collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What do you consider essential decoys  (Read 4090 times)

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
What do you consider essential decoys
« on: October 30, 2018, 11:38:14 AM »
I dont have many decoys, and I always seem to be broke come hunting season so I usually gotta hunt on a budget, and my decoys are getting kinda old but I got a few ones I won't go without,

I have the obligatory huge bag of mallards but I consider my essential decoys my widgeons, greenwing teals and pintails. What do you or what don't you take?

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: What do you consider essential decoys
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 11:47:51 AM »
Dozen decoys, pull string and whipsplash decoy.  That’s all that’s needed in many cases.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 12:56:54 PM »
IMO decoys take a back seat to location. If you are where the birds want to be then you can get them in with just about any decoys.  I've had some of my best field goose hunts over a mixed spread of shells, silos and full bodies. Now a days I have an expensive spread of Avian X full bodies and I won't claim my success rate has gone up. Biggest difference is that I used to spend a lot of time scouting and would get on the X more often then not. Likewise, I grew up hunting over a big mixed spread of Flambeau and various other cheap duck decoys. We killed plenty of birds over those beat up old decoys. Now I have expensive Avian X and GHG floaters, still won't claim the decoys make me more successful. The only real benefit is that I enjoy looking over a realistic spread rather than a beat up old repainted spread. The only time I really care about being species specific is divers vs dabblers. The only common theme between them is I always deploy a Whipsplash or 2. Its one decoy that I would say is essential. Far more effective at attracting birds from distance than loud calling. Deadly effective in dry stubble hunts as well.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »
So ditch the mojo wind spinner and go for a pull string?

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 01:50:35 PM »
I have killed birds using just my spinning wing decoy alone but lately if I am going light or in a pinch, 4 decoys hooked up to a jerk rig does just fine.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Mfowl

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 02:02:34 PM »

Wind spinners work too but the whipsplash works on calm days and can also be set to create ripples/splashing in your spread much like a jerk string.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 05:04:18 PM »

Wind spinners work too but the whipsplash works on calm days and can also be set to create ripples/splashing in your spread much like a jerk string.

Lots of threads singing the praises of the Whiplash. I'm going to make at least one  after looking at youtube.

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 05:19:51 PM »
The most success I ever had waterfowl hunting was setting up with no decoys on a pond about fifty yards behind where my old man and his buddy would hunt. They'd spread out two dozen of the top of the line decoys, they'd blow their top of the line calls and sit in their top of the line blind with the top of the line dog and all the ducks would come try to land on an empty silent pond in front of a dumb kid hiding in the grass with his 870   :chuckle:

I won't claim to be a waterfowl expert or even any good at it. Now that my dad doesn't get after them anymore I have little to no success the once or twice a year I get out but I don't think the gear matters as much as the spot as has been said before.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 10:21:44 PM »

Pull string allows you to stop the wings.  When the birds pass by you can give it a quick spin and the birds will catch it.  Lots of times spinning them around for another look or they will drop feet down.  Learning when to use them and when not along with timing the pull can make a big difference.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 07:24:19 AM »
Scouting is first.  It will get you on an X.  Sometimes for us the X requires a few decoys and at other times, on the banks of a big water lake or river, it takes dozens.  We try to look like the gob of birds we scouted the day before.  If there are some on shore and others in the water, we go full tilt, bringing both floaters and full bodies.  After the divers come down in November we have to add them to our spreads.  Before that we can go out with puddlers only.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 07:32:35 AM »
If you are where they want to go, anything will work.  If not, that is where decoys can really help.  Trafficking birds to someplace they didn't want to really go is the chore of many public land hunters.

I don't think I could pick a single answer, I hunt areas that range from salt marsh to cut corn field to ponds, sheet water and just about everything in between.  Very rarely do I think more than two dozen decoys are beneficial for ducks.  Last year, I started using higher quality and I do think it helps a bit, but mostly they last longer, are easier to use and the paint doesn't flake after a couple of uses.

If I had 6 full bodies and 6 floaters in a 12 duck bag I would feel pretty good.  If I added a pull string spinner and simple anchor system to use a couple of the 6 floaters as a floating pull string, I would feel very well set up for most areas.

That said, for $40-50 you can get a new dozen cheap floaters rigged.  You can add another $12 for the dollar store paper towel stand field conversions and kill a bunch of ducks under field or water conditions.

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 08:29:15 AM »
I should add that motion helps especially on flat glass water calm days.  For this, we use jerk strings.  Because I primarily hunt in Idaho where we can use battery-powered decoys we can use shakers and swimmers to create ripples and the illusion of active ducks.  I will throw in my wonderduck splasher but nothing beats the jerk string for hooking birds.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 10:47:33 AM »
I refurbished my old decoys by only painting White with Titanium oxide in it on all the white spots exaggerating the size some what. Took hot soapy water and a brush to the white areas rinse well with hot water then let dry. the Geese and Drake pin-tail turned out excellent. We will see what improvements they make in addition to slightly wider neck rigs and wing patches on the mallards. Titanium oxide throws off a UV glow that real birds have that most decoys do not. Supposedly most noticeable in that magical hour at the beginning and end of the day.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline johnnyaustin44

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 11:54:17 AM »
I’d rather have a whipsplash alone than 2 dozen decoys without one. Don’t know how many times I’ve said that but it’s getting up there. Can’t beat a spinning wing in most cases.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 01:24:40 PM »
If you know where to look you can get the whiplash decoys in standard or flocked.

Offline Gopackers

• Pilgrim
    • N/A
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, WWA, TRCP
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 07:02:29 AM »
If you're hunting anywhere on the Columbia River, make sure you have a lot of coot decoys, as there are thousands of them and every duck on the river wants to hang out in the coot wads. I use 3dz of them, and a few each of wigeon, redhead, cans, and bluebills mixed in. The mallards will decoy all day long into that setup.

Offline eastsidemallard74

• Longhunter
  • EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF PETA EVOLVED FROM A HUNTER .
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 08:13:26 AM »
Good advice, do you use heavier weights?
Is it waterfowl season yet..............

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 10:23:50 AM »
Sounds like I need to get more puddle duck decoys. A pull string spinner, some goose decoys, and maybe some divers

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 10:34:00 AM »
If you are on a budget, stick with mallards as they are vastly cheaper for the low end stuff.  If you have a few bucks, I would suggest the 6 pack Avian X floaters as you can get wigeons for about the same price for mallards.

If you are packing them in on your back, teal decoys don't take up much space.

Offline Gopackers

• Pilgrim
    • N/A
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, WWA, TRCP
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 07:37:23 AM »
I use the Ace Decoy Anchor brand in an 8oz weight for the Columbia River spread. For salt water on the Skagit Bay Marsh , I primarily use 60" Texas Rigged with a mushroom shaped 6oz anchor as it's quicker to pick up, and re-deploy to account for the tide swing speeds.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]