collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Gravel boat ramp and 2WD issues  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Pete112288

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Gravel boat ramp and 2WD issues
« on: November 02, 2018, 12:45:39 AM »
Was gonna throw this up to see if anyone had any genius ideas to help me out that I haddn't thought of.
I really only have 2 places to duck hunt that I like and are reliable bird producers. One of them is just over an hour drive and does not get good till water levels are higher. The other is a 10 minute drive but has a gravel ramp till the water levels are safe enough to be above the drop off at the bottom of the paved launch.
I drive a 2WD 4cyl manual Ford Ranger with radial street tires and have no other vehicles at my disposal. I have a light 14' aluminum boat.
Last year I got stuck twice on the gravel side of the ramp when pulling my boat out. I got lucky both times that there was someone there that could give me a hand. I have been looking for ideas to allow me not to worry about it so much. Essentially the issue is loss of traction and it only takes a second for the rear tires to dig in the gravel, even with a bunch of extra weight in the bed.
I was tempted to try taking my snow chains with me in case I needed them they might work to get me the few feet I need to get to more solid ground. I have also been tempted to try doing something like this with some short sticks of rebar.
Any other great ideas? I dont have anyone to hunt with on most occasions either so I have to deal with it alone.
Thank ya
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:51:09 AM by Pete112288 »

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
Re: Gravel boat ramp and 2WD issues
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 01:18:04 AM »
Maybe a come-a-long and some extra cable or heavy rope if there is something relatively close to tie off of?   If the whole ramp area is gravel, had a couple old-timers used to say you could use an old car axle and pound it in the ground for a dead pull point...but not too helpful on blacktop though.

Something to lay down first that you could drive over and would give you grip when you try and pull out?  Don't know how well rubber on rubber would work, but the stall mats like you find at feed stores are usually at least 1/2" thick and in 4' long sections.  Some even have rolls that you can get it cut to odd lengths.
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 07:33:49 AM »
Rubber mats are a bad idea. Just hop on Amazon. A quick look has traction mats and a reinforced strap version of that redneck traction aid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 07:55:37 AM »
Rubber mats are a bad idea. Just hop on Amazon. A quick look has traction mats and a reinforced strap version of that redneck traction aid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

:yeah: some if those traction ramp things would be a good bet throw them in the back of the truck and then put them down where you need them light and appear to be a few feet long

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 10:34:24 AM »
Throw a couple 1x6x8 ft boards in the back of your truck and lay them out behind the tires. Could even through some non-skid tape on one side and some 1x1x6s mount s cross the boards to keep them stable.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 11:30:14 AM »
Put some wheels on the boat.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 11:56:41 AM »
Pete, this might surprise you, but there is an even more effective way to use that 2x4 and that strap.  (Check YouTube for videos, this is somewhat common in Russia for tractors.)

Mount the 2x4 along the face of the wheel, with about 2" or 3" of the board protruding on both sides of the tire.  Too long and the board would hit the wheel well, of course.  Strap the board tightly to the wheel.

This works with loose gravel and mud and snow, but not with hardpack.  Do it on both sides of the truck.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 12:20:51 PM »
Air down the rear tires to around 8 to 10psi. You will be amazed at how much more traction you will get. pick up a cheap 12volt compressor to air the tires back up.  :twocents:
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 03:01:51 PM »
Chain up

* Advertisement