collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Darn heat!  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Darn heat!
« on: October 15, 2018, 12:08:18 PM »
These 70 degree days cannot be helping! Spent yesterday from dark to dark out, never saw a thing it was so warm. Does the warm weather put the rut off later?

Offline Bogie85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/zbogatz
Re: Darn heat!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 12:15:56 PM »
This is what it seems like. Granted understand I am a newbie and only have book knowledge. But 16 groups were out yesterday and no one saw anything but 1 spike and a few does. And the one spike still had velvet which I think means the rut hasn't started yet. I think we are going to try again next week since this week is warming up even more.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 12:16:02 PM »
Had a nice buck in my yard after dark last night and he wasn't looking for dinner either. He had other things on his mind.

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 12:25:53 PM »
and you gave him a pass?  :yike:

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 12:30:59 PM »
Two weeks early for rut....

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 01:18:18 PM »
Yard security light came on so I had to check it out, way after dark so he got a pass. Don't tell me it's two weeks early, tell him. :chuckle:

Offline Matth

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 03:16:15 PM »
Early rutty behavior doesn't signify the actual rut.

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 03:24:50 PM »
I saw a 4-point in someone's yard near Menlo on Saturday.  His neck was swollen and he was chasing a doe around. :twocents:

I don't think the weather matters so much.........it's the amount of sunlight that dictates the rut.  Rut activity seems to occur the same time every year. :twocents:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Matth

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 03:41:58 PM »
I saw a 4-point in someone's yard near Menlo on Saturday.  His neck was swollen and he was chasing a doe around. :twocents:

I don't think the weather matters so much.........it's the amount of sunlight that dictates the rut.  Rut activity seems to occur the same time every year. :twocents:

You sir are correct. that's still a few days off yet.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 04:48:50 PM »
In general, it seems that many members here believe the warm weather restricts early pre-rut activity into the hours of darkness (only), at least on the westside.   When the temperature is above 60 degrees or so, deer are content to sit around (stay bedded) and conserve energy. They don't need to eat to sustain body heat, and when they do eat, it is during times when temperatures moderate (evenings-mornings). For deer in general, it is my understanding that the majority of rutting behavior happens at night.  If the weather is cold, wet, or otherwise necessitates increased feeding activity by does, then their increased daily feedings will have bucks up and moving more during daylight, especially so as the peak of the rut nears,or if a doe or two enters an early estrus.   

At this point in the season, or in the next week or so, if the weather stays warm we will likely begin to find evidence of very active deer: numerous tracks indicating running and sliding (chasing type behaviors) etc. in the forest that are suddenly present in the morning where there was none the night before.  There's not a lot you can do about deer only moving only at night except to hunt bedding areas during the day.  At some point though, bucks cannot overcome the urge to mate.  They know that somewhere out there is a doe coming into heat.  They smell it from miles away.  They will get up and search her out, day or night, hot or cold.  That is why the last couple days of October and the four days of late buck,which surround the peak of the rut, are the best days of the season (at least that's my take on it).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 04:57:28 PM by fishnfur »
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal