collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Point me in the right direction. New to upland  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Ajj828

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Point me in the right direction. New to upland
« on: October 16, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »
So I filled my deer tag on Sunday in the almota unit so I want to get ready for some upland hunting. I’ve been to the snake river breaks  and I think I’ve been hearing chukar but haven’t scared any up. I’ve been looking into the Asotin unit which seems good. Also for upland is steel shot required? I know all the rules for ducks and geese just not pheasant. I’m scared to try feel free to hunt land because I had a friend get yelled at for being on it

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
Re: Point me in the right direction. New to upland
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 01:48:52 PM »
if not on a release site lead in fine.  Habitat, habitat, a decent dog and a lot of boot leather will get you birds in this state.  If you heard Chuckars go back and be prepared for a heck of a lot of exercise.

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 06:49:14 AM »
The Asotin Wildlife Area is one that requires non-toxic shot; download the current Upland Game & Waterfowl Regs. or P/U a hard copy at any license vendor. Both have a page listing the areas where non-toxic shot are a requirement:

https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline John B

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Master Hunter, NRA, DU
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 07:29:56 PM »
Do you have a dog? A good dog makes all the difference in upland hunting. No requirements for upland hunting with non toxic shot. There are non toxic shot areas, usually pheasant release sites. They should be posted, as well as feel free to hunt. OnX maps is your friend.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 07:52:11 PM »
Feel Free to Hunt properties are private land but no additional permission is required to access them for hunting.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline ljsommer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 08:36:37 PM »
Do you have a dog? A good dog makes all the difference in upland hunting. No requirements for upland hunting with non toxic shot. There are non toxic shot areas, usually pheasant release sites. They should be posted, as well as feel free to hunt. OnX maps is your friend.

I adopted a two year old pointer from a shelter a year and a half ago, how does one go about training a dog for bird retrieval? He loves to swim so he could help me with waterfowl as well.

PS: I haven't ever shot any animal, walking or flying, as I am a new hunter but I would like to get into bird hunting at some point and I think it'd be mentally healthy for my dog as an activity. His energy is boundless.

Offline RJW

• Tracker
    • Bob Williams
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 07:57:19 AM »
If you don't mind a little drive I would suggest getting in touch with Doug at Cooke Canyon in Ellensburg. His wife raises bird dogs, he trains dogs, and they can plant some birds for you to get the feel for things.  You will not need a hunting license on their property.  I think it would be a good way to find out what you thought of the whole hunting think. :twocents:

http://www.cookecanyon.com/
Everyone is superman behind the keyboard

Offline Ajj828

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 08:50:27 AM »

I have a 1 year old Brittany but I don’t have him this year because I’m in college. I’ll have him here next year the problem is he’s not trained so I’ll be looking for training. I haven’t tried training him myself because I don’t want to mess up and make him gun shy. I also don’t know much about upland

Offline John B

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 03:49:18 PM »

I have a 1 year old Brittany but I don’t have him this year because I’m in college. I’ll have him here next year the problem is he’s not trained so I’ll be looking for training. I haven’t tried training him myself because I don’t want to mess up and make him gun shy. I also don’t know much about upland

I adopted a two year old pointer from a shelter a year and a half ago, how does one go about training a dog for bird retrieval? He loves to swim so he could help me with waterfowl as well.

PS: I haven't ever shot any animal, walking or flying, as I am a new hunter but I would like to get into bird hunting at some point and I think it'd be mentally healthy for my dog as an activity. His energy is boundless.

This might be a good starting point: https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,232203.0.html

Have you guys completed hunters ed? Need that to buy a hunting license in WA. Next is bird identification. You need to be able to ID a bird on the wing.

As far as training, plenty of information out there. Introducing to guns, have a buddy shoot a .22 or the smallest gun you can get your hands on 200 yards down from you and your dog, work your way towards the gunshots playing with the dog. Once you can shoot over their head with the smaller quieter gun, repeat the process with a louder one. Back off if it gets too nervous. Dog training season in WA is Aug - Mar. This is for training on wild birds on public land. No better experience for a dog than exposure to wild birds. If you don't have control over the pup, use a check cord (30' leash).

Offline Ajj828

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 12:59:34 PM »

I have completed hunters Ed this is just my first time pheasant hunting. I know how to identify ducks I’m just worried about upland birds. I’m going to go out this weekend and see if I can get anything. I’m just worried about shooting a female pheasant because I’m wanting to hunt chukar and also pheasant at the same time. I have never seen the birds in person so I just want to get some field time in.

This might be a good starting point: https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,232203.0.html

Have you guys completed hunters ed? Need that to buy a hunting license in WA. Next is bird identification. You need to be able to ID a bird on the wing.

As far as training, plenty of information out there. Introducing to guns, have a buddy shoot a .22 or the smallest gun you can get your hands on 200 yards down from you and your dog, work your way towards the gunshots playing with the dog. Once you can shoot over their head with the smaller quieter gun, repeat the process with a louder one. Back off if it gets too nervous. Dog training season in WA is Aug - Mar. This is for training on wild birds on public land. No better experience for a dog than exposure to wild birds. If you don't have control over the pup, use a check cord (30' leash).

Offline John B

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »

I have completed hunters Ed this is just my first time pheasant hunting. I know how to identify ducks I’m just worried about upland birds. I’m going to go out this weekend and see if I can get anything. I’m just worried about shooting a female pheasant because I’m wanting to hunt chukar and also pheasant at the same time. I have never seen the birds in person so I just want to get some field time in.

Pheasant and chukar don't typically inhabit the same terrain. I have shot a lost release site rooster up in the chukar hills, but that is not common. If you have onx maps there is a map layer that shows all of the release sites, many of which on the east side will hold good quail numbers. I'd start there

Offline Tafinder

• Pilgrim
    • Is for losers
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 07:47:53 PM »
Not sure where you’re located? I’m live near Spokane... I would be willing to have you tag along with my pointer and myself... maybe it would give you some basic hunting info and ideas on what the dogs do... just send me a private message with your contact info... maybe we can work out a time to go!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]