collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Complete newbie here, starting small. But first ...  (Read 1786 times)

Offline zoomia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Complete newbie here, starting small. But first ...
« on: October 22, 2018, 03:12:46 PM »
Hello all!

I am new to trapping, and have read this forum quite avidly in preparation. While I had wanted to take one of the classes in December, I am going to be out of town for that stretch--and so went ahead and sat the test, and have just purchased my trapper's license. All this is by way of introduction--I've appreciated the info so freely shared here, and wanted to state that. :)

So I am planning to start with rabbits. But one of the things I am having a DEVIL of a time is figuring out WHERE to trap. I mean, I know I can get permission from landowners. But what I am really trying to figure out is the rather ambiguous statement of "you can trap on most public lands." WA state hunting maps don't help. I've trawled through whatever I can find online.  Does anyone have any insight on this? This is probably not helped by the fact that I'm in Seattle, and while I do go on walks and hikes south of here down through Kent and Sumner, I am having a devil of a time figuring out what public lands are legal to trap on. Is my best bet to contact the city?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
Re: Complete newbie here, starting small. But first ...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 04:20:20 PM »
First of all you can't trap rabbits. Rabbits,Hares are small game animals. You can trap unclassified wildlife (think skunks, opossum, nutria), Furbearers (think muskrat, beaver, otter) and dual classification animals, game animal/Furbearer (raccoon and bobcat).
The exception to that would be if you had some feral domestic bunnies hopping around.

Where can you trap? Usually USFS, BLM, DNR, some county land if it is not fenced or posted. City land no unless you receive permission and they will probably say no. Public hwy right of ways are a possibility. No to limited access Highways and best to get permission from adjacent land owners if it is not undeveloped land.
Anything under the Parks department, no.
Probably some other stuff I am not thinking of but in all cases try to keep a low profile. On all pubic land you run the risk of running into someone that will cause you problems. Where you are even more so.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Trapper John

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 01:02:35 PM »

I agree with Bruce.  As both Bruce and myself are Trapper Training Instructors will tell you:
"You CANNOT" trap rabbits  :bdid:  That is a big no,no ......... $$$ fine!   :yike:

Here is a fine example of "Why" you should take the class

Trapping License only covers "Fur-bearing Animals" and "unclassified wildlife" not game animals.
JC 

Offline fatslinger

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 11:28:53 PM »
Welcome to the trapping club. Personally, I rarely trap on public land because I don't like dealing with people. Over the years I've accumulated a list of private land owners who allow and encourage me to trap on their property. Do you have any friends or neighbors with racoon or even weasels? You can't charge money or accept anything for trapping without the WCO license but it would still be fun. Maybe there is another Seattle trapper who's looking for a partner? Good luck and keep us posted on your success.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 07:55:36 PM »
I hope I did not discourage you. I have a feeling you are limited how far you can travel so are looking for a way to trap in the city. A young man contacted me last year with the same problem. How to trap when you can't get out in the country. Here's an idea: instead of rabbits think about raccoons. Lots of problem raccoons in the city. Put up a flyer on a community bulletin board like at the grocery. Problem raccoons? Free removal! I bet you get a call from someone and then you don't have to worry about trapping public land. All it takes to get started is one trap and you can see if this something you want to do.
Talking about rabbits makes me think you are looking for table fare. Many people eat raccoon, beaver, muskrat so there you go.
Also if you can get to our class at Cabelas on the 8th I would encourage it. Sure you have the license but you will learn so much. It will be a tremendous help for you. You can see what traps we are using, a little how to on trapping and some fur handling.
Hope to see you there!
Bruce Vandervort

Offline zoomia

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 09:43:56 AM »
Thanks for all the responses! Boy am I embarrassed. I went back to the manual, and I must have glossed over the "European" in front of the "rabbit" on approved lists. Scratch that from the list. I mainly want to trap raccoon anyway, I was just thinking of that as an intro. And yes, I totally want to eat it. :)

I don't mind driving a bit. Among other things, we can't use a firearm in Seattle, and if for food ....

I would love to take the class; the problem is that I am going to be out of town for the first week and a half of December. Are you going to be offering any in January?

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 12:21:27 PM »
Probably won't have any classes after the first of the year. Depends on how many requests. I might do a request thread later on. At least on the west side we do most classes in the fall. I would encourage you to attend the Summer rendezvous if possible. Lot of learning possibilities there. We  do some demos aimed at the Trapper Ed class students plus other demos.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 07:03:38 AM »
+1 on the summer rendezvous. Great experience!
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 08:10:25 AM »
Public land trapping in winter shouldnt be a problem - woods are generally empty.  Just be off the trails and roads obviously. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]