collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dead 2 point mulies  (Read 13308 times)

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: Dead 2 point mulies
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »
I think 3pt and spike only rule is stupid.  Flame on but hunt or don't hunt.  Limit hunters but quit setting up for entrapment.  Emotions are what people are about and mistakes will always be made based on emotions, its human nature.  The sad thing is when a mistake is made people will leave n hide to avoid prosecution instead of NOT wasting and self reporting and taking the punishment.  Of course when its such a severe punishment I PROMISE everyone flaming would do the same if they did make a mistake.  Don't tell me YOU would NOT make a mistake unless u are not a human.  Don't say I would self report cause IF you haven't you have no credibility.  People are such armchair judges but cmon man people aren't perfect and will not risk their livelihood to man up.  No I have not done it but I know its a possible outcome when I hunt as I do make mistakes.  Sorry I am tired of the MR> Perfects ranting....  Geta grip and save your righteousness for yourself...………………………………………………...
:yeah:

:yeah:
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 09:22:23 PM »
I like the 3 point rule. Also I’m not perfect, but in doubt I don’t shoot. I would rather miss out on the opportunity on A deer. And I have let a legal buck go cause I could t see the third until to late.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 09:25:49 PM »
Since the three point or better rule went into affect. I have ran into at least 10 dead two points and a bunch of two point dead heads.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 10:18:04 PM »
The minimum pt's rules is keeping yotes well fed.  Wish they'd end this practice. 

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 01:04:42 AM »
If in Montana, common sense would be used. In Washington, get ready to lose your hunting privileges!! Maybe if WDFW used common sense in these instances the deer would not have went to waste. People would rather walk away- which is not right, but WDFW doesn't encourage people to do the right thing, when mistakes happen.

Not true. If you turn yourself you will lose the animal and thats about it. There not going to throw the book at you. We shot a spike with a doe tag once. Spikes were tucked behind the ears.  The warden didnt even come out. Said take it to nearest butcher. Pay cut and wrap and will consider this your fine. Now this was for a 15 year old kid mind you so he maybe cutting some slack. Or maybe we just got a nice Warden. We also punched his tag

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 04:18:04 AM »
I think 3pt and spike only rule is stupid.  Flame on but hunt or don't hunt.  Limit hunters but quit setting up for entrapment.  Emotions are what people are about and mistakes will always be made based on emotions, its human nature.  The sad thing is when a mistake is made people will leave n hide to avoid prosecution instead of NOT wasting and self reporting and taking the punishment.  Of course when its such a severe punishment I PROMISE everyone flaming would do the same if they did make a mistake.  Don't tell me YOU would NOT make a mistake unless u are not a human.  Don't say I would self report cause IF you haven't you have no credibility.  People are such armchair judges but cmon man people aren't perfect and will not risk their livelihood to man up.  No I have not done it but I know its a possible outcome when I hunt as I do make mistakes.  Sorry I am tired of the MR> Perfects ranting....  Geta grip and save your righteousness for yourself...………… :yeah:……………………………………...
So, still trying to figure this rant out, but seems to say if you see a deer with horns your emotions are likely to take over and you might blast it before checking  if it's legal.  BUT, that's ok because you're only human and can't control your emotions while out in the woods with a high powered rifle. Don't think there's any "Mr perfect" involvement here, but if you can't take the time to make sure your target is legal before shooting perhaps you should stay home with the other kids and play video games.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 05:09:03 AM »
where at and did u report it
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 05:42:06 AM »
where at and did u report it
found them just off hwy 25 in unit 121 and did call in.  Was asked if I knew who shot them and was told enforcement would be out latter to check. Never saw any enforcement people and the deer we're still there a couple of days later. I also suspect  they may have been jacklighted as we often see spotlighters going down the that road late at night. I've also reported that and been told they would patrol and check. Don't know if they do or not

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 05:42:21 AM »
The minimum pt's rules is keeping yotes well fed.  Wish they'd end this practice.

Let’s go back to the early 90’s where you were lucky to find a buck.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 06:45:44 AM »

I sure don't.    From a guy who lives and breathes deer, APRs are not the devil.

Slob hunters on the other hand .... they have always been around and always will be I guess.

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 07:13:50 AM »
If in Montana, common sense would be used. In Washington, get ready to lose your hunting privileges!! Maybe if WDFW used common sense in these instances the deer would not have went to waste. People would rather walk away- which is not right, but WDFW doesn't encourage people to do the right thing, when mistakes happen.

I lived in MT and have hunted there a lot for the last 25 years. You self report in MT because if you get caught trying to be sneaky they will throw the book at you. Rightfully so. I will say this though I wouldn’t want to tell any warden in Washington or Montana that I wasn’t sure if he had a third point so I shot him.... So I could get a closer look... That’s not an accident, that’s being irresponsible with your privilege to hunt.
An accident is when you are shooting at a legal deer and hit one that’s not . There are many other scenarios that are accidents.
Lead em if they're running.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 07:28:05 AM »
Found a LARGE dead fork horn in the alpine years ago during the early high buck season.  Opening morning I glassed this buck at about 300 yards as it fed with a smaller forkie, and was sure that it had three on one side.  Got a bit closer and kept glassing it and my son firmly told me that it was a 2x2.  I came closer to shooting it than makes me comfortable.

That afternoon two men on horses rode by our backpack camp toward the basin with the big forkie. 
Twenty minutes later we heard a shot as I headed out for my evening hunt.  “Doggone, they shot that big forkie,” I said, then immediately regretted being so cynical and jealous that they got a buck.  As I headed up the forest service trail they came riding fast, and turned off of the trail to avoid me.  I casually changed course to intercept them because I wanted to hear their story.

One of them with wide eyes and waving hands blurted that he had missed a BIG buck in the basin when it bolted from a brush patch.  The other fellow was obviously trying to get his partner to shut up and get out of there.  The next morning we found the same big fork horn lying dead in a sloping alpine meadow, visible from anywhere on the rim of the basin. 

We'd seen a pick-up at the trail head that was almost certainly theirs.  It had a small business name and phone number on the door that I no longer remember but seems like it was from Snohomish.  I don't think that we reported it, can't recall for sure.  I don't excuse the man for shooting too quickly on a suddenly bounding buck with big antlers but felt bad for him.  Another year up there some college fellows killed two legal bucks the afternoon before the season opened.  That one I would have reported with relish but was not going to hike out nine miles and drive to a phone.

I have passed shots on legal bucks because I was not sure of their antlers.  I played tag with one such buck for 30 minutes and killed it my third opportunity when finally it turned its head just right and the doggone thing was a 4x4!  It had given me several straight on looks in timber, all tines aligned and no way to count them. 

Offline Old Man Yager

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 07:47:47 AM »
I've been told by Wardens best thing you can do is get a license plate# on vehicles in the area, then they at least have a lead to go on.
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline throttlejocky20

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 08:56:01 AM »

I sure don't.    From a guy who lives and breathes deer, APRs are not the devil.

Slob hunters on the other hand .... they have always been around and always will be I guess.
I like the rule and i wish they would follow Oregon and make the whole west coast 2 pt minimum. The only issue is people getting itchy on the trigger. I have watched a few buck just to see that they are leagal to late to get a shot. I would like to see more youth permits for any buck on the east side but if they took the point restriction away it would only take a year and you wouldnt being seeing bucks at all.
Remember that buck is climbing that Mt. every day!

Offline Big game archer

• Hunter
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 09:00:42 AM »
I found a dead spike in 121 back when it was 4pt min. Don't know how you make that mistake

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]