collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Youth permit questions  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Youth permit questions
« on: October 29, 2018, 01:54:32 PM »
I have multiple grandchildren now. If I am understanding everything correctly, once they have hunter safety and the proper license  (ie deer), we can apply for a special permit. If they dont draw that year they will have a point. Is that correct? Also, if they dont draw once they turn 16 do they get to keep these points and put them towards a hunt they might want to do out of the youth category?
I've never applied for special permit but am considering starting to apply for myself as well to have the possibility of an easy hunt with the kids as well. If anyone has any easy hunt suggestions by the permits that doesnt require special access, I'd appreciate a PM. I'm not in a huge hurry, but my granddaughter is 8 this year and I want her to get the hunter safety done before next season so I am thinking about it. Thanks

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: Youth permit questions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 01:56:59 PM »
Any points accrued in the youth categories will stay there and be “unuseable” once they are no longer eligible for youth. Youth can also apply in all of the other categories and those points will remain valid until a permit is drawn in that category.

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 01:58:28 PM »
 :yeah: short answer, no points transfer to any other category

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 02:01:23 PM »
Pm sent
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 02:02:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies. The odds seem pretty good for some of the youth tags I was a little confused when reading the regs about the categories. So when I start buying their points, I can buy the youth hunt application and sheep (or whatever) up to 4 applications. Am I understanding that correctly?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:10:36 PM by Eric M »

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 02:02:42 PM »

You can put in for everything for half the cost until they hit 16.  Everything will build point wise until drawn "except" for those youth categories.  Once they hit 16 they can no longer use those unless they turn 16 after the permit deadline.  Ex. permits in by May 18th and they turn 16 May 19th.  If drawn for a big game permit, they can still use that draw, if drawn.  The following year, they could no longer put in for any youth points.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 02:04:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies. The odds seem pretty good. I was a little confused when reading the regs about the categories. So when I start buying their points, I can buy the youth hunt application and sheep (or whatever) up to 4 applications. Am I understanding that correctly?

You can put them in for every big game point option.  All the youth options and the standard ones as well.  Quality, buck, doe, bull, cow, sheep, goat moose, second deer.  I think it was running about $100 per kid for all options selected.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 02:05:30 PM »

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 02:06:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies. The odds seem pretty good. I was a little confused when reading the regs about the categories. So when I start buying their points, I can buy the youth hunt application and sheep (or whatever) up to 4 applications. Am I understanding that correctly?

You can put them in for every big game point option.  All the youth options and the standard ones as well.  Quality, buck, doe, bull, cow, sheep, goat moose, second deer.  I think it was running about $100 per kid for all options selected.
That could get expensive.Thanks

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 02:09:13 PM »

You can put in for everything for half the cost until they hit 16.  Everything will build point wise until drawn "except" for those youth categories.  Once they hit 16 they can no longer use those unless they turn 16 after the permit deadline.  Ex. permits in by May 18th and they turn 16 May 19th.  If drawn for a big game permit, they can still use that draw, if drawn.  The following year, they could no longer put in for any youth points.
Thanks. Looks like once they are 16 they (me) will have to pay full price even if they are awarded a permit. Okay appreciate it.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 02:11:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies. The odds seem pretty good for some of the youth tags I was a little confused when reading the regs about the categories. So when I start buying their points, I can buy the youth hunt application and sheep (or whatever) up to 4 applications. Am I understanding that correctly?

You can apply for up to four hunts on one application. Wasn't sure if you understood that correctly.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 02:12:11 PM »
Like mentioned, it's pretty simple.  The only difference between you and them is that they can apply for a few more tag categories that you can't (youth) and the cost for everything is less.  Once they are 16, they effectively lose any "youth" points that aren't used and the cost of their other applications and licenses goes up.

Yes, if you are buying your stuff and a couple kids, it gets expensive.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 02:15:00 PM »

You can apply for up to four hunts on one application. Wasn't sure if you understood that correctly.
I am pretty sure I finally get it now. 4 of those numbers next to the hunt names. Thank you

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 02:17:09 PM »
Like mentioned, it's pretty simple.  The only difference between you and them is that they can apply for a few more tag categories that you can't (youth) and the cost for everything is less.  Once they are 16, they effectively lose any "youth" points that aren't used and the cost of their other applications and licenses goes up.

Yes, if you are buying your stuff and a couple kids, it gets expensive.
Well I guess it's a gamble but Id rather spend the money on this if they're interested instead of video games. Thanks.

Offline RGB

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 08:02:37 PM »
My son (15) has drawn a youth doe tag every year he's hunted. At the same time, I have been basically buying adult points for him by choosing the points option for regular hunts. It adds up, but it's an investment towards our future hunts together. We never know how many of those we may get.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 08:04:25 PM »
My son (15) has drawn a youth doe tag every year he's hunted. At the same time, I have been basically buying adult points for him by choosing the points option for regular hunts. It adds up, but it's an investment towards our future hunts together. We never know how many of those we may get.
Sounds like a good idea. Thank you

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand