collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Camera thiefs  (Read 12420 times)

Offline builtfordtough

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Camera thiefs
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2018, 06:59:18 AM »
Good ? Was wondering the same thing.

I have another ?, is it illegal to have tree stands up right now on public lands.? This particular tree stand has foot spikes hammered in to the tree

Offline bornhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2018, 02:46:27 PM »
I need to get a camera. Which brand would ya'll recommend without breaking the bank. My buddy has a Bushnell and I like its simplicity. I think he paid about a buck and a half.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2018, 02:55:26 PM »
I need to get a camera. Which brand would ya'll recommend without breaking the bank. My buddy has a Bushnell and I like its simplicity. I think he paid about a buck and a half.

Stc-g42ng off amazon. They are $99 on prime. Use to run bushnell. Sold all them and went with stealth-cam. Never looked back.

Offline bornhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2018, 03:00:02 PM »
Ok thanks. I will check them out.

Offline Fish4Fun

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2018, 01:25:55 PM »
I had 2 Stealth Cams stolen off of Bethel Ridge last year. We are pretty sure we know the HUNTER ( YES HUNTER ), that took them as he was complaining to our friends camp that the cameras bothered him. He knew where both of them was located, funny part is he made sure to tell me before daylight opening day that they were both there weeks earlier. Now, why did he happen to know ?  Both cameras were cut with a hacksaw to remove them, the cut off bolts were still visible. I really don't think most people carry a hacksaw through the woods to cut steel bolts if they didn't know where the cams were located.

So, YES there are still dirt bag piles of crap in the woods that will look at you and tell a lie

Offline BreezyBear

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • RMEF Life Member
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2018, 09:50:52 AM »
Went to pull cameras yesterday......TWO were stolen!!  Both in Custom 1 security boxes with large Master locks, doesn't matter when a sawsall is in a dirtbag's backpack!  Some people SUCK! 

Offline justyhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2018, 12:55:10 PM »
I am similar in approach to Dan-O, but cheaper cameras and usually do not leave in a  too obvious spot.  Left one pretty obvious last time, but I am not sure I really like that camera so would be less disappointed if that one goes missing. Its about 5-7 years old and pics up motion a little slow.

To the folks that hang their cameras high off the ground, do you climb trees or do you have a portable set of steps? I have thought about hanging them higher just not sure how I want to go about it.

I use 4 strap-on steps that can get my camera about 12-15 ft. up . I also use a stripped down climbing tree stand, it's easier to use but is more cumbersome in the woods to carry so I usually use the steps. I built some hangers using eye bolts and a flat peice of steal that I strap to the tree. Never had a camera stolen but we did have a bear climb 12 ft. up the tree and destroy one.

Offline KILLA

• Tracker
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2018, 02:16:58 PM »
It's just like anything else. Calculate the probability based on certain conditions. The condition will determine the probability of the outcome.

Conditions:

1) How difficult is it to get to the site where the camera is located?
2) How difficult is it to see the camera in the environment you place it?
3) How difficult is it to remove the camera from where you place it?

I tend to place my cameras where the answer to each of those question is: Very difficult. In six years, I have only had one person on all of my cams, who was very respectful and left it.

That being said, this is the first year that I have placed some of the cams in a areas that are easier to get to, but with a lock and in inconspicuous places. Therefor the probability that I have one stolen goes up... I hope none are missing when I retrieve them, but then again, I knew the odd's when I placed them.

It has nothing to do with other people. It has everything to do with how we calculate the probability of the outcome.

HAPPY HUNTING!
Hunting : The best solution to every problem.

Offline jtrammell

• Hunter
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2018, 04:48:48 PM »
t=3s

Some of you have seen the video of me catching two guys trying to steal my trail camera. Once I posted this to Facebook, I had SO MANY people telling me that these two are known poachers in the area and that they have been known to break the law frequently. Are they poachers  :dunno: do they break the law often  :chuckle: I cant say for a fact that they are poachers. Their public criminal records tell me the go to court a lot. 

Offline LongBomb

• Scout
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2018, 05:07:45 PM »
t=3s

Some of you have seen the video of me catching two guys trying to steal my trail camera. Once I posted this to Facebook, I had SO MANY people telling me that these two are known poachers in the area and that they have been known to break the law frequently. Are they poachers  :dunno: do they break the law often  :chuckle: I cant say for a fact that they are poachers. Their public criminal records tell me the go to court a lot. 

:tup: nice on catching them at it!! @jtrammell What kind of set up do you use? Ive lost 2 on private property that I'm the only one allowed to be on.  :bash:

Offline jtrammell

• Hunter
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2018, 05:15:33 PM »
t=3s

:tup: nice on catching them at it!! @jtrammell What kind of set up do you use? Ive lost 2 on private property that I'm the only one allowed to be on.  :bash:

I used a CamLockBox with a pad lock. If you watch the video, they shoot the lock in order to get it off.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal