collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Waterfowl Mentors  (Read 2631 times)

Offline TP840

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Waterfowl Mentors
« on: November 09, 2018, 10:28:27 AM »
New to waterfowl hunting but I have a trained retriever. I am looking for a mentor or someone without a dog that can show me the ropes. I live in Spokane currently but I am willing to drive. I have a two year old field bred golden that has some professional training as well as hunt test training. My dog is steady and retrieves to hand. Any help would be great!

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
Re: Waterfowl Mentors
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 02:34:30 PM »
Do you have a boat? Do you have waders? Do you have a shotgun? Have you been practicing with the shotgun all summer? How old are you? How good are you at bird id?

Offline TP840

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 02:00:18 PM »
Thank you for breaking the ice ewueagles. I do not have a boat but I do have a shotgun, waders and other apparel needed. I did not shoot as much this summer as I would have liked but have knocked a few roosters down so far this year. I am 33 and have a wife and one young child.  I am more interested in working my dog and learning than I am shooting. I have been working on bird ID but have a long way to go. Thanks again for the reply!

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 02:07:24 PM »
Thank you for breaking the ice ewueagles. I do not have a boat but I do have a shotgun, waders and other apparel needed. I did not shoot as much this summer as I would have liked but have knocked a few roosters down so far this year. I am 33 and have a wife and one young child.  I am more interested in working my dog and learning than I am shooting. I have been working on bird ID but have a long way to go. Thanks again for the reply!

You will likely have a hard time finding an experienced waterfowler that does not have a dog. Any serious waterfowl hunter has a dog as it is almost impossible to effectively hunt without one. :twocents:

That said I'm sure you will hook up with somebody and you can learn the game together. Have you been training your dog? Do you run your own dog in the Hunt Tests? This is a important question as I have seen more times than not when a dog is "professionally trained" but the owner has no idea how to run the dog.

You don't want to be like this guy out on the pond. :chuckle:

Do you have an specific questions?
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline TP840

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 03:31:52 PM »
I am fully aware of the slim chance of finding a waterfowler without a dog but thought I would try for my dogs sake. I was part of a retriever club before moving but have not ran any hunt test yet. I plan on joining a local club in the spring and running my dog next summer. We have done lots of training so I'm confident we won't be like the video :chuckle: I guess I was hopful that some old timer was between dogs and could use a strong back to help haul decoys. Thanks for the input!

Offline fast60eddie

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 03:37:46 PM »
[

Now that’s clearing the Ducks 🦆 off the pond.

You will likely have a hard time finding an experienced waterfowler that does not have a dog. Any serious waterfowl hunter has a dog as it is almost impossible to effectively hunt without one. :twocents:

That said I'm sure you will hook up with somebody and you can learn the game together. Have you been training your dog? Do you run your own dog in the Hunt Tests? This is a important question as I have seen more times than not when a dog is "professionally trained" but the owner has no idea how to run the dog.

You don't want to be like this guy out on the pond. :chuckle:

Do you have an specific questions?

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 04:37:57 PM »
We all started somewhere so don't get discouraged by those who might cap on your situation.  I have been waterfowling for 23 years but don't currently have a dog that is ready to hunt.  My old dog passed away and I chose to not have another until I retired from work.  My pup is four months old and will not hunt until the 2019-20 season.  I have a few hunting partners but my main one has a dog that is probably on her next to last season.  So you might find someone who will find you and your dog welcome blind partners.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 06:08:45 PM »
I am fully aware of the slim chance of finding a waterfowler without a dog but thought I would try for my dogs sake. I was part of a retriever club before moving but have not ran any hunt test yet. I plan on joining a local club in the spring and running my dog next summer. We have done lots of training so I'm confident we won't be like the video :chuckle: I guess I was hopful that some old timer was between dogs and could use a strong back to help haul decoys. Thanks for the input!

Just to be clear I was not trying to sound like a jerk. Just trying to get a feel for where you are at and what you are looking to do? Spokane has some great training groups and a lot of fowlers so i'm sure you will find somebody.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline linxx77

• Hunter
  • President-Washington Waterfowl Association
    • www.facebook.com/linxx77
    • Washington Waterfowl Association-Spokane Facebook
  • Groups: Washington Waterfowl Association
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 10:17:14 PM »
Hi TP,

I've been waterfowlin' for only a few years, but have just recently moved to Spokane. I'm basically starting over, but would love to link up and maybe we can join forces. Let me know if you don't mind another rookie comin' a long!
orbis non sufficit

Offline TP840

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 08:30:07 PM »
 Thanks for the positive words Hayden. Cory I appreciate the input and did not take it as negative at all.

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 11:57:08 AM »
Try reaching out to the local clubs out there and see if you can get a dog training mentor. They may be more willing to take you and your dog along. Personally I dont really want to hunt with dogs that I dont know or hunters that I dont know, but come out and train with me, throw birds, demonstrate that you know how to handle your dog and I'd take you out hunting once or twice but I'm way over in Monroe. Sounds like you just wanna work your dog in some real life hunting and learn a little. HRC clubs are great for that kind of thing. Chewelah has a club.

Offline TP840

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 05:12:46 PM »
Colin you are one heck of a guy. I know this because you were once my training mentor. This is Tyler, you were a big help to me and my dog Abe before we moved 😂. I didn't get the chance to attend any training days after moving but plan on hitting it hard in the spring. I decided to take Abe upland hunting since I didn't get a chance to do as much close gun work as I should have. Abe has flushed and retrieved a few roosters so far and has had no issues. I think he is ready for his first waterfowl experience. Thanks for the advice and all the training help. How was your time with Andy and how did your dog do at the master nationals?

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 09:04:43 PM »
Colin you are one heck of a guy. I know this because you were once my training mentor. This is Tyler, you were a big help to me and my dog Abe before we moved 😂. I didn't get the chance to attend any training days after moving but plan on hitting it hard in the spring. I decided to take Abe upland hunting since I didn't get a chance to do as much close gun work as I should have. Abe has flushed and retrieved a few roosters so far and has had no issues. I think he is ready for his first waterfowl experience. Thanks for the advice and all the training help. How was your time with Andy and how did your dog do at the master nationals?
Working for Andy was a huge amount of experience in 12 weeks! More than I could have gotten in 5years on my own! We did good at the national. We were clean into the last series but went out on a double handle. Bummed but it was an awesome experience and met some really great folks! Glad to hear your settling in over there! Keep me posted how Abe's doing!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw