collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dead 2 point mulies  (Read 13253 times)

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
Re: Dead 2 point mulies
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2018, 01:13:24 PM »
That’s actually extremely true. Different species.

Sorry @RockChuck maybe you meant something different by that question  :hello:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline rickomatic

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2018, 05:39:43 PM »
I could be way off base here, but is part of the problem allowing for eye guards as being a “point”? I hear guys all the time calling a deer a 3 point because they have a barely 1” eye guard. I know that’s technically legal, but should it be?
If man was not supposed to eat animals, God wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2018, 06:25:09 PM »
So why is it 3 point or better for deer and spike only for elk? What is the reason it is different?
They are different species of animals. Why is it any bear but not any deer?

Hopefully my sarcasm came through with this post.  8)

Lol yup I get the sarcasam, just thinking out loud but that makes sense
That’s actually extremely true. Different species.

Sorry @RockChuck maybe you meant something different by that question  :hello:

I was thinking restriction wise not species but yes that was my question

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2018, 06:26:17 PM »
Guess I’m wondering why it’s good for one species but not the other?

Offline rickomatic

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2018, 09:44:21 AM »
Read an article years ago about a star back east that did the exact opposite. Spikes or two points only. The thinking there was to leave the best genetic big bucks to increase herd strength.
If man was not supposed to eat animals, God wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2018, 05:37:22 PM »
https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,232535.msg3100972/topicseen.html#new

Hearing that the wildlife department was out writing citations for hunters harvesting deer that didn't meet the 3 point restriction and then taking the illegal deer and giving them to other hunters in the area anybody been hearing anything about this?

Yes

We got two deer last year. The officers are getting so many illegal deer they cannot get rid of the fast enough.
The food bank will not take them.
One agent last year had five illegal heads in his truck from one day. One 3 point. It was shot by a Hunter across a hwy,on private property ,while folks were yelling at him not to shoot.

They will not give you a deer shot in the gmu where you are camped. You do not get the heads only the body with a paper which allows you to have the deer without head.

How many forkies are not being found?   

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2018, 06:58:59 PM »
by the way, if you all are so worried about genetics, you all would do away with all the late tags and quit shooting all the big bucks...(crickets)......I didn't think so.  LOL

Bone, I think you know that I have the highest regard for you, so no disrespect intended when I say that your tongue in cheek comment is a little disingenuous.  Somewhere between all or nothing, kill anything or kill no deer of any kind, there is a self sustaining balance, and looking for that is what this debate and game restrictions are about.

Not very many hunters consistently find big bucks to kill.  How about a restriction that if you kill a 4x4 that scores above 160, you don't get any deer tag for the next three years?   :) That is a narrowly targeted law, effecting few hunters, that would likely do more to preserve the genetics of big antlers than most other ideas we've posted here.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2018, 07:32:26 PM »
If in Montana, common sense would be used. In Washington, get ready to lose your hunting privileges!! Maybe if WDFW used common sense in these instances the deer would not have went to waste. People would rather walk away- which is not right, but WDFW doesn't encourage people to do the right thing, when mistakes happen.
WDFW Officers can and do use judgement in self reporting violations. Are they still going to get charged, sure (as they should). Is it automatically going to be for illegally taking an animal out of season (2pt in 3 or season), no. Plenty of times the individual is cited for something like failing to tag instead of the bigger charge of out of season, in fact this was seen on the Rugged Justice show.

Problem is if you say self reporters face no penalties then more people will take shots without identifying their game and if it's a 2pt in a 3pt they can call WDFW and walk away free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline bustedoldman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
  • TEAM Potbelly Stallions
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2018, 10:32:08 AM »
There are many people who are concerned about this 3 pt rule (in place now for decades) enabling the mature 2 pt boogeyman.  Yes I'm aware this has been identified in certain areas, mainly the agricultural areas around Lind/Ritzville and the farther to the SE.

I've said it multiple times that of all the "giant two points" I hear about and/or see, I can only recall one or two that was older than 1.5-2.5

I agree.... Not sure if this will sound too condescending, bitter, angry or right on spot...But if all one sees' is "Nothing but 2pts all the time!" spend a little more time in your hunting area. Not just pre-season.....Not just the week of hunting season( Yes I know location/finances play a huge roll.) ....But after season as well, it'll make you sad, mad and surprised by what you see. You'll ask yourself where was that monster hiding all year?!?! And I hunt south of Ritzville every year.

Offline KP-Skagit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2018, 10:49:51 AM »
The only thing worse than a dead 2 point is a dead buck all intact but antlers missing. Found that on the Snake River breaks years ago. Would have liked to have caught that guy in the act...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »
Ya that does suck. People will complain but I think I seee more deer than before the three point restrictions? I don’t see an excuse for shooting one. Just like everything know your target.?

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2018, 11:07:29 AM »
If in Montana, common sense would be used. In Washington, get ready to lose your hunting privileges!! Maybe if WDFW used common sense in these instances the deer would not have went to waste. People would rather walk away- which is not right, but WDFW doesn't encourage people to do the right thing, when mistakes happen.

Last year I know of a guy who shot a 2pt. while targeting a 3 pt. He dressed it out ,drug it down a mountain and called a game agent.
The agent took the deer, wrote a ticket, and shook the guys hand. He was free to continue to hunt.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2018, 11:59:31 AM »
I have posted this many times on here. In 2017 a game agent stopped by our camp. He had five illegal heads in his truck from one day. (Twisp)

Those are just the ones that got reported.

We don't want to acknowledge it but I think that there is a huge population of hunters who are so goal driven that they just don't care. Its not a  mistake. They are blasting at deer beyond their effective range or skills and when the points don't add up they leave it lay.

I have self reported myself 40 years ago and I was treated very fair.
I know folks who have self reported and also were treated very fair.

There are a ton of people out there that would be very pleased with a spike deer. I understand the 3 point rule but it does not take into account the ethics of many hunters and thus I believe allows over harvest. If you need proof of this just look at the folks you come in contact with every day in our lives. Breaking all kinds of laws because it is convenient for them to do so. Do you think a guy who holds his cell phone while driving or is texting will all of a sudden follow the rules out hunting. Do you think a person who drinks and drives, parks in a handicap spot, shoots over his limit in ducks, doesn't follow the 15 shell limit, catches too many crabs or fish, or any number of other infractions will all of a sudden be the perfect person while out hunting.
We have a large group of goal orientated hunters who want to succeed at any cost. We have seen this with TV pro hunters from time to time. The pressure to come home with an animal over rides common sense and ethics. Its like a person who shoplifts but has a wallet full of money. The need to succeed at any cost drives a lot of hunters to the gutter.

We had a fellow in our camp years ago. He would tell you right out that he only cared about the meat. That was the only reason he was hunting period. He followed the rules because our camp requires it. But the meat was all he was after. Not the experience, the friendship, the process just the meat. He no longer hunts with us.
On our cook shack wall is written.
"If You Came Only For The Meat, You Came For  The Wrong Reason"
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2018, 12:31:41 PM »
Very cool sign

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2018, 12:38:09 PM »
I've said this before and I feel it's true, cattle,horse and dog breeders have a far better grasp on genetics than the state biologists who..... learned from a book. Split season, 2 spikes or a spike and forkhorn for 16 and under and 65 and older, post rut hunt for everybody else that's 5 point or better.Your genetics will wash them self clean in 5 years. This exact program has been used successfully in Wyoming.  to produce better animals. What has shooting 3 and 4 points for 25 years pre breeding got ? A bunch of 2 pointers that like to stay 2 pointers. Modification of a population can occur if there is a purpose to the breeding program.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]