collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shopping for muzzleloader  (Read 1589 times)

Online Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Shopping for muzzleloader
« on: November 16, 2018, 09:36:09 AM »
For years ive had a Traditions Kentucky rifle that I built as a kit close to 20 years ago, and I havent really shot it in years but am wanting to get back into black powder, and also get the girlfriend one too. Ive always been more of a traditional type of person and the one gun that has been catching my eye is the Traditions PA pellet buckstalker magnum, which is. Flintlock, just looks like a sweet gun...

However now that ive started looking again, seems there are alot of new guns on the market, the rules changed a little too, and im looking at guns i havent looked at before.

My kentucky gas a 48 inch barrel but only a 1:48 twist, but i like the long plain of sight, but again lots of new guns on the market...

I guess my only real want list in a gun is somrthing either 50 or 54 cal, that is a little more robust for hotter loads, and I wabt to be able to shoot round ball minie ball, jacketed sabots too... Flint appeals because no need to carry caps, and smaller caps except 209 and musket are too dinky for my hands to mess with, but, its doable...

What's good these days? Dont really wanna spend more than 450$

Offline phx2sea

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Pilgrim
Re: Shopping for muzzleloader
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 08:29:19 PM »
All my family members and I hunt with all use modern inlines. I don't know too much about flintlocks, but if you are ever in the Puyallup area I'd stop by Muzzleloaders Supply on River rd. The guy has a wealth of knowledge and has both modern inline and traditional style muzzleloaders at the shop. If you go modern inline I have a CVA Optima V2 that wont break the bank and shoots pretty good.

Offline addicted1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 12:34:41 AM »
If I were you I would go with a Knight Bighorn and call it day. Pretty sure you can still get them for under $450.

Offline dc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 05:02:47 AM »
If I were you I would go with a Knight Bighorn and call it day. Pretty sure you can still get them for under $450.

Yes on the bighorn.  They sell for more used then I paid for mine new these days.  250.00 for the stainless synthetic with thumbhole at Bobs many years ago.

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 06:42:38 AM »
Lyman makes the Great Plains Hunter in 50 or 54 or Deer stalker 54 with flint ignition and a 1-32 twist to shoot conicals.  I don't know where to get the best price but here is a link to the rifle.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/muzzle-loaders/great-plains-hunter-rifle.html

Here is a link to a dealer with price considerably lower than on the Lyman sight.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/487/2
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 06:48:17 AM by AWS »
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Online Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 09:36:08 PM »
took the girlfriend to Greens gunshop on Whidbey today, had her look at a few, she took one look at the modern inlines with synthetic stocks, and was totally not interested, she couldn't keep her hands off the traditional sidelocks like the hawkens and such... I picked out my next gun, but I think its time to get her one

Offline addicted1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 12:06:23 AM »
Sounds like the decision has been made. Have fun!

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 06:24:05 AM »
My girlfriend loves her tc hawken in .50.  Great rifle
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 06:45:08 AM »
 :yeah:  I'm old school i guess.   I think muzzleloaders are going to tech themselves out of a season soon.   Pellets, primers, stainless.  Thats not muzzleloading to me.   

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 06:46:12 AM »
now that WA allows 209's and non exposed primers, pretty much any of the ultra modern BP rifles are just fine.. mostly 50cal would be my recommendation for stuff here. 2 or 3 pellets vs loose powder (std or mag loading) and powerbelts i think would be your most accurate/ effective setup..

though the traditionalists would say "not muzzy" I'm not a fan of balls and long rifles, flintlocks ect..

note blackpowder will require washing frequently of your internals, 4 or 5 shots and you cant get a belt in the barrel with the buildup and very corrosive...kits avail for field cleaning if you desire too... don't cheap out , you will be sorry.
USN retired
1981-2011

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal