collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Reloading thought  (Read 4147 times)

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Reloading thought
« on: October 10, 2018, 06:43:27 PM »
So in my 7mag I have been using the same load for a few years.  71.5 grains of H-1000 with 168 grain bergers VLDs, seated at an ogive of 2.725ish.  Did some shooting today after loading up a new batch.  The only thing different was I annealed some of my older brass, and bought a new can of powder.

Results were the annealed brass was way too hot of a load.  So hot the bolt stuck on every round.  I shot the last few rounds of the brass that wasnt annealed and they were money.  The loads were so hot that on the 20 or so rounds I didnt fire I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder and weighed it thinking I was 4 or so grains over.  They all measured right at 71.4ish.  I did measure a few on seating depth, and were a few that were seated a little deeper say 2.716 plus a minus.

Reloaded some of the brass that I shot today dropping the powder charge but keeping the 2.725 ogive.  Started at 67 to 70, four rounds each.  Ideas of what could have caused the REALLY hot load? 

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Reloading thought
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 06:50:08 PM »
Different lots of powder can be way hotter.  Sounds like you got a hot one.

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 06:50:44 PM »
I have my doubts, about the source of the excessive pressure being the brass. I suspect it is the fresh powder that is the culprit.

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 06:57:08 PM »
I just cant believe the new lot of powder was that much hotter.  I would guess 4 grains hotter or more if that makes sense.  At 200 yards the new lot was impacting 5 inches higher than the old lot, and I could barely get the bolt to open.  Going to shoot again tomorrow and see if I dropped the charge enough to get back on track.

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 06:58:25 PM »
Seen it many times. Different lot of powder is the culprit. Time to recalibrate with the new lot.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 07:00:56 PM »
Wow that’s extreme. Did you happen to shoot any over the chrono?  I have burned up pounds of h1000 and never seen results like that
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 07:13:00 PM »
Wow that’s extreme. Did you happen to shoot any over the chrono?  I have burned up pounds of h1000 and never seen results like that

I chrono'd the load prior to the new lot at 2940.  Not sure what it was at today.

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 11:07:11 PM »
Well I have reduced the load, and putting the finishing touches on the new charge weight.  4 more loads to sample before I decide.  One question, something I hadnt noticed until today, but after shooting probably a dozen loads that were too hot, and dealing with having to man handle the bolt to eject the fired cases, the bolt seems tight.  With or without a round chambered.  I gave it a good scrub, and lube today, but still tighter than it should be.  Thought about putting a bit of lapping compound on the rear of the bolt lugs and working that in to see if it loosens up.  Bad idea?  I even removed the action from the stock to verify.  Same tight open/closing bolt.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 08:27:39 AM »
Lapping the bolt lugs will affect headspace. As your moving the bolt back a small amount

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 08:45:33 AM »
Shouldnt take more than 1 to 2 thou to smooth out

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 08:50:31 AM »
Did you happen to check brass with go no go gauge?

Before any lapping is done i would check the bolt for concentricity,You may have bent the bolt some how.I cant see any other way for it to be tight if clean.  :twocents:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Yondering

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 09:01:18 AM »
Well I have reduced the load, and putting the finishing touches on the new charge weight.  4 more loads to sample before I decide.  One question, something I hadnt noticed until today, but after shooting probably a dozen loads that were too hot, and dealing with having to man handle the bolt to eject the fired cases, the bolt seems tight.  With or without a round chambered.  I gave it a good scrub, and lube today, but still tighter than it should be.  Thought about putting a bit of lapping compound on the rear of the bolt lugs and working that in to see if it loosens up.  Bad idea?  I even removed the action from the stock to verify.  Same tight open/closing bolt.

:yike:

For starters, if you fire a round that is hot enough to stick the bolt, STOP SHOOTING! You may well have damaged the bolt lugs by continuing to fire that ammo. Have a gunsmith check it out instead of messing things up further with lapping compound.

Changing powder lots can absolutely do what you described, especially if you're already loading near max.

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 10:55:01 AM »
Yes, probably should have stopped sooner with the hot load, but since have dialed it in to about .6 MOA with the new load., which is 5 grains lower than my go to load with the same powder.  Finish the year with it and either going full custom or semi with this action on a new barrell and stock.  If I go semi I will have the smith check the bolt out.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 11:40:23 AM »
What’s your process for annealing the brass?

Offline Yondering

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 11:49:19 AM »
Yes, probably should have stopped sooner with the hot load, but since have dialed it in to about .6 MOA with the new load., which is 5 grains lower than my go to load with the same powder.  Finish the year with it and either going full custom or semi with this action on a new barrell and stock.  If I go semi I will have the smith check the bolt out.

Sounds like a good plan.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal