collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Friend shot a cougar and wants to know who can process it .picture added.  (Read 12698 times)

Offline addicted1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Friend shot a cougar and wants to know who can process it
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2018, 03:35:25 PM »
Don't waste the front shoulders, plenty of meat to turn into burger.

Pretty easy to do it yourself, pull the backstrap and grind the rest, or save a few larger muscles out of the rump for steak or pot roast.

I'd offer in trade for a piece of backstrap, if I was closer.  ;)

Congratulations to the shooter!

I don't think you can legally trade game meat.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Friend shot a cougar and wants to know who can process it
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2018, 03:57:06 PM »
Don't waste the front shoulders, plenty of meat to turn into burger.

Pretty easy to do it yourself, pull the backstrap and grind the rest, or save a few larger muscles out of the rump for steak or pot roast.

I'd offer in trade for a piece of backstrap, if I was closer.  ;)

Congratulations to the shooter!

I don't think you can legally trade game meat.

You can gift it.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Friend shot a cougar and wants to know who can process it .picture added.
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2018, 04:54:00 PM »
I never killed one but the guys I know who have just take the back straps and most of the big muscle groups off of the hind quarters and leave the rest. Most processors usually have a minimum so unless its a monster you'd probably be paying a ton for not a lot of meat.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but that is a waste and they should be ashamed of themselves if they do that.  Cougar meat is excellent and makes great burger and sausage too.

:yeah:

No need to be sorry! That is wasting meat

So if you don't pick a cougar clean you should be ashamed of yourself?? What about my friend who shot a 200# cat 2500 verticle feet down in a hole.  He took out the head and hyde and all the meat he could get in one trip and left the rest. Should he be ashamed?

Got any pics of the 200 pound cougar? It would probably be a world record.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Friend shot a cougar and wants to know who can process it .picture added.
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2018, 05:15:48 PM »
I never killed one but the guys I know who have just take the back straps and most of the big muscle groups off of the hind quarters and leave the rest. Most processors usually have a minimum so unless its a monster you'd probably be paying a ton for not a lot of meat.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but that is a waste and they should be ashamed of themselves if they do that.  Cougar meat is excellent and makes great burger and sausage too.

:yeah:

No need to be sorry! That is wasting meat

So if you don't pick a cougar clean you should be ashamed of yourself?? What about my friend who shot a 200# cat 2500 verticle feet down in a hole.  He took out the head and hyde and all the meat he could get in one trip and left the rest. Should he be ashamed?

Got any pics of the 200 pound cougar? It would probably be a world record.

Its #7 in oregon. You can see a picture on nwbiggame.

Offline ALLTERRAIN

• Tracker
  • Groups: wenatchee mtn. masters, pnw4wda
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2018, 08:17:42 PM »
If it hasn’t been processed yet she might want to ask to have a rump roast cured n smoked like a ham roast. Delicious!!!! The rest into pepperoni.

Offline Nededog

• Pilgrim
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2018, 10:01:31 AM »
Hide and head off and gutted weight was 106 pounds. Nice big cat.
t

I’ve seen tons of cougar sign around 666 Yelm area off 510 and haven’t been back since about 2 weeks ago.  just out of curiosity where was it taken so that I may feel a little more comfortable knowing the coast is clear.  Much appreciated.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2018, 10:23:39 AM »
t

I’ve seen tons of cougar sign around 666 Yelm area off 510 and haven’t been back since about 2 weeks ago.  just out of curiosity where was it taken so that I may feel a little more comfortable knowing the coast is clear.  Much appreciated.

Are you serious?  :dunno:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Nededog

• Pilgrim
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2018, 10:59:18 AM »
t

Yes I’m serious.  I’m not asking for her/his hunting coordinates.  Just curious if it’s the same cat in the same area that I was hunting.  I saw tracks, skat as well as claw scratching on a tree base similar to house cats claw at a scratch post.  I’m new to the PNW, any help or information would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2018, 11:17:37 AM »
t

Yes I’m serious.  I’m not asking for her/his hunting coordinates.  Just curious if it’s the same cat in the same area that I was hunting.  I saw tracks, skat as well as claw scratching on a tree base similar to house cats claw at a scratch post.  I’m new to the PNW, any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
I can honestly say after my cougar hunt last year with Bearpaw Outfitters I have a completely different understanding of just how many cats are probably out there and how much ground they cover and actually overlap each other.

They are allowed to hunt with dogs, they take cats every year and there are new cats right back in the same area for them to harvest the very next year.

My guess is this is not the same cat that you saw tracks for and even it was there will be a new one in that same area next year.

Cats are curious so I am sure you have and will be watched whether you know it or not but the likelihood of you getting attacked are pretty slim.  You probably have better odds of tree falling on you in the woods than a cat attacking you.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Nededog

• Pilgrim
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2018, 11:25:26 AM »
@rainier10 thanks for the info!  I’m sure I’ll see one eventually, I’m just not excited to face off with one.  I’ve been still hunting but I’m now going to jump in a tree stand and get a birds eye view.   :chuckle:

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2018, 09:16:33 PM »
@Rainier10 thanks for the info!  I’m sure I’ll see one eventually, I’m just not excited to face off with one.  I’ve been still hunting but I’m now going to jump in a tree stand and get a birds eye view.   :chuckle:

I'd love top face off with one, I would win....   :chuckle:

Offline Nededog

• Pilgrim
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2018, 09:19:02 PM »
 :tup: I sure hope I see him before he sees me.   :tup:

Offline pcal

• Hunter
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2018, 10:29:32 PM »
What? :dunno:
Look at the mangled head and rear leg.Do you know of any  reason that a firearm would inflict those injuries? In the last 2 years I've picked up 3 roadkilled deer and past up quite a few that were mangled beyond salvage.The picture looks to me like a head shot from a suv not a 300 win mag.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2018, 10:34:06 PM »
What? :dunno:
Look at the mangled head and rear leg.Do you know of any  reason that a firearm would inflict those injuries? In the last 2 years I've picked up 3 roadkilled deer and past up quite a few that were mangled beyond salvage.The picture looks to me like a head shot from a suv not a 300 win mag.

Wow. Good imagination you have. I'm not seeing any of the things you mentioned.

Offline throttlejocky20

• Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2018, 08:22:32 AM »
I never ate cat before and dont think I ever will. If I do get a chance to shoot a cougar I will offer it up.on here.
Cougar is delicious
Remember that buck is climbing that Mt. every day!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal