collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Swakane (BBD!)  (Read 16680 times)

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Swakane (BBD!)
« on: November 04, 2018, 02:32:45 PM »
I’ve had nothing short of a dream season so far, notching my tag on two beautiful bulls in WA & ID.  When I found out late summer that I drew 3 quality tags, I knew I had to do what I could to give each hunt my full effort.  Like most, I have limited vaca and most of my planned scouting trips were sidelined in favor for the actual hunt(s).  I have Nov 15-20 slated to be in the woods.  It doesn’t look too promising for snow just yet.  I’ve heard both sides of the fence, people saying this particular hunt is totally dependent on higher elevation snow levels, and others saying don’t worry about it, they’ll be in there regardless.  Anyone have first hand experience with this tag or area in November?  I’m setting realistic goals, not expecting a monster but looking for the one that catches my attention.  I’m a self-proclaimed whitetail fanatic so chasing around Mule Deer will be something I don’t have a ton of experience with.

I’d love to hear from anyone who has experience with this unit in mid-November.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 04:34:23 PM by Hoythunter »

Online jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Swakane
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 03:01:18 PM »
There will be some in there. I bow hunt that unit every late season. Snow or no snow there are a few dandy’s in there. BUT they will not be by the road. Maybe? I never hunt close to the road. To many hunters by the roads.

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 03:11:58 PM »
Thanks jstone.  First item being packed is my spotting scope.

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 03:12:37 PM »
Had the tag twice. No snow either time. I won’t apply for it anymore.  Just hunting local bucks, but it only takes 1 big deer to make it a dream hunt.  Good luck

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 03:15:31 PM »
I've seen some big bucks in the swakane driving back to camp in the dark.  I'm sure the rut will keep the big guys up during the daylight.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 03:21:19 PM »
Had the tag twice. No snow either time. I won’t apply for it anymore.  Just hunting local bucks, but it only takes 1 big deer to make it a dream hunt.  Good luck

Not what I wanted to hear  :chuckle:

It is what it is.  Looking forward to the experience and hopefully a 5.5 yr old local trashy buck will show himself.  I’ve had such a incredible fall so far, this hunt is icing on the cake.  I’ll be sure to post the good, bad and the ugly after this hunt.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 03:47:48 PM »
Plenty of good deer in the unit. I have seen some dandies with no snow but snow does help. Just get to high vantage points and sit behind your glass as long as you can. Pick the area apart.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 08:19:56 AM »
Most hunters who hunted in there probably had the modern "quality" permit (I had it in 08') and that's early Nov. I didn't have any snow and the best buck I saw was a 20" 3 pt...but Swakane is wintering grounds, so regardless of snow, your late Nov permit should be good/great no matter the snow conditions down low as the high country will be void of deer by then and they will have migrated down...hopefully all the way down, either way, you will have a great time and see animals!

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 08:49:29 AM »
Most hunters who hunted in there probably had the modern "quality" permit (I had it in 08') and that's early Nov. I didn't have any snow and the best buck I saw was a 20" 3 pt...but Swakane is wintering grounds, so regardless of snow, your late Nov permit should be good/great no matter the snow conditions down low as the high country will be void of deer by then and they will have migrated down...hopefully all the way down, either way, you will have a great time and see animals!

Grade

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and vote of confidence.  I’m really looking forward to getting boots on the ground.

Offline Bigbuckoholic

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 08:55:28 AM »
I was up in the chiwawa the last two days just north of your unit and was in about 10” of fresh snow At  around 6500’. It had the deer moving that’s for sure. Good luck and keep us posted how you do!

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 09:23:41 AM »
I was up in the chiwawa the last two days just north of your unit and was in about 10” of fresh snow At  around 6500’. It had the deer moving that’s for sure. Good luck and keep us posted how you do!

Good to know, thank you.  I heard the Chiwawa burned up pretty bad this summer, how’d it look?

Online jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 09:44:18 AM »
Stevens Pass has snow in it this morning.

Offline bowsandhose

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 10:04:35 AM »
I had that tag in 2016 it was in the 70s my first 2 weeks in there. pray for weather or it's tough hunt for mature Bucks
Any animal with a bow is a trophy.               IAFF
Save a 1000 elk kill a wolf.

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 12:27:39 PM »
70 degrees is brutal enough in September, let alone November.  10 day reflects cooler temp but not much moisture.  Will make the best of it with whatever hand I’m dealt.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 01:20:21 PM »
Assuming there's no major snowfalls look for ceanothus (buckbrush) in the mid elevations (3,000-5,000').  Find the does, they won't move very far unless they get disturbed or there's a good storm.  They will be within 3-5 miles of winter range typically.  Your best bet is to keep checking as many doe groups as you can find.

I'd love to have that permit this year!
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Mtnwalker
[Today at 05:24:30 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 05:23:46 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]