collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Why no muzzleloader in GMU 224?  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Bolete

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Why no muzzleloader in GMU 224?
« on: November 12, 2018, 02:31:43 PM »
I probably know the answer to this already but I’m curious to hear yours. Why can’t 224 GMU be open for Muzzleloader? I love this GMU but don’t love the 5 million hunters during modern season. I guess I could switch to bow, but I’m not there yet.

Suppose I should attend one of those WDFW forums to raise this point.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: Why no muzzleloader in GMU 224?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 03:05:04 PM »
Probably should be no hunting there for any user group for a year or two.     

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 03:09:36 PM »
also, Im guessing with current trends the first thing that should disappear would be the multi tag.   

Offline Bolete

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 03:45:02 PM »
That would be great.

2019 - closed
2020 - closed
2021 - draw only, spike or better
2022 - (and all even years) closed
All odd years, spike or better

What’s the thinking behind the 3pt minimum? My Dads family have hunted in Oregon with good success on a draw only spike or better unit and regularly get a good variety of bucks in camp. I’m not very educated on this subject but it seems less hunters in general would provide more of a quality hunt even if it were spike or better.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 08:54:21 AM »
3 point or better basically saved the Valley herd or postponed its destruction for many years.   It started in the Gardner unit and then because of its success or need expanded into the rest of the units.  Basically a horde of people from Western Washington descends on the Valley every year plus the local pressure and there weren't enough animals to go around.   ALL bucks were wiped out.   Nothing to breed the doe.   By making it three point or better, it allowed some extra escapement. Once a deer has a year or two under its belt, it has a better chance of survival  Doe were bred and life goes on.   Yes, draw only would be a way to provide less pressure.  I was extremely against it in the past as I loved to hunt every year.  I now see something needs to be done.   I practice self restraint and ripped up my tag this year.  I doubt there are very many who do the same.  I feel the herd is in such bad condition I didn't feel right harvesting a deer when I don't need to.

3 point or better a bad thing....hogwash.  It was a way to force people to have some restraint, allow hunting for all that wanted to do it. Antler restrictions are a valid tool, and they aren't the devil.

Hunting will be gone here shortly.  We view it as a lifestyle or tradition, but the reality is its a way to harvest excess game animals. With the introduction or comeback of the wolves, there will be no need for hunting.  Honestly it was the best way for tree huggers to finally end hunting. Checkmate!     

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 08:51:18 PM »
Hey Bone How about the idea of a east side or west side tag ( like elk ) and west side 2 point minimum?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal