collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Take Action - Send An Email to Friends & Family regarding I-1639  (Read 3912 times)

Offline silverdalesauer

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
  • Faith, Family, Hunting, Fishing, and Dogs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/tiebinds
    • The Tie That Binds: Outdoor Ministry
  • Groups: Christian Waterfowlers Association; NRA Life Member; GOA; DU; DW
There are over 20,000 members on this forum. 20,000!!! I'm not sure how many of them are registered Washington voters, but I suspect that there's a huge group. Our gun rights are on the chopping block and in the next 30 days, we may all be in BIG TROUBLE!

So, I want to invite you to do just 4 simple things to get the word out. It's simple:

1.  Respond to this post with a reply "I will vote 'NO' on I-1639"

2.  Go to your Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Tumbler, or other social media sites and post "Vote No on Initiative 1639"

3.  Click here to find videos, downloadable content, photos, and information to read up on this poorly written initiative:

https://www.initiative1639.org/

https://saveoursecurity.net/

https://www.ccrkba.org/

4.  Copy this text below and paste it into an email to 5 or more forum members here to get the word out.

Hey [Insert Name Here],

I was just wondering if you have heard about Initiative 1639 that will be in the Washington State ballot this fall? Do you know what it's about and how it will drastically impact your gun rights? Check it out and then share this same message with 5 of your friends or family. Spread the word and Vote "NO" on 1639.

WHY VOTING NO ON INITIATIVE 1639 IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO
Sponsors of Initiative 1639, billed as the “Reduce Assault Weapon Violence: Safe Schools, Safe Communities Initiative,” promise it will “address many of the causes of recent tragedies.” It’s no surprise that bills with proposals similar to I-1639 have all failed in the Washington State Legislature. Current state law already prohibits persons under 18 years of age from possessing a gun (with exceptions), mandates a dealer-initiated background check before a gun may be sold, loaned, or otherwise transferred (even for private transactions), and makes it a crime to possess a weapon on school grounds, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used by public or private schools. Initiative 1639 does nothing to increase security in schools or address gang violence – it actually makes Washington’s communities less safe by restricting access to firearms for lawful self-defense. Initiative 1639 is 30 pages of poorly drafted gun-control proposals that is guaranteed to do one thing: strip away the constitutional rights of lawful gun owners in Washington State.

Read on for why I-1639 is bad news for Second Amendment supporters and why you should vote NO on this misguided initiative.

REASON #1 TO VOTE NO

This initiative adds a new and bizarre definition of a “semi-automatic assault rifle” (“SAR”).
I-1639 defines ordinary and entirely legal hunting guns, competitive shooting rifles, and target shooting rifles as “assault rifles” that are subject to new government restrictions on purchase, transfer, possession, and more. Section 16 defines a “SAR” as “any rifle which utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge,”

REASON #2 TO VOTE NO

"Higher Age Requirement"
I-1639 bans adults under 21 years of age from purchasing pistols and semiautomatic rifles. Bans the possession of semiautomatic rifles by anyone under 21 – even guns lawfully possessed prior to the effective date in the Initiative – except as permitted in a few poorly drafted and uncertain exceptions. This discriminatory law essentially bars young adults – who vote, serve in the military, and live independently – from access to common and effective self-defense weapons for no other reason other than age. 

REASON #3 TO VOTE NO

"New Gun Taxes"
I-1639 imposes yet another government fee on the people of Washington by authorizing a new statewide fee on semiautomatic rifle sales and transfers. This $25 fee adds to the existing sales taxes and dealer fees, applies regardless of the value of the firearm, and will be charged in non-sale transfers as well as retail sales. Future increases in the fee amount are authorized by the initiative. These financial barriers will have a disproportionate impact on access to firearms for self-defense by low-income, fixed-income, and other vulnerable populations.

Download a printable flyer, yard sign and more to help spread the truth about I-1639 - https://www.initiative1639.org/take-action/

REASON #4 TO VOTE NO

Threats to Personal Privacy
I-1639 allows the State Department of Licensing to collect the personal information of gun owners through mandatory reporting of sales and transfers of semi-automatic rifles, without limits on how this information may be used. Besides putting sensitive personal data at risk, this opens the door to a government registry of guns and gun owners.   
REASON #5 TO VOTE NO

"Training Certification Requirement"
I-1639 imposes a new training precondition to buy or acquire a semi-automatic rifle, with no exceptions for persons at immediate risk from domestic abusers or stalkers, or already trained government agents, military and law enforcement personnel, and firearm instructors.

REASON #6 TO VOTE NO

“Mandatory Storage”
I-1639 creates a new class of “community endangerment” crimes for gun owners who fail to keep firearms in any location “in secure gun storage” or otherwise inaccessible for immediate use, and allows prosecutions of gun owners when a prohibited person steals or otherwise gains access to an incorrectly stored gun. This has no exceptions for corrections officers or law enforcement personnel. The primary reason for keeping a gun in the home is protection and self-defense, and I-1639 places citizens at unnecessary risk by prohibiting this immediate access.

REASON #7 TO VOTE NO

New Regulatory Burdens
I-1639 burdens gun dealers with additional mandatory paperwork, sales restrictions, signage, customer notices, collection and accounting of fees, and other compliance requirements. Because of existing state and federal laws, licensed firearm dealers are already among the most regulated of all businesses. Initiative 1639 will add even more rules, along with potential criminal liability, for gun stores and dealers – even though criminals don’t get their guns from legal sources like retail dealers and gun shows. The real costs of this new regulatory regime will fall on gun dealers, small gun shops, and anyone looking to legally purchase a gun.

REASON #8 TO VOTE NO

Gun Confiscation
I-1639 sets the stage for government confiscation of guns. Section 15 of the initiative directs the Department of Licensing and law enforcement agencies to develop a “cost-effective and efficient” verification process (on at least an annual basis) to confirm (1) that persons who possess pistols or semi-automatic rifles are in legal possession of all firearms, and (2) to “take steps to ensure” that persons are not in “illegal possession.” The initiative doesn’t rule out seizure and confiscation of firearms as means of enforcing this directive.   
REASON #9 TO VOTE NO

Ineffective
I-1639 is unlikely to have a meaningful impact on weapons in schools or violent crime. This “Safe Schools, Safe Communities Initiative” will have a minimal impact on crime and public safety, apart from inhibiting lawful self-defense. State law already makes it a crime to possess guns and dangerous weapons in schools and places used for school events, and imposes a general ban on persons under 18 possessing guns, with some exceptions. Other state laws prohibit criminals, including those convicted of crimes as juveniles, and other dangerous people from possessing guns.

READ THE TEXT OF INITIATIVE 1639 HERE: https://sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/finaltext_1531.pdf

Thanks for taking the time to read this and to share it with other friends and families.

Take care,

[Your Name Here]

-------------------------
Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate. - Psalm 127:3-5

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Take Action - Send An Email to Friends & Family regarding I-1639
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 05:17:26 AM »
will vote no
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline JimSR.

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 10:57:34 PM »
I've sent hundreds of emails, handed out hundreds of flyers, bumper stickers, yard signs & I wear my No on 1639 shirts & hoodies wherever I go.
If people were seripus & got off their couches we would not have to fight this crap every damn year!!!

Offline Hi-Liter

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 10:06:13 AM »
Already voted mailed in the ballot Voted a NO 1639

My wife, dad, mom, sisters, brother in law, and told many friends to vote NO.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 10:08:38 AM »
There were a few guys I work with that haven't voted before and said they actually registered so they could specifically vote no on 1639.

Offline woodswalker

• Curmudgeon in training
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Gun-Repair-153675238330367/?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
    • Grumpys Gun Repair
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, SRPA WHEIA
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 10:09:58 AM »
Will be voting NO on all the I-16XX initatives....

In addition there is literature and a posting in my shop (Grumpys Gun Repair) about how this will impact gunowners, ALL of them.
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

Whatta ya mean I can't have one of each?

What we have here is...Washington Department of NO Fish and WATCHABLE Wildlife.

WDFW is going farther and farther backwards....we need FISH AND GAME back!

Offline tritt007

• youngin
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 10:18:35 AM »
Already voted no! . Let most of my friends and co-workers know , I also have a sign on the headache rack of my pickup and have handed out alot of stickers .
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security  -Benjamin Franklin

Offline silverdalesauer

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • Faith, Family, Hunting, Fishing, and Dogs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/tiebinds
    • The Tie That Binds: Outdoor Ministry
  • Groups: Christian Waterfowlers Association; NRA Life Member; GOA; DU; DW
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 09:22:15 AM »
Bump. One more week left to get out the word.

Don't let up!
Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate. - Psalm 127:3-5

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 09:45:46 AM »
The Wife and I are undecided on this one.
Could you give specific examples of the firearms mentioned in “reason #1”
Thanks
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 09:54:09 AM »
Thanks

A Ruger 10/22 would be classified as a "semi-automatic assault rifle".

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 09:58:15 AM »
Or Winchester Model 100, Browning BAR, etc.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 10:44:09 AM »
Thanks

A quick search said this gun is a semi-automatic.  One place said it can be modified for a 100 round clip?  Is this true?

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 10:50:05 AM »
Thanks

A quick search said this gun is a semi-automatic.  One place said it can be modified for a 100 round clip?  Is this true?

I'm surprised you need to do a search to find out a Ruger 10/22 is a semi-auto rifle.  Anyway, the initiative classifies all semi-auto rifles as "assault rifles".

And the 10/22 doesn't need modified to take a 100 round clip.

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 10:51:19 AM »
Really only 1 reason you need to know for a NO vote..........it is an infringement on our rights.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 10:52:49 AM »
Thanks

Anything that can take a detachable is somewhat unlimited. 100 rds is known.

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 11:07:13 AM »
Thanks

Thanks

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: Take Action - Send An Email to Friends &amp; Family regarding I-1639
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 11:09:48 AM »
Thanks

Thanks

Also, it’s not a clip.  It’s a magazine.

The concern over magazine capacity has been proven time and time again to not actually be an issue when it comes to the ability for rounds to be pushed down range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 11:29:16 AM »
Generally the more rounds a mag holds the more likely it jams or malfunctions.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 12:32:47 PM »
If you have a rifled barrel for a semi-auto hunting shotgun, you will own an assault rifle.  Even with the 2 round plug in your duck gun, it may be an assault weapon.  Yep, a Barrett bolt action 50 cal capable of 1,500 yard shots isn't, but your duck gun with 3 rounds of #8 is.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 12:40:55 PM »
Thanks

Undecided? How is that possible? Regardless of the specific restrictions in this initiative, any new law that restricts our gun ownership rights should be a definite NO vote. There's nothing to even think about here. First of all, adults 18-21 years old would no longer be able to purchase semi-automatic rifles. That right there is unconstitutional. Then there is the requirement to take a firearm training course for anyone who owns a semi-automatic rifle. The cost for that is unknown and unlimited. Probably another restriction being put on us that would be unconstitutional. Third, if a firearm is stolen from your home that wasn't locked in a safe, you can be charged with a crime.

How is there anything in this initiative that makes you even consider for a moment voting yes?   :o

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 01:10:58 PM »
Here's a few reasons:

1.  The bill develops a statewide gun registry and the local police are required to check periodically to make sure you are still eligible to own the firearm.  If not, they are mandated to come knocking and confiscate it.

2.  The bill requires training which is poorly thought out or defined as well as several new taxes.

3.  The bill prevents people like 20 year old single moms from obtaining effective self defense firearms.

4.  The bill requires you to have those firearms locked and not readily accessible anytime they are in your home, effectively preventing you from using them in the case of a break-in or similar crime.

5.  The bill defines any semi-auto as an assault weapon, as mentioned this includes .22's, waterfowl and deer shotguns and many other firearms that make absolutely no sense.

6.  The bill requires you to report any theft within 5 days or you are a felon, lose your rights to own weapons and can go to jail.  This also opens a wide door for civil litigation that could cost you 6 or 7 figures in the event someone breaks into your house, steals your gun and then commits a crime with it.  I'm not sure what happens if you don't notice the theft for five days or are on vacation, etc.

7.  This is undoubtedly the first pass, future initiatives will certainly build on this.  The state will have a record of every semi-auto you purchase and this could lead to confiscations in the future or additional requirements for ownership, taxes, licenses, etc.

8.  Several law enforcement organizations are opposed.

9.  It is funded by billionaire out of state money like Bloomberg who has publicly supported confiscation and bans, do we think he'll stop at this?

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2018, 01:16:46 PM »
How would it become law if it’s unconstitutional? Won’t the courts strike it down?

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 01:22:46 PM »
How would it become law if it’s unconstitutional? Won’t the courts strike it down?

It becomes law if the voters approve it...as far as the courts...well who knows which way the wind will be blowing!
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2018, 01:44:36 PM »

It becomes law if the voters approve it...as far as the courts...well who knows which way the wind will be blowing!
Thanks,to you and the other replies.  I’ll admit there’s a couple things I thought the concept was ok, but it all seems to go too far. Just way too much.
I have everything on my ballot filled out but this one.  I’ll admit I’m not a expert on firearms. That’s why I asked some questions.
We will be voting no on this.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2018, 02:05:50 PM »

Thanks,to you and the other replies.  I’ll admit there’s a couple things I thought the concept was ok, but it all seems to go too far. Just way too much.
I have everything on my ballot filled out but this one.  I’ll admit I’m not a expert on firearms. That’s why I asked some questions.
We will be voting no on this.

Good for you for taking a minute and asking some questions to aid in making your decision. 
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]