collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blacktail Question  (Read 3269 times)

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Blacktail Question
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 11:27:33 AM »
Good guess but impossible to say for sure.  He may have been dealing with another buck and you just happened to be in the vicinity.  Normally, they just blow when they bust you, at least in my experience.  It sounds like when you blow out really hard though pursed lips.  A doe will blow at you as well.

Pay attention to the thermals and use a wind indicator if you're not sure what's happening.   There's not a hell of a lot you can do to recover from them catching your wind - it's going to happen when you go in the woods.  There will always be deer downwind of you somewhere.  Remember that spot though.  He might be found bedded there again in a few days.  Come in sideways/horizontal to the level you believe he was at.  Move slow, slow, slow and maybe tip a can call occasionally if you have one.

i hunt a lot at the place where i heard him, seen a lotta deer activity these past months but only does with fawns. I can't really do much in that place , it's a very old clear cut with tall reprod trees overgrown with berry patches at the edge of the timber. No matter how I try, the wind always wins in that place. I thought I heard a loud snap, assumed there were 2 bucks, because he kept doing that for about a few minutes with long breaks, but can't really say what happened down there.

Should I wait for a couple days then go back there, or just check back daily?

There's no right answer on how you should proceed.  What works one time might fail the next.  Every deer is an individual and each will respond to circumstances differently.  You should try to be flexible with a plan to try several tactics.  One thing for sure, you need to make sure they don't know you're in there.  If they keep winding you, they're going to move or restrict movement to nights only.  A study in Oregon showed that deer seem to recover from heavy weekend hunting within just two or three days.  If you go in there every third day and don't stink up the place, you're probably OK.

- Once you're on a suspected buck, you can sit and wait and hope it comes out towards you.  I'm sure that works sometimes.  I have failed miserably with this tactic (as with most tactics), except when glassing younger reprod.  Sounds like you can't see a hell of a lot in that spot, so I think figuring a way to get them to show themselves or moving so you can see into their world better is the best bet.  In my mind, a tree stand is the best way to work an area you know deer will pass through.  That may or may not be possible for you.

- other options that I think might produce results are rattling, grunting, or a mix of both.  Do some reading from previous years (search the forum) on rattling techniques and give it a try.  Stay well hidden and don't overdo it.  The internet has a decent number of articles regarding rattling for BTs as well.  If you can locate old rubs (or new ones if there are any yet) in the area, that might be a great area to work too. He's not going to leave a hot doe, but if he's close and alone, he might decide to come take a look. Bucks will come in from the downwind side of you.  Listen and watch carefully for movement. Watch for a white patch (deer muzzle) hidden behind foliage - he probably won't come running in, but instead stay a few layers of brush deep from you.  Don't be afraid to move if you need to (to your downwind side)- the buck thinks other bucks are in his territory, and he's expecting to see/smell them.  A little noise from you will not make them disappear, as long as they can't see that you're human.  This type of hunting is a blast when deer respond.

Bucks will be more mobile in the near future.  The suspected buck in your spot may be a half-mile away tomorrow.  They come and go from their core areas as the rut ramps up.  New bucks will arrive from elsewhere and then disappear again.  Stay flexible and keep moving as conditions dictate.  Enjoy the season.  (feels like a deer day out there today  :tup:)

Here's a vid of a good rattling technique.  Grind 'em. 

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:53:04 AM by fishnfur »
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 11:33:36 AM »
Probably a doe ! Blacktail  Bucks will just keep quiet
:yeah: it was a doe, bucks don’t blow and wheeze like that

That is false, assuming we are talking about the same noise. I was on a ridge a few weeks ago bear hunting and a 2pt black tail came trotting around a fold in the hill. He saw me about 30 yards out, blew a big wheeze, turned and hopped away.
well that’s good to know, every deer I had blowcand wheeze have always been doe, glad to know I was wrong , thank you for the info  :tup:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline frogman338

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 01:13:50 PM »
@fishnfur
Good info!
There's actually a small 50-60 ft hill right next to the timber edge, wanted to make a trail to the top of it so I can be above them. But I've seen does coming out of the timber right to the top of that ridge a couple times so I assumed it's better just to hide behind the grass and young alders and wait. If I get busted on the hill, the bucks will definitely disappear for a long time.
I got other spots too, but that one is way closer, so let's hope it'll work out.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 06:23:36 PM »
Awesome.  Those knobs and bumps can be deer magnets.  Depending on the size, the buck may bed on top of that thing too.  Let the fresh sign tell you what is going on there and make a plan.  Keep the wind in your face!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Whack em and stack em!!
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 06:37:45 PM »
You heard a doe, I hear it all the time if I get busted.. Most likely she smelled you.
To God alone be the Glory!!

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 06:40:29 PM »
How do you know it's a doe just from the sound? As far as I know bucks and does sound exactly the same.

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 08:17:24 PM »
How do you know it's a doe just from the sound? As far as I know bucks and does sound exactly the same.
:yeah:
I had a 3 point do it to me last year.
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline Tiger1358

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 09:39:01 PM »
He said the deer was groaning so it must have been a buck. I've had a couple does wheezing at me last months, but never had one like in the video with two bucks.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 09:58:41 PM »
There's no certainty until you see the noisemaker.  For the sake of the discussion, even if it was a doe, presumably a buck will be coming through there soon enough looking for love. It seems pointless to speculate gender.  We'll never know for sure. 

I've heard deer blow plenty of times but never once a snort wheeze like that in the video. I say just keep working it and find a couple other great spots to hunt on the off days.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:07:44 PM by fishnfur »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]