collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Citori Feather Question  (Read 5137 times)

Offline ComradeBuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Citori Feather Question
« on: October 10, 2018, 02:13:44 PM »
Finally in the market for a nice upland gun (for the first time in my life). I have shot a lot of Citoris in my time and definitely prefer the feel of them to many of the other O/Us out there (Beretta's, the new Benellis, 101s, etc). They fit me and I shoot them well.

I have never handled a Citori Feather 12 gauge and never even seen one, but I have read good reviews and like the idea of them. I definitely carry my gun more than I shoot it, and less weight does appeal to me. However, where I hunt the pheasants are few and the pressure is high, I shoot a lot of 3'' shells. Apart from opening weekend, I run 3'' basically the whole time. I have some concerns about recoil with these magnum guns and the lighter weight of the Feather.

Does anybody have experience shooting magnum loads out of a 12g Feather? How bad is the "ouch". I don't do high volume shooting, but also don't want to buy a gun that makes me avoid magnum loads.

Just looking for thoughts/opinions...

Offline ComradeBuck

• Pilgrim
Re: Citori Feather Question
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 02:15:36 PM »
Should add: I do quail and chuckar and grouse hunt, and the gun would be used for that as well...but I run 2.75'' lighter loads for them.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 03:45:12 PM »
I have a CZ Upland Ultralight that's supposed to weigh 6 lbs.  I'm in Moses Lake and if you want to try 3 inch in it let me know.  I shoot 3 inch duck loads out of a Citori 725 Field that weighs 7 lbs, 4 ounces, per the book.   

Offline ComradeBuck

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 09:51:20 PM »
Pretty crazy busy these next few weeks as I’m sure we all are this time of year, but I may take you up on that later if the offer stands. Have you fired 3”s through the CZ? How do they compare to the standard weight citori?

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 07:43:45 AM »
I only use the CZ when I'm after upland.  Haven't shot steel thru it other than upland steel which is usually 2 3/4 inch.   The 7 lb Citori i shoot all types of 3 inch loads thru it other than the hypervelocity stuff. 

Online jackson7

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 02:16:10 PM »
Think it would depend on how much I am just pheasant hunting. My experience has been lots more shooting on the covey birds. For the occasional pheasant shot, have to say never felt it. Now doing it 20x a day might be a different story. Might think on going with larger shot.
good luck. 

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 03:13:08 PM »
Pretty crazy busy these next few weeks as I’m sure we all are this time of year, but I may take you up on that later if the offer stands. Have you fired 3”s through the CZ? How do they compare to the standard weight citori?

I have the CZ U UL as well and it will rattle your teeth and make your nose run with heavy loads.  I expect the Browning is similar.  The laws of physics can't be avoided. 

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 04:34:08 PM »
Since 3” shells are overkill for all upland birds, I wouldn’t worry about it.  Shoot some moderately paced 2 3/4” shells and find the gun you like.  Ive never succombed to the magnum crazy, and I never will.  I GUARANTEE you the birds I hunt are a hell of a lot more pressured than the birds in WA, yet I’ve never actually seen the need for a 12 bore.

Offline ComradeBuck

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 05:46:38 PM »
Respectfully disagree on the magnum loads, but do appreciate the response. Apart from opening weekend and a  rare heavy snowfall, it’s very  rare for us to get shots under 40 yards. Almost all going away. In the thick cover, I’ve found a 3” load of 4s really cuts down on unrecovered birds. Although I do have to hold off a bit  on the odd bird that gets up close.

The Feathers don’t seem to differ that much in weight from the standard beretta 686s. I like the feel and weight of them better than the standard Citori, but they just don’t fit well.

Thank you all for the food for thought as I make a purchase.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 06:28:37 PM »
You don’t need to use magnum loads for birds well beyond 50-60 yards.  Youve fallen into the magnum hype.  Fedearal Premium  2 3/4” loads shoot 1 1/4oz oz lead  at 1500 FPS.  If you can’t kill birds with that at 50-60 yards all day long, it’s not the load, it’s you.  Kent loads their 1 1/4 oz bismuth loads at 1350fps in 2 3/4” shells.  The 3” loads only ad 1/4 oz of shot.  If that 1/4 oz of shot is important, you need to pattern your gun and learn how to shoot, because in the real world, it won’t make a damn bit of difference.  Im killing tons of late season wild birds at 40-50 yards with 7/8 oz of #5’s at 1125fps with IC and MOD chokes.   BTW.  I ONLY shoot double guns.  If your looking for a good double and you like Brownings, just buy a Muroku, and save a lot of money on the name.  Unless you desperately need the name Browning next to Miroku, which is nearly, or the exact same gun at half the cost..

https://www.browning.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/firearms-manufactured.html

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 08:53:31 PM »
Sounds like some very personal opinions are being voiced.  I had the Feather in 12 ga but only shot it at the range at 5 stand.

If you like and want to run 3” mags then do it, it is a sweet shotgun. If you can afford one then by all means do it. The Feathers have a nice recoil pad on them and I am sure you won’t feel the difference between a 2-3/4” and 3” when shooting at a bird. 

If 3” is your go to then use what your confident with. Pattern it as mentioned as all ammo flies a bit different. 

Good luck and happy shooting!
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline nutntoit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 10:05:40 AM »
The Citori feather isn’t that light of a gun to begin with so I wouldn't be too worried about it. I shoot a 26in barreled Citori and it weighs 7.5 lbs. most feathers that I have seen weight around 7 pounds. I only shoot 3/4in shells out of it but I can definitely tell the difference between a target load and a heavy field load of 5s in that gun. I wouldn’t want to shoot 3in mag all day but if I had to in a hunting situation, it wouldn't bother me. Like you said, hunting involves more carrying your gun than shooting it anyway.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 11:53:10 AM by nutntoit »

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 03:05:42 PM »
The current 12 gauge Citori Feather with a 26 inch barrel is listed at 6 lbs 7 ounces and has a 3 inch chamber.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 03:34:51 PM »
If I am only pulling the trigger a few times a day, I really don't care how hard the recoil is.  In hunting situations you just don't really feel it.  Although, I do disagree with Jet Jockey on the magnum loads.  Better penetration of shot from the magnum loads is a factual statement.  More speed when it hits means more kinetic energy as well.  I'm not saying magnum loads will always be best out of your gun, but if they pattern well, they will be more lethal.  For me, I like the weight savings.  If you are shooting clays or trap, I would prefer a heavier gun.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 04:50:41 AM »
The only thing a 3” she’ll gives you is 1/4oz more shot.  That 1/4 oz is useless if your shooting long shots with open chokes.  I’d be willing to bet that there aren’t many more bb’s in a pattern at 50+ yards, as a matter of fact, I know there aren’t.  All chokes have a simlar core pattern when shooting at 50-60+ yards.  While I do agree that speed kills, there’s plenty of speed in 4 and 5 shot to get more than enough penetration at 50-60 yards with shells shooting roughly 1200fps.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 05:00:35 AM by jetjockey »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10