collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: No Deer but Plenty of Wolves  (Read 4527 times)

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
No Deer but Plenty of Wolves
« on: October 20, 2018, 06:01:19 PM »
Last few weeks we have been cutting firewood, talk to a couple of guys coming out of Goat Cr yesterday, they were totally disgusted, they said they had been coming over for 20 years and couldn't believe what they saw and didn't see, wolves and no deer.

Today we talk to another couple up Bridge Cr, same deal, they said lots of wolf tracks and no deer, they said the only deer they had seen was in Twisp.

Should make WDF$Wolves happy, can't wait to hear Fitkin's deer report this year.

Offline Dick in the Dirt

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
Re: No Deer but Plenty of Wolves
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 07:33:15 PM »
Why? His report will the same old lies. Tell the truth and they can't give tags away. :bash:

Offline jnordwell

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 10:30:28 PM »
I think there goal of lately has been to keep hunters out of the woods. Well if they introduce a elk/deer killing machine with congress approval and receive money to do it then a win win..

Offline shallowforks

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 10:44:36 PM »
yea n roswell, and the yeti and such too. :chuckle:

Offline rudysts

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 06:02:22 AM »
I went out opening weekend GMU 117 saw 4 does total, checked all the funnels where I always see deer heading in to bedding areas or coming out it was pretty bad. I talked to a couple of the regulars that I know set up game cams and they showed me pics of wolves over a dozen and a bunch of cougars not much deer on the cams. did see some elk but the thing is they usually are not there till later in the year. I also have not seen any moose calves in at least 3 years.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 10:54:31 AM »
Why? His report will the same old lies. Tell the truth and they can't give tags away. :bash:

Yep, but which lie will he go with this year, we can bet it won't be "deer hunting was very poor because of the overpopulation of wolves and cougars etc.". Instead it he will more than likely blame the fires or climate change etc..

It is time, for the locals to be extra careful, keep a closer eye on their children, WDFW's wolves are not the timid creatures they would like everyone to believe.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 06:11:59 PM »
Bluebird weather will be the BIG focus this year. "The deer are in their summer range, temps in the 60s and 70s keeps them away form hunters. I am sure winter counts will be close to normal" I can see it all ready!

Offline LITTLEBUCK

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 06:27:17 PM »
I do have to say, this is the worst I have ever seen since 1976 to present the amount of deer seen. 8 days of hunting with 6 to 8 miles a day I saw a grand total of 17 deer with 2 small bucks. Also saw big dog tracks in most drainages we hunted along with seeing 2 black bears.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 07:15:07 PM »

Took the granddaughters out for 9 days of hunting in the Methow,  wolf sign up 8 mile, Falls Creek and Bear Creek. Talked to a fella I know up on Lamb Butte who's group seen a Grizzly with a young one, estimated her at around 700lbs, I guess they spotted her last year up in the same "area" but didn't have a cub. Seen cat tracks up Finley, Bear Creek, Ramsey and Boulder and I mean a lot of cat tracks. Needless to say, the absolute worst season as far as deer numbers I have ever seen in the Methow and with the amount of predator sign we seen(bear, cat and wolf) in new areas(expanding), this herd is doomed..... :twocents: 

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 09:37:23 AM »

Took the granddaughters out for 9 days of hunting in the Methow,  wolf sign up 8 mile, Falls Creek and Bear Creek. Talked to a fella I know up on Lamb Butte who's group seen a Grizzly with a young one, estimated her at around 700lbs, I guess they spotted her last year up in the same "area" but didn't have a cub. Seen cat tracks up Finley, Bear Creek, Ramsey and Boulder and I mean a lot of cat tracks. Needless to say, the absolute worst season as far as deer numbers I have ever seen in the Methow and with the amount of predator sign we seen(bear, cat and wolf) in new areas(expanding), this herd is doomed..... :twocents:

We knew it was coming, we have watched the decline for quite a while, now there is practically nothing left.

Several cougar have been seen down low on the Valley floor this year, some within a mile of Twisp, the town deer etc. have taken a pretty good hit too.

Offline timberfaller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 10:06:05 AM »
Having lived there most of my life and return to hunt now and then when I can,  I didn't bother buying a license this year.

My last two hunts up in the Methow showed me what I thought was happening over the last two decades.

As I was told by the person doing the "study" of the herd(for the second time), "for the numbers, the Methow herd is in great shape" :bash: :bash: :bash:
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline Vista Matt

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 12:00:01 PM »
It was the same in the Teanaway.  4 days and didn't see ONE deer.  put on over 20 miles up high and down low.  Heard wolves howling on Sat around 9 or 10am.  Lots of cat tracks and saw one while busting brush on a ridge.  Couldn't get my rifle up fast enough, those things are like lightning!  I wear a size 12 boot and the tracks are just as big if not bigger.  We got word that the cattle ranchers think that it's not the wolves or cougars thinning down the herds but the spring bears that are killing the new fawns.  They are seeing it with their cattle as well.   :dunno:

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 12:05:50 PM »
It was the same in the Teanaway.  4 days and didn't see ONE deer.  put on over 20 miles up high and down low.  Heard wolves howling on Sat around 9 or 10am.  Lots of cat tracks and saw one while busting brush on a ridge.  Couldn't get my rifle up fast enough, those things are like lightning!  I wear a size 12 boot and the tracks are just as big if not bigger.  We got word that the cattle ranchers think that it's not the wolves or cougars thinning down the herds but the spring bears that are killing the new fawns.  They are seeing it with their cattle as well.   :dunno:

:o

Dude really.🤭
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Vista Matt

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 12:11:46 PM »

Dude really.🤭

I wish i was joking man...  I did hear of some other hunters who saw a few does, but the majority of people that have been going there for years said its bad.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 12:13:57 PM »

Dude really.🤭

I wish i was joking man...  I did hear of some other hunters who saw a few does, but the majority of people that have been going there for years said its bad.

Not that this.

We got word that the cattle ranchers think that it's not the wolves or cougars thinning down the herds but the spring bears that are killing the new fawns.

"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab