collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mt Whittier Bull tag  (Read 6474 times)

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Mt Whittier Bull tag
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 02:10:25 PM »
Guys are giving you good advice, from those that have been in the unit, both for hunting and for recreation...just remember, you are asking for info, take it or leave it, but camping off trail without a permit can lead you to a big fine, after all, everyone has a camera/video recorder with them with cell phones nowadays, and there are some very extreme environmentalist who visit this part of the monument who will do whatever they can to get a hunter into trouble. Keep in mind, this is the Feds, not WDFW, DNR or a country Sheriff, a ticket will land you in federal court, either in Tacoma or Portland, either way it's a long days drive from Yakima and not worth it (and their threshold for issuing the ticket is way lower than a speeding ticket from a Trooper...a photo of you and your tent not in your designated camp spot is all that is needed).

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 02:19:38 PM »
You actually think people don't bend that rule and camp of the trail...? come on... your thinking like them if you know what I mean by that. lol

Don't take a great oppurtunity only to be "that guy".  Do your part as a responsible public land owner. It's really not that big of a deal.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Greg Mullins

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 08:36:15 PM »
I’ve hiked it but never hunted it. One thing I can say is get some good boots . Good luck and congrats

Offline spottedhand

• Tracker
  • ssg usa ret
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 08:08:07 PM »
I had the muzzy bull tag back in 2010. It was a awesome hunt with multiple stalks about halfway approx. 3 miles in to Mt whittier.  I finally settled on a decent 5x at 13yds. We used my sons 16ft jon boat to cross cold water lake several times while scouting (Cuts out miles walking) and even took a helicopter tour to get a better view of a big 6x we spotted but being on a new hip he was out of my reach in the big canyon opposite of the cold water trail. As I said, awesome hunt. The final pack out put us in the boat just at dark. Lake was glass with the moon shimmering across the bow. Of course with 4 guys, gear and bull we were seeing about 3" of freeboard. Would do it all over again even though age has caught up to me. The only bad part was lost camera with all the pictures somewhere along the trail along with a brand-new sleeping bag. Good luck!

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 09:26:41 PM »
I had the muzzy bull tag back in 2010. It was a awesome hunt with multiple stalks about halfway approx. 3 miles in to Mt whittier.  I finally settled on a decent 5x at 13yds. We used my sons 16ft jon boat to cross cold water lake several times while scouting (Cuts out miles walking) and even took a helicopter tour to get a better view of a big 6x we spotted but being on a new hip he was out of my reach in the big canyon opposite of the cold water trail. As I said, awesome hunt. The final pack out put us in the boat just at dark. Lake was glass with the moon shimmering across the bow. Of course with 4 guys, gear and bull we were seeing about 3" of freeboard. Would do it all over again even though age has caught up to me. The only bad part was lost camera with all the pictures somewhere along the trail along with a brand-new sleeping bag. Good luck!

Sounds epic.

That sucks about the camera.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline brandon223

• Pilgrim
    • Brandon rodin
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 07:44:52 AM »
Well did you find a bull to shoot ?

Offline levigarrett101

• Pilgrim
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 01:31:28 PM »