collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Invasive predator alarmingly close to critical salmon habitat on Columbia River  (Read 4050 times)

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt

Offline Huntin Hounds

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
The Spokesman Review article has some pictures showing a 16" rainbow pulled from the belly of a 10lbs pike. Just imagine how much the 27lbs pike eats! No wonder the walleye fishing has seemed slow the last couple years. I think I am gonna start running 1 rod with a big spoon or rapala  on steel leader when I trout fish.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/15/invasive-northern-pike-found-10-miles-from-grand-c/

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
So how is it that back in MN there more bodies of water than I can count that contain pike, walleye, trout, bluegill, bass etc and the pike haven't killed them all off?
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
Sounds like the Wolf of the water killing everything it finds. Why can people accept to kill all Pikes and not the actual Wolf eating all our big game animals?  Double edged sword............
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 08:13:05 PM by HUNTINCOUPLE »
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Huntin Hounds

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
They certainly can exist together but with a similar relationship that wolves have with elk and deer. The other species will still exist just at lower densities. Some find that acceptable and some don't. The problem with Pike is that we already have major restrictions on salmon fishing because some runs are not doing well. We can have a great run headed to the upper Columbia but a crappy run headed to the Snake and if they are in the lower river at the same time the fishing will be limited to conserve the snake run. Why would anyone want another variable that will negatively affect already depleted fish runs?

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
So how is it that back in MN there more bodies of water than I can count that contain pike, walleye, trout, bluegill, bass etc and the pike haven't killed them all off?

I imagine salmon are more vulnerable due to there life cycle. Juvenile spiny rays have some protection by staying in weeds/ structure. Juvenile salmon are in open water for sometimes hundreds of miles. They're running a gauntlet. But man are northerns fun to catch!
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
The salmon and steelhead that were transplanted to the Great Lakes (and Chile, too) are doing great from what I hear.  Many thought they'd never survive that area, in part due to pike and muskie.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
funny how there is a bounty on the native "pike minnow" yet smallies and walleye are a non native specie

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
Caught 25 this year. Never in the 20 years I have fished on Lake Roosevelt had I caught a pike before 2018. Three 10 pounders had trout in their bellies. They will never keep them out of the lower Columbia. The last pic is of a tribal net boat. I watched from the bank through binos and saw only one pike caught but they tossed at least a dozen walleye (dead) back into the lake.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline whitey

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • thank a soldier
BuckCanyon what do you use to catch them? I hear they are good to eat?
Nice fish and its good to keep them in check.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
Mostly spoons and crankbaits. They are very good eating ...that is once I figured out how to fillet them. Big line of Y-bones to contend with.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline whitey

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • thank a soldier
I will swing by and talk to you the next time Im over that way.
I will have a spot in my boat if you have free time. If nothing else have a cold one.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
 :tup: :tup:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
This is my pike slayer lure

I fish it extremely slow on the surface so the back end just does a little   tik    tik   tik  back and forth, not even wagging back and forth but a pause when it hits each side...tik to the right, pause, tik to the left, pause...not a constant wagging back and forth...make since?  I use braided line for doing this with no stretch.

It never dives below the surface or those trebles will grab every weed in the lake  :chuckle:

It started as my laker trout for Idaho troller, but on some pike trips none of my "pike" gear was working nor was any of my friends.  They were soaking smelt, trolling spinner, tossing spoons..nothing was working.  Out of desperation I brought out my salmon/trout box and tossed this thing on and did a stupid slow retrive and bam!  then another and another and another!

It's so scarred up now it's hardly silver anymore.

good luck slaying pike  :tup:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 05:20:24 PM by KFhunter »

Offline Gearnut

• Tracker
    • never
  • Groups: joining some soon
Thanks for posting....I learned a lot.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal