collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Loading Methods !!  (Read 1677 times)

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
Loading Methods !!
« on: March 19, 2009, 10:03:13 PM »
Anyone see a problem with this ???

After dumping your powder charge down the barrel:
1)Smear a little Crisco on the outside of the projectile or sabot, maybe a little in its base as well.  Not much, just enough to make it feel slick.
2)If shooting sabots, 'pre-splay' the petals of the sabot.  Fold the petals back about as far as you can, place the sabot face down on a flat surface and push hard on its base until the petals take a bit of a set away from the sabot centerline.  This predisposes the sabot to opening quickly on leaving the muzzle and separating from the bullet.  Pre-splaying of sabots could be done at home.
3)Start the projectile in the barrel BUT LEAVE TIP OF BULLET NOSE LEVEL WITH MUZZLE.
4)Fill the space between the bullet tip and the inside of the bore AT THE MUZZLE with a ring of Crisco.  Now this is critical and hard to describe:  Don't 'pack' ALL the space between the bullet and the inside of the bore with Crisco, just fill the area between the bullet nose and the inside of the bore AT THE MUZZLE with Crisco.  If you 'pack' the Crisco in, you'll have too much; the bore will get sloppy and accuracy won't be so good.  Use just enough Crisco to form a continuous ring of the stuff around the bullet nose at the muzzle.
5)Place jag on ramrod and dry patch on jag
6)Seat the bullet using the patched jag.  Use uniform seating pressure when bullet reaches powder. Use only ONE stroke in (the seating stroke) and ONE stroke out (to remove ramrod).  Resist the temptation to work the patch up and down a few extra strokes...it just introduces more variables and hurts accuracy.
7)BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN WITHDRAWING THE RAMROD.  YOU'LL BE PULLING A VACUUM IN THE BORE AND IT WILL TRY TO SUCK THE PATCH INTO THE BORE WHEN THE JAG CLEARS THE MUZZLE. If it does suck the patch in DO NOT TRY TO SHOOT IT OUT!  It's a bore obstruction that could bulge the barrel.  If the patch gets sucked in, you'll have to fish it out with the Worm.  Cutting the patch a little oversize seems to minimize this problem.

There you have it.  Besides improving accuracy, this technique makes loading much easier and prevents the un-plated lead Black Belt Bullets from leading up the bore.  It also greatly reduced the 'first shot flyer out of a clean barrel' problem.  It's worked well in everything I've tried it in.  But use your judgement...no one with any official standing has ever blessed this loading technique.  If you see something risky or doubtful about it, don't use it.  Much better to play it safe, especially if the gun belongs to someone else.
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline callonetta

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Loading Methods !!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 10:57:59 PM »
He sure likes his Crisco!!! I would not risk my powder getting soaked with the oil and getting a  PFFFFFSSSS... :yike: aiming at a trophy anything.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 11:01:44 PM »
He sure likes his Crisco!!! I would not risk my powder getting soaked with the oil and getting a  PFFFFFSSSS... :yike:aiming at a trophy anything.

I agree with you on this one I wouldn't use crisco either but what I take from all of that the secret is coating the barrel after loading !! maybe just a wonderlube swab or something could get that done, it seems to make sense  :dunno:
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline callonetta

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 11:10:47 PM »
Perhaps a light......LIGHT coat of borebutter...might try that after the sabot has been seated????

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 07:16:13 AM »
I’ve used Crisco for patched ball shooting and it’s better than nothing but it gums up the gun fast.  Sabots should not be lubed with anything.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]