collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Got opinions on WA deer management?  (Read 19808 times)

Offline Cervus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Got opinions on WA deer management?
« on: November 06, 2018, 09:21:18 AM »
FYI: WDFW is hosting a series of meetings this week & month to introduce the new Director. Here is a great opportunity to make your voice heard re: deer management (elk management, etc.). Want permit only draws for mule deer? Want to change the 3 pt minimum? Want more habitat protection? More Predator reduction? Show up and share your opinions w WDFW directly. Meeting details here:
https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/nov0118a/

Offline pmm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Got opinions on WA deer management?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 03:10:52 AM »
I would love to go to one of those meeting but the Wdfd always puts these meetings in Olympia or other places that are 100 miles away from the Seattle area.Heres a topic that needs to be talk about . Reopening Units 460,448,418,437 & 450 for late buck. I’m getting tired of hearing the same old story about deer hair lose that’s lasted over 15 years . You want more money tag and Licenses give us That live in those area our own late buck season instead of shoveling us all in to certain areas.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 05:07:10 AM »
Some of those areas are opened for late buck. It is a special permit now however which is fine with me.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 05:35:25 AM »
Trust me I would love a late hunt here every year BUT the deer population couldn’t handle it. Late quality tag is fine with me especially if I eventually draw one with that being said and guys  will be mad but what would be better is like a elk tag pick east or west and that will help the populations especially blacktail with it having a longer general season !
Oh ya and bring back hound hunting, foothold and snare trapping and baiting to actually have a tool to control predators ( especially coyotes)

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 05:44:04 AM »
The Good ol days of late Blacktail were good when the hunting community wasn't near what it is now. A high portion of the bucks taken were during that time frame and like Jake says the population couldn't with stand the harvest. Predator control is taking its toll in some areas. While its good to have trapping occurring it doesn't alleviate the need for bear, cougar, and coyote management.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 05:47:58 AM »
Half these meetings are already over?
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline skagitsteel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/ryan.gaither.908
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 06:23:14 AM »
Trust me I would love a late hunt here every year BUT the deer population couldn’t handle it. Late quality tag is fine with me especially if I eventually draw one with that being said and guys  will be mad but what would be better is like a elk tag pick east or west and that will help the populations especially blacktail with it having a longer general season !
Oh ya and bring back hound hunting, foothold and snare trapping and baiting to actually have a tool to control predators ( especially coyotes)

100 % agreed.  As much as I would enjoy a late rifle the units i hunt would not Support it.  We do really need the hounds especially for the cats, they are out of control in a couple of these units. Trail cams can be very eye opening.  Wonder if we could atleast get a special draw implemented for hounds.  Bear baiting would be nice but we should atleast have a statewide general spring season in addition to fall.  It’s amazing the coincidence on cam with lack of fawns in certain areas that have lots of bears.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 06:54:24 AM »

100 % agreed.  As much as I would enjoy a late rifle the units i hunt would not Support it.  We do really need the hounds especially for the cats, they are out of control in a couple of these units. Trail cams can be very eye opening.  Wonder if we could atleast get a special draw implemented for hounds.  Bear baiting would be nice but we should atleast have a statewide general spring season in addition to fall.  It’s amazing the coincidence on cam with lack of fawns in certain areas that have lots of bears.

I agree with everything here. I’d also like to see timber harvest come back to the NF, I know that’s unlikely. At least we get to hunt until Halloween, for now...

Offline Tradhunter

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 08:15:57 AM »
I agree with what has been said as well. i just think the whole game department needs to be restructured on how they manage or see whats actually important. It should flat out be that critters come first, then the people, then politics. Seems pretty well backwards in my opinion of how things are ran and have been ran for years now. Though I may be wrong as I actually try to stay out of the whole politics game because it just makes me have a bad day haha. You know its kind of funny (well not really) and I know its dependent on the Bio but I have talked with quite a few of them about animals and it just amazes me how their eyes can light up and they get all excited about some little critter such as a wolverine or fisher that I've seen but when you talk about any game animal such as elk or deer...they just are mono-tone and don't seem to care much. What is that?

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 08:47:45 AM »
Again I say...half the meetings are over??
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 08:55:52 AM »
I agree with what has been said as well. i just think the whole game department needs to be restructured on how they manage or see whats actually important. It should flat out be that critters come first, then the people, then politics. Seems pretty well backwards in my opinion of how things are ran and have been ran for years now. Though I may be wrong as I actually try to stay out of the whole politics game because it just makes me have a bad day haha. You know its kind of funny (well not really) and I know its dependent on the Bio but I have talked with quite a few of them about animals and it just amazes me how their eyes can light up and they get all excited about some little critter such as a wolverine or fisher that I've seen but when you talk about any game animal such as elk or deer...they just are mono-tone and don't seem to care much. What is that?

Because deer, and elk are so plentiful. :rolleyes:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 09:57:53 AM »

I agree with everything here. I’d also like to see timber harvest come back to the NF, I know that’s unlikely. At least we get to hunt until Halloween, for now...

I don't think any of this would get much argument from hunters here or anywhere.  Unfortunately, WDFW is an instrument of the State, and the people of the state.  They voted against many of these issues, which is why we can't bait bears or hunt cats with hounds.  I believe it would require a state-wide referendum vote to repeal these laws.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 10:43:45 AM »
Whatever. It’s a joke. I’ll keep giving WA my yearly hour of deer hunting and take the majority of my money elsewhere.
-Black Elk

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 10:48:52 AM »
Whatever. It’s a joke. I’ll keep giving WA my yearly hour of deer hunting and take the majority of my money elsewhere.
come to the one in Issaqua! I’m going

Offline Cervus

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 11:03:39 AM »
Mr Mykiss, I was also disappointed to find out about these meetings at the last minute. I'm not affiliated with WDFW, I just like to show up to these meetings and make my voice heard, and the advertising for these events was pretty poor. On the upside,  there is a webinar meeting on Nov 28th that anyone can participate in online if you missed the local meeting that was closest to you. (https://wdfw.wa.gov/)

At the WDFW 2018/2020 Public Season Setting meeting I attended in Wenatchee there were 20 WDFW staff and bios, but only 3 members of the public showed up. That meeting was well advertised, and yet pretty much no one bothered to attend.

At that meeting I asked why WDFW was managing NCW mule deer for "Opportunity" not "Quality" hunting, especially given the recent challenges face by NCW mule deer herds. Their answer was that WDFW works for the public, and that what they hear from the public is that we value the opportunity to hunt mule deer every year, more than the chance to hunt less frequently but be more successful. Personally, I disagree with this strategy, but I bring it up as an example of the kind of issue that WDFW needs our feedback on.

Whatever our opinions are on deer management, WDFW needs to hear them. And the public meetings are one way to do that. Hopefully this post enables some folks attend their local meetings, and we can all keep each other informed of future comment opportunities.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]