collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Treestands and rattling  (Read 1691 times)

Offline masonkarr90

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • Mason Alexander Karr
Treestands and rattling
« on: October 19, 2018, 02:12:29 AM »
So this next summer ij m moving to Washington and  I'm gonna be scouting southwest Washington public land for some blacktail qnd I've never hunted them before. What are some tips you guys have? I've mostly hunted whitetail deer for archery and mule deer for rifle in Northwest Texas. I plan on hunting out a tree stand during the archery season. Any new info helps thanks guys.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
Re: Treestands and rattling
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 05:27:32 AM »
Do a search and you can find lots of info
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 09:05:56 AM »
I'm no expert and have only been here a few years but this is my  :twocents:. rattling, grunting or calling is not really a tactic I see many talk about, it might work but it doesn't seem to be as common. For blacktails sitting on big cuts seems to be a good place to start. From what I've noticed from others on here, the guys that kill blacktails KNOW where those deer are. They run trail cams year round and spend a lot of time finding well used trails. Another tactic I have heard is using mountain bikes and going behind gated roads(where legal). Then hitting every cut and getting away from most hunters. Meateaters had a podcast all about this with a local guy from OR and he said that the deer don't even care about the sound of a bike.I believe they said they go after cuts that are about 5 years oldish any over 10years old and it can be hard to see the deer through the trees. I would also look to see if you find any OLD homemade treestands in the woods, I would maybe remove the old one and put yours there if it looks like a good spot. Theres a reason someone took the time to build that there. Like I said I'm no expert but hope that helps.

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 10:50:45 AM »
Google Search: Deep Timber Sounds.  He has a site and some videos I believe.  He is all about calling in BT.
If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline masonkarr90

• Pilgrim
    • Mason Alexander Karr
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 01:30:03 AM »
Is it a big deal for guys to place a tree stand on some public land for the season or do you have to pack it in each time you go. Ive seen alot of guys hunt the Oregon coast from tree stands for blacktails.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 09:17:58 AM »
Tree stands are allowed on public land.  If you leave them in place, anyone can use them, which means you might get to your stand and find someone already in it (or that it has been stolen).

Overall, I think you'll do fine from a tree stand. I recommend mixed forest (alder/maple/fir) or mature/big timber with well established trails above Ag land, forest clearcut, or any other edge habitat.  It may take a couple years to really get a feel for Blacktail.  Habits and habitats change a bit from Summer to Fall.  Doe and small bucks are fairly accessible during the archery season.  Big honkin' bucks - you've got to be really good or really lucky. Pre-season scouting and trail cams will greatly assist you.  Also, you may want to consider hunting archery during the modern firearm season.  The hunting pressure is much higher, but the bucks will be up and moving as the rut approaches, which will not be the case during archery season.  Some will respond to rattling during this time as well, though often not in the typical Whitetail fashion.

Here's some prerequisite reading.  Iverson's book is considered the "bible" of BT hunting.  All are good.  Look for used prices elsewhere if these are too spendy.  All are Oregon based authors.

https://www.amazon.com/Blacktail-Trophy-Tactics-Boyd-Iverson/dp/0963040510/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1540051528&sr=8-5&keywords=blacktail+deer+books

https://www.amazon.com/Trophy-Blacktails-Science-Scott-Haugen/dp/098194230X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540051528&sr=8-2&keywords=blacktail+deer+books

https://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Black-Tailed-Deer-Oregon-Perspective/dp/1878175181/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540051528&sr=8-1&keywords=blacktail+deer+books
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 09:31:48 AM »
Here's one more, specifically on archery BT hunting.  Apparently it is out of print.  It's just OK in my eyes.  Cameron Hanes is a man's man that knows how to get it done, but the book is not that technique oriented, so you're left knowing that he is a great hunter and that you suck in comparison.  It's certainly not worth 60 bucks.  You may be able to find it in a library or e-book when you get here.  Also note, he hunts in the same area as Haugen and Iverson.  Hmmm, I'm sensing a pattern here...

https://www.amazon.com/Bowhunting-Trophy-Blacktail-Cameron-Hanes/dp/0967321808/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1540052706&sr=1-3&keywords=cameron+hanes+book

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 10:26:35 AM by fishnfur »
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline masonkarr90

• Pilgrim
    • Mason Alexander Karr
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 01:28:17 PM »
I had considered using a tree saddle for public land but what I might do is hang a tree stand and just pack in the steps to prevent people from using my treestand. I know alot of guys spot and stalk but I feel like hunting out of a treestand in the archery season will help me watch and learn blacktail habits.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 06:30:18 PM »
Summit climbing stands are pretty nice.  You can find them on sale on ebay once in awhile.

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 08:29:01 AM »
Summit climbing stands are pretty nice.  You can find them on sale on ebay once in awhile.

Love mine! I have the SD Viper and have sat all day in it no problem. Is it a bit heavier then a Lone Wolf sure but I can take a nap in my Summit. Climbers are a blast.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]