collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Proper Hide Prep Questions  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Sheep_lady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Proper Hide Prep Questions
« on: October 24, 2018, 11:34:30 AM »
I learned to trap from my grandfather, who did it during the Depression (Also raise and butcher sheep, which is where this question comes from). My hide prep is giving me issues in the PNW. Worked ok in the midwest and great when I trapped in Cali, but not so well here. How do you dry hides in this damp????

I normally skin, stretch and salt the hide. After 3-5 days knock the salt off, scrap the icky bits off and dry the hide. I just lost a sheep hide because the darn thing wouldn't dry. How do you deal with the humidity here?   

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Proper Hide Prep Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 02:30:39 PM »
I'm guessing you are on the wet side of the state.  :)  I've never had that problem when I lived in Eastern WA, but did have problems in the HIGH humidity of Virginia.  The way I combated it was to run an ocillating fan non-stop and constantly wiping they hides down with a cloth to keep the oils and grease off of the hide side while they dried.  Some guys there also stoked up their wood burning stoves, they kept the furs well away, and they also ran a fan.  It helped a lot.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 03:49:04 PM »
Never had an issue with fur bearers but they aren’t sheep. I bet wet wool could be a problem.    Fan and heat sounds like a solution. Never used salt tho. 

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 04:23:46 PM »
Never a problem with a fan on the wetside

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal