collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Reloading Powder Variability Question  (Read 2690 times)

Offline KP-Skagit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Reloading Powder Variability Question
« on: November 05, 2018, 09:51:57 AM »
I am a new reloader (as of last week) and had a question. But first some background, I am currently reloading my 30-06 with plans to reload my 300 H&H in the future. I am using one of the manual Lee powder dispensers the spits out powder based on volume. I have been backchecking the amount dispensed using a bar scale (that is calibrated) since I have found the conversions listed aren't the best. Once I have the thing set I run with it. However from doing this iterative process I have noticed that the powder dispenser has some inconsistency in what it spits out. It can also be seen in the casings themselves when I fill them. It appears it can swing maybe as much as half a grain. I am not a long range shooter by any means (in fact I should be a bowhunter) but I certainly would like to tighten up my groups using fireformed brass. I also just like doing things myself.

So the question, obviously consistency is everything but what type of variability in charge is considered "reasonable"? The next question is has anyone had similar issues with the Lee Perfect Powder Measure and how did you address? (Maybe it can't be done, I know it isn't the most expensive unit.) Obviously the surefire solution would be to scale each charge but that would take a long time with my present equipment.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
Re: Reloading Powder Variability Question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 10:14:21 AM »
Personally I don’t want any variation at all. Set the charge low and get a trickler to tickle the last little bit in on the scale.  If your node is large than a little variation is ok but half a grain could be dangerous. Powder trickler is cheap
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:12:49 PM by jasnt »
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline doubletall

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 10:24:17 AM »
Personally I don’t want any variation at all. Set the charge low and get a trickler to tickle the last little bit in on the scale.  If your node is large than a little variation is ok but half a grain could be dangerous. Powder trickler is cheap
:yeah:

Depending on the powder,a thrown charge can vary more than what's acceptable for a hunting load.  The time it takes to trickle to the exact weight is negligible compared to the time you spend on the entire process.  If I'm cranking out plinking rounds I don't worry about being off by a couple of tenth's I just check about every 10 rounds to make sure it's still close.

Offline Evil_EdwardO

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, LPC, ASF, GOA, RLRR
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 10:40:16 AM »
I use a Lee Pro Auto disk, which is also by volume. I only use it for reloading pistol and AR/plinking rounds. If I'm reloading rifle, I scale each charge. Then I re-scale my charge if something doesn't feel/look right. I'm probably to anal when it comes to reloading rifle but I am getting +/- 5fps deviation on my loads. And it does take forever but it is worth it for me.

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 10:59:13 AM »
Powder dispensers are good for handgun and AR progressive type reloading where being precise isnt so important as long as the load is safe and you have a cushion plus or minus.  Trickler is you best option at this point.  I use an RCBS Chargemaster so I know each load is on the money, and it is fast.

Offline KP-Skagit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 11:23:24 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I am headed to Cabelas after work today once again!

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 11:35:15 AM »
Powder dispensers are good for handgun and AR progressive type reloading where being precise isnt so important as long as the load is safe and you have a cushion plus or minus.  Trickler is you best option at this point.  I use an RCBS Chargemaster so I know each load is on the money, and it is fast.
The Chargemaster is on my Xmas list.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »
I looked at all the options and was ready to drop a serious amount of cash when I watched a few Youtubes and ended up buying this scale:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GYVQF3/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It looks like a joke at that price, but man I could not be more impressed.  I scoop then trickle out to a hundredth of a grain, for H4350, that is one granule.  Very repeatable and the numbers move as you trickle unlike almost every other powder scale.  It obviously doesn't drop loads for you like an automatic, but if you want absolute accuracy or only load moderate numbers at a time I don't see how it could get better.

Like a bunch of things these days, you can find the exact same thing under several "brands."  It comes with plastic tweezers which are handy for adding or subtracting a granule or two.

I only use it for rifle loading, no need for pistol or anything where I don't want to spend the time measuring each load.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 12:33:29 PM »
I can meter and trickle faster than any of the auto powder dispensers
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 12:50:03 PM »
In 35 years of reloading I've never used a powder dispenser or an electronic scale. I use Lee dippers, an RCBS manual trickler, and an RCBS scale. I weigh all my charges to the nearest tenth of a grain.

Offline Bill W

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 01:54:30 PM »
you didn't say which powder you were using but I'm guessing it's a medium sized stick powder.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 02:12:09 PM »
The Chargemaster is on my Xmas list.
there is always some really good deals on chargemasters for the holidays :tup:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 03:19:28 PM »
I have the charge master and realized real quick that under throwing a charge by .2 grains and then pulling the rest in is a lot more accurate.  Next time you use it, test it out.  There is a .2 grain window built into the unit when it says x amount of grains.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 04:06:59 PM »
I catch a lot of heat for this, but I still use my original Lee powder measure that came with the anniversary kit I bought 20 years ago. I set it throw a couple tenths light and then trickle powder onto the scale with a spoon.

Even worse than that, there are times that I'll just set the powder measure to throw a charge then just start cranking out ammo. In fact I'll load up 6 BR rounds with thrown charges of 30.3gr of Varget and still hold .5 MOA with them out to 800 yards. Same for the 6.5 Grendel, 375 Ruger and a couple other guns that I'll load up large batches plinking ammo. The key is that I won't throw charges if I'm running max loads.

The key is to be consistent. Fill the powder hopper up 3/4 of the way and then top it of when the level drops below the 1/3 point to keep the powder flowing consistently through the measure. Take the time to get it dialed in until you're throwing consistent charges and then throw 5 charges and weigh them. If you're within .1 grain high or low of the target charge, you're good to go. When you work the lever do it the same every time. I raise it up, tap once, dump the charge and tap again. This settles the powder the same every time and ensures that the powder doesn't bridge in the measure and throw either heavy or light.

If you want a new measure then by all means, get one. You would likely see more consistent thrown charges by just switching to a powder with smaller granules. Something like H4831sc would work in the 30-06 and your 300 H&H and meter really well. 

And FWIW, I still load all of my ammo on a single stage press. I'd still be using my Lee but I needed a larger press to handle the CheyTac case.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 04:35:42 PM »
You don’t have a trickler? Or just prefer the spoon?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand