collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: No Deer but Plenty of Wolves  (Read 4546 times)

Offline Vista Matt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: No Deer but Plenty of Wolves
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 12:19:12 PM »
It was the same in the Teanaway.  4 days and didn't see ONE deer.  put on over 20 miles up high and down low.  Heard wolves howling on Sat around 9 or 10am.  Lots of cat tracks and saw one while busting brush on a ridge.  Couldn't get my rifle up fast enough, those things are like lightning!  I wear a size 12 boot and the tracks are just as big if not bigger.  We got word that the cattle ranchers think that it's not the wolves or cougars thinning down the herds but the spring bears that are killing the new fawns.  They are seeing it with their cattle as well.   :dunno:

:o

Dude really.🤭

I wish i was joking man...  I did hear of some other hunters who saw a few does, but the majority of people that have been going there for years said its bad.

Not that this.

We got word that the cattle ranchers think that it's not the wolves or cougars thinning down the herds but the spring bears that are killing the new fawns.

I was questioning it myself because a buddy of mine said the same thing before i went up there and i didn't believe him.  Then we heard the same thing from the ranchers.  Sounds like a topic for a new thread maybe?  See if we can get some answers to this.  I mean I'm game for any knowledge...

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 12:44:50 PM »
Not concerned about the bear having an impact on the Methow.   They eat fawns, but thats not the issue.    Its a crime what they have done to this herd

Offline SkookumHntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 12:51:23 PM »
I only got to hunt opening weekend for muleys in the Okanogan but where I go I normally see 5-10 deer a day at least, opening weekend and Monday I seen 1 deer! A buddy found a wolf kill with wolf tracks all around it.. not good
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline Vista Matt

• Pilgrim
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 12:52:23 PM »
Not concerned about the bear having an impact on the Methow.   They eat fawns, but thats not the issue.    Its a crime what they have done to this herd

:yeah:

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 02:18:07 PM »

Your right bone but bears are booming over there and I think they are a bigger contributor to the decline than they once were, we seen very few fawns or yearlings this year, seen very few deer period but the lack of seeing young deer concerns me, bears and yotes are probably doing a bigger number on the young than they have historicaly just because of there booming numbers. It is truly a crime as you said about how this herd is being managed (and if I may add) how ALL these predators are being left unchecked and to a certain extent even coddled, is also a crime and very sad, a true shame what has happened to this herd and their numbers. Wolves, cats, yotes and yes bears are all contributing to the demise of this herd, throw mis-manegment into the mix and the writing is on the wall and its right around the corner. IMHO its just a couple years away before some sort of action(either emergency predator control or shutting down seasons or draw only seasons) need to happen or its going to be all over.... :twocents:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 03:11:06 PM »
It's different for everywhere but in the GYE, there is a ton of data showing how many fawns black bears eat relative to other predators and it was an eye opener when I read it.

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 04:15:27 PM »
The powers that be only want the wolves to spread across the state, it’s only going to get worse guys. So if you don’t shoot every damn wolf you see because you think it’s wrong, then don’t bitch about it. Just be glad we don’t have the grizz and wolf double smack down problem like in Wyoming around the park, the residents there have had it! 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 05:01:17 PM »
 :chuckle:
Just tend your own and live.

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 07:04:03 PM »
Grizz are here. We will have a problem with them soon...

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 08:34:17 PM »

Not to get this thread to offtrack but besides falling deer numbers contributed to a host of predators including wolves the Methow Valley is becoming more and more filled with people who love and support wolves and bears and is becoming anti hunting to the point they are outnumbering the old guard of the valley. Lots of new homes being built all over and when talking to a friend who was born, raised and still lives there going on 60 years he said "out of staters, folks from Seattle and Californians with pockets full of money are taking over, they love all gods creatures and hate people dressed in orange or camouflage" He told me with a pained expression on his face that "this isn't your fathers or grandfathers Methow anymore". I couldn't believe all the new construction going on in the valley this year, buildings and houses going up everywhere. I heard rumors that Californians along with some other out of state folks were looking at old lady Wagners old place up the East Chewuch, heard it was going for around 3.2M. It had been owned by a German fella after Wagner but he only visited it a few times over 20 years or so, he had a retired state trooper care taking it who was an avid hunter, good guy. Probably just a matter of time before they all get gobbled up. I lost count of how many California plates Ive seen over there in the last 6 months, seen a lot over there just in the last couple weeks. Wolves and other predators are wacking this herd and more and more folks are moving to this valley that love those predators and don't want us as hunters over there, they want to see bike riders, bird watchers, cross country skiers, etc. packing this valley. I,m not saying the businesses don't like us, its the general population of the valley that is changing and growing.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal