collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: according to steve rinella  (Read 12494 times)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: according to steve rinella
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2018, 09:00:29 PM »
Biggest mistake? Come on, Steve. The biggest mistake most hunters make is hunting where there isn't game to hunt.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2018, 09:16:24 PM »
Nobody else loves cotton?

It's my go to for mountain hunting for bears in August and all through the archery elk season. It's just plain more comfortable. I don't know where you guys are getting the idea that cotton makes you sweat, I'm pretty sure that's not true. It keeps you cool and dry in summer for the same reason it gives you hypothermia in the winter: it's constantly wicking, turning moisture into evaporative cooling. On your next hot-weather trip, you should bring some $20 Walmart cotton camo pants to alternate with you Kuiu. I think you might find the cotton works better.

Except for socks. Cotton socks are garbage.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2018, 09:33:51 PM »
Do a simple experiment. Run some cotton and synthetics or wool through the wash. When you unload the clothes, you can feel the difference. Cotton holds the water well, like very well. While the synthetics will feel nearly dried out from the spin cycle.
X2
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2018, 09:47:58 PM »
With ya GBoyd
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2018, 10:11:56 PM »
Cotton kills, first axiom I learned in AK hunting and in mountain climbing. Cotton is a great fabric for warm and hot conditions as well as when you are going to be able to dry out at night without a decreasing temperature, humid environment.

Cotton, poly pro, wool, etc. at the same insulating weight will not make you sweat any more or less. What they will do is transport moisture away from your skin at varying speeds and insulate, or not, when wet.

Cotton is great at evaporative cooling, the moisture in the fabric will draw heat away from your body at a much higher rate than wool or most of the other synthetics.

Evaporative cooling is what you are trying to balance in your environment, how you hunt, and how hot or cold your body runs.

If I am hiking fast and sweating a lot in warm temps I will usually wear a cotton tee, if it is cooler I will wear a synthetic that will dry more quickly and insulate better when I stop.

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2018, 01:58:54 AM »
I am just happy it has gotten cold enough I can unpack my lucky wool.  I do like silk underneath though.  Used to be some great synthetics with silver thread that felt like silk, acted like silk, mosquitoes hated it and was a lot more durable than silk.  But must not have sold well because I can't find a good pair of it anymore.  So stay with old school and run silk.

My early days we wore a lot of cotton.  Toyed with hypothermia more than once.  Perhaps what he says about making you sweat more has to do with how much energy it takes to move in wet cotton.  It sticks to your knees, gotta pull the crotch up before you step over a log, sticks catch on it constantly,  it holds water like a sponge yet refuses to heat up so it evaporates off.  I hate the stuff with a passion unless I'm tagged out and want to watch football on the couch.

Once I got my first pair of Sitka pants hiking got a hell of a lot easier.  Now I might have a cotton bird vest still in the closet but that would be the only thing cotton allowed in my hunting closet.  Never liked it, certainly won't ever miss it!!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2018, 06:49:29 AM »
Some context is required here. KC I assume you’re referring to the conversation Steve and Remi Warren were having about what “mistakes” hunters make that limit their success when showing up to guided hunts. Other examples included being out of shape, not knowing their rifle, being incapable of setting up and getting off shots in a timely manner, and wearing cotton which meant freezing their asses off and not being able to stay in the field long enough. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 07:00:39 AM by CaNINE »
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2018, 07:38:50 AM »
Everyone knows it's impossible to kill deer or elk unless your outfit costs upwards of $300.
It is completely possible to wear all synthetic for cheap. We likely agree.
99% of the time I bow hunt on the west side I wear polypropylene & wool socks. Some kind of polypropylene/spandex base layer and fleece. Usually earth tone sweats over shorts and on the top just a button up shirt possibly a jacket for layering and some rain gear. Often Its earth tone fleece but I have several light fleece jackets that are camo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2018, 07:40:07 AM »
Biggest mistake? Come on, Steve. The biggest mistake most hunters make is hunting where there isn't game to hunt.
Lol truth!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2018, 09:49:27 AM »
As a kid: Cotton long underwear, jeans, cotton socks with bread bags over them, cotton flannel shirt, heavy cotton jacket.  No raingear.   Model 94 30-30.   Shot big bucks every year.    :dunno:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2018, 10:01:48 AM »
As a kid: Cotton long underwear, jeans, cotton socks with bread bags over them, cotton flannel shirt, heavy cotton jacket.  No raingear.   Model 94 30-30.   Shot big bucks every year.    :dunno:

👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2018, 10:15:49 AM »
i've gotten most of my working hunting clothes from goodwill/value village and cabela's bargain cave.  my favorite are a pair of cabela's whipcord pants, and one of their red and black heavy wool shirts.  i rarely wear anything else any more unless i'm on the eastside in warm weather.  i can layer up under the wool for just about anything cooler.  keeps you dry, it breathes and i doubt you could find anything much quieter.

of course, it's all discontinued now.  i found the pants at value village for 5 bucks and the shirt was probably $20 in the bargain cave.  i like it so much i'm going to see if my seamstress mother in law can use it for a pattern and make me a couple more.

for layering up, i really like merino wool better than synthetic stuff.  i find myself getting chilly often after hiking up a hill and stopping to glass wearing 100% synthetic, like it gets sweaty and uncomfortable.  don't get that with the wool, and as a bonus, if you are on an extended hunt, you can air it out and it doesn't get stinky like synthetics.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2018, 10:16:40 AM »

👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seen plenty of photos of my grandpa, uncles and dad wearing flannels and jeans posing with elk and deer and their 94 30-30's. :tup:

I inerited 2 of those 94s' have not hunted with them yet but someday will.

If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2018, 03:31:41 PM »
Funny how everyone hunted for years in cotton or wool.  Then REI and KUIU came along and told us how we were doing it wrong all this time.
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2018, 03:55:42 PM »
We also used to ride horses as a main mode of transportation :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr