber or do pushes through reprod, you bump some deer. A friend seen one mature buck sniffing the air but wasn't able to close the deal do to someone else bombing around 30mph and spooking it off....an FYI for new hunters... please do not go bombing down roads that go into good cuts then turn around and just leave....your not going to see big blacktails with this "tactic" its just not gonna happen. Have common courtesy for fellow hunters  :tup: lots of guys out this weekend...I thought I was in rush hour traffic and everyone I talked to wasn't seeing anything from their trucks  :chuckle: Sunday morning I was watching 2 does in a steep cut and 3 rigs drove by and glassed from their windows and did not see a thing...these deer just sit perfectly still and with their winter coats they just disappear in the brush

Yeah there were definitely a lot of people driving near us. Obviously just scouting areas looking for any sign and moving on. We stayed in our same spot for a couple of hours. We did hike around a lot, and I am sure we made too much noise at points. We tried not too, but sometimes you just can't see a stick underneath and if you lose footing it just kind of happens. But we were quiet as we could be.

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2018, 12:45:37 PM »
Saw the Marysville freeway 3pt chasing a doe yesterday evening around 6:30pm and my buddy had seen him around 5pm sniffing a does butt. He’s rutty.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline jnordwell

• Hunter
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2018, 04:41:19 PM »
Nice to hear. I’ve just about ran my kids in the ground the last 2 weekends. Not to many clear cuts where we have been hunting so walking and sitting walking and sitting is what we have been doing, haven’t seen a single deer that wasn’t in town. I’m starting to get upset...

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2018, 07:23:26 PM »
It's still early.  We'll continue to see lots of reports of ruttin' bucks happening all over the westside.  None of that matters if they ain't ruttin' near you.  (peak of the rut remains sometime around 12 November, give or take a few).  If we get some real weather, next weekend and the following week will be much improved.  At that point you're not seeing deer, it's time to move on till you find some.   

They don't call them Silver Ghosts and/or Ghosts of the Pacific for no reason.  They live up to their reputations quite often.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2018, 07:46:09 PM »
 Things will change drastically this week. Good hunting weather is coming just in time for pre-rut activities.
Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2018, 07:54:21 PM »
Looks like mid week!!!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2018, 07:58:54 PM »
Things will change drastically this week. Good hunting weather is coming just in time for pre-rut activities.

I'm pretty sure everyone here is hoping that you post up another masher this year 3nails.   :drool:
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/zbogatz
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2018, 12:05:45 PM »
I ran into a deer just before sunrise, couldn't tell if it was a buck or not. Went hunting from sunrise to 3pm yesterday with not seeing anything.

Do calls work at all? Is it too early for calls? I heard that when it rains the deer move more often? What does that mean? Does that mean I should just sit where they are bedding down at? Or should I be looking for certain things?

Also if I get a buck in one area, is there ever a chance that my brother could get his too? Would we need to move locations? Or if were patient and wait, could we see another one?

Also would deer evacuate a place if you are finding predator poop in the area? I think it's bobcat scat, but not 100% sure it could be mountain lion.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]