collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GMU 454/460  (Read 3201 times)

Offline jcamp86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
GMU 454/460
« on: October 18, 2018, 06:45:16 PM »
Anybody have luck in the open areas off the East side of Hwy 18?  This is my first year hunting, and have spent some time scouting a bit in 335/336 every weekend for the past couple months, but being 20 minutes from home would be so much nicer.  I did a little scouting about a mile beyond the yellow gate last weekend and was amazed how many bear tunnels and game trails there was being that it's not very far from human traffic.
   Any success stories, or advice about the area would be greatly appreciated.  I put my camera out last week and will check it Saturday morning.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: GMU 454/460
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 06:52:30 PM »
I’ve never hunted there before, but based on the number of vehicles I’ve seen parked along hwy 18, I’d believe there are lots of people who are thinking the same as you in terms of the convenience of it being close to home.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Milkman

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 07:55:08 PM »
Heard from wasp that wdfw HAS (in the past)  released several bears in the area.  There's animals in there,  no nm personal succes there but keep at it

Offline optic2

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: 2AF, FPC, GOA, BHA, RMEF
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 10:17:57 PM »
Anybody have luck in the open areas off the East side of Hwy 18?  This is my first year hunting, and have spent some time scouting a bit in 335/336 every weekend for the past couple months, but being 20 minutes from home would be so much nicer.  I did a little scouting about a mile beyond the yellow gate last weekend and was amazed how many bear tunnels and game trails there was being that it's not very far from human traffic.
   Any success stories, or advice about the area would be greatly appreciated.  I put my camera out last week and will check it Saturday morning.

I spent a day hunting in there in the November late season last year. On my way back I found some real fresh bear scat on the road about a 1/2 mile from the gate. 

Offline ljsommer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 10:20:04 PM »
Both have game. I have had cougar, bear, elk, bobcat and deer on cams in both units. If it's nearby your home, I'd definitely give it some time.

Also, hello fellow new hunter: last season was my first season

Offline Tiger1358

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 11:36:21 PM »
Too many people there during the general season, but the area holds pretty much most game animals. Have seen deer a couple times, grouse, a lotta bear signs near the berry patches, and so forth. Spent some time there last year during the bear season, but shot one in a different GMU, so haven't been there since. 
If it's close to you, definitely spend some time there learning the area, it's definitely a good place to hunt.
Don't forget to post the pics if you get anything on camera.

here are the bear rubs from last year
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:43:05 PM by Tiger1358 »

Offline jcamp86

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 07:03:18 AM »
Thanks for the responses so far.  Ive got tags for deer, elk, cougar too, so hoping i can get at least one of those filled.   Ive only put a few grouse in the freezer so far.  It would be  really exciting to get a bruin like the one pictured that used to come Wednesday nights when I lived in Hobart.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline jcamp86

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 06:52:11 PM »
No luck with my camera yesterday.  One of the batteries wasn't seated well so I had nothing.   Did some scouting and moved the camera location a little further up the road.  Tried my icotech g300 and had something come in, but I couldn't spot it.   
  Went out today to the other gate and went through a couple clearcuts.  No animals spotted except for a BT carcass some one shot in the last day or so.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal