collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another new factory 30cal. The 300 PRC...  (Read 1973 times)

Offline bullfisher

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Another new factory 30cal. The 300 PRC...
« on: October 19, 2018, 05:54:07 AM »
Hornady announced their newest offering in the PRC lineup. The 300 PRC, is basically a full length 375 Ruger case with a 30 degree shoulder. Factory ammo offerings are the 212 and 225grn.
It doesn't appear to do anything special to me other then standardize a 30cal/375 ruger case. Hornady seems to be cutting a pretty sweet chamber these days.
So whatcha think? Anybody gotta hankering for another big 30cal?...  :chuckle:

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
Re: Another new factory 30cal. The 300 PRC...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 06:21:03 AM »
More capacity than 300wm, longer coal, no stupid belt, faster twist than standard 300wm, and now possibly someone besides Hornady making brass I could use. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 02:12:32 PM »
I want it to do well, and I tend to think it will, despite all the pushback it’s already getting. I don’t think it does anything better than either the 300 Win or 30 Nosler if those are built in custom/semi custom guns, but in factory rifles the PRC will be a force to be reckoned with.

The SAAMI specs on the Win Mag and Nosler are holding them back with 3.340” OAL and 10” twist barrels. Most “gun guys” will load then long, have the throat lengthened or find a gun with a faster twist. But if you’re a factory ammo guy, you’re stuck with the short OAL and limited performance for the most part. The more modernized SAAMI specs on the 300 PRC let a factory ammo shooter get the same performance advantages that a hand loader gets with the Win Mag and Nosler.

It’s hard to ignore the reality that right now Hornady is taking wildcats designed by knowledgeable shooters (George Gardner’s 6.5 Gap and Dave Tooley’s 30 Booboo) and tweaking them so that the mass market can benefit from them. The specs on the 300 PRC are so close to the Booboo that of Dave Tooley wasn’t involved with the development, he’d probably be suing Hornady right now! :chuckle:

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 02:55:44 PM »
Looking at the dimesions, it looks like a near twin to the 300 Blaser Mag. 

Offline bullfisher

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 06:02:20 PM »
I wish they would do a 7mm. I know the 7lrm exists but hornady just offers so much more product support.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 06:12:14 PM »
I wish they would do a 7mm. I know the 7lrm exists but hornady just offers so much more product support.
I would guess it is in the works. They just gotta wait for everyone to buy a 300 then they can sell them all a 7 later on too.  :chuckle:

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 12:45:43 AM »
I like it.  Even though most have to Google “Free bore” and even then they don’t get it. Plus the fact that I think the .308 Win is lame, the 30-06 is gay, and the 7-08 is pathetic and designed for recoil sensative drunk Girl Scouts. Jack O’Conner and his .270 Win were out classed by his wife and her 7x57. His time in the basement playing wood wind instruments clouded his judgement and was time better spent in his case than propping up a lame .277 chambering. The poor kids that bought into that. Obviously more magazine reading time than field time.

So yes the .300 PRC is cool and about as Boo-Boo as it gets. It is a well thought out factory, Long Range chambering.

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 09:17:23 AM »
I would guess it is in the works. They just gotta wait for everyone to buy a 300 then they can sell them all a 7 later on too.  :chuckle:
Exactly☝. Only smart business. Whether firearms, bows, cars or anything else. Market the shidizzle, spoon feed technology, and whatch the masses suck it up and pull out the wallets
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 09:35:44 AM »
It’s only money 💰. A guy makes it everyday. :tup:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 10:13:38 AM »
Exactly☝. Only smart business. Whether firearms, bows, cars or anything else. Market the shidizzle, spoon feed technology, and whatch the masses suck it up and pull out the wallets
exactly the way I would do it also. Maximize profits.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal