collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Steve Rinella Hound Hunt  (Read 14865 times)

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Steve Rinella Hound Hunt
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2019, 01:01:34 PM »
I think cats have figured out that they can fight and kill a single wolf pretty easily, and have applied that to hounds.  We have had several dogs ambushed by lions in the last couple years, in WA and ID. 

If a number of wolves show up they have to retreat and lose their kill, if one shows up I think they will fight for it. 

We run a minimum of three hounds now, no matter what.  That doesn't help the trail any, but it is a safety measure.  I also have bells on my dogs

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 01:15:24 PM »
might need to look at some gear the hogdogs wear  :o

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 01:32:27 PM »
Have considered that... They would overheat too easily and tangle in the brush.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2019, 02:50:37 PM »
I think cats have figured out that they can fight and kill a single wolf pretty easily, and have applied that to hounds.  We have had several dogs ambushed by lions in the last couple years, in WA and ID. 

If a number of wolves show up they have to retreat and lose their kill, if one shows up I think they will fight for it. 

We run a minimum of three hounds now, no matter what.  That doesn't help the trail any, but it is a safety measure.  I also have bells on my dogs

I agree and would add that I also think in recent years cats have figured out (in their course of of survival) how to confuse and evade a pack of wolves. Cats are running more circles and backtracking more often to confuse any trailing canines more than ever before.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2019, 03:22:20 PM »

There's a new dog movie out now that has the dog being rescued from wolves by a cougar, and they become good buddies.  So, will Seattle get the warm and fuzzies because cats are good buddies with dogs or be outraged by wolves being shown as being mean.   :dunno:

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 08:56:43 AM »
 Thanks for the replies on wolves and lions. That is what I thought would be happening and similar to what some friends had said. I am going to keep bells on my dogs. All my dogs had bells but as I changed collars I just kinda forgot about them.  I really like hunting 2 dogs on cats but I have 3 I guess wolves are a good reason to take them all.  Always felt guilty leaving one home anyways! I will be hunting some more remote stuff next few weeks and there is plenty of wolves.     

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 09:39:14 AM »
Thanks for the replies on wolves and lions. That is what I thought would be happening and similar to what some friends had said. I am going to keep bells on my dogs. All my dogs had bells but as I changed collars I just kinda forgot about them.  I really like hunting 2 dogs on cats but I have 3 I guess wolves are a good reason to take them all.  Always felt guilty leaving one home anyways! I will be hunting some more remote stuff next few weeks and there is plenty of wolves.   

Definitely keep the bells, we run bells on every dog, we never run a cat or bear if there are fresh wolf tracks nearby, and we avoid certain drainages and ridges that we know are infested with wolves. Even though some dogs have been killed/eaten by wolves with bells on, I do think it increases odds of survival for dogs hunting in wolf country. I've even thought of using those loud beepers that some bird hunters use on their dogs but haven't tried them yet. Be really careful if you go down around Grangeville, that seems to be where the most hounds have been killed by wolves.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2019, 09:50:18 AM »
Just for the record........................

I wish I was hound hunting right now.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 09:52:41 AM »

Definitely keep the bells, we run bells on every dog, we never run a cat or bear if there are fresh wolf tracks nearby, and we avoid certain drainages and ridges that we know are infested with wolves. Even though some dogs have been killed/eaten by wolves with bells on, I do think it increases odds of survival for dogs hunting in wolf country. I've even thought of using those loud beepers that some bird hunters use on their dogs but haven't tried them yet. Be really careful if you go down around Grangeville, that seems to be where the most hounds have been killed by wolves.

:tup: I have turned down some nice cat tracks because of fresh wolf tracks nearby before. Its hard! :chuckle: I have been lucky last few years to have spots that have some wolves but only minimal wolf activity. But like all good spots we are getting a lot more company so going to stretch out a little next few weeks. Thanks for the tips no matter where you go I think we will be hunting around wolves from now on.   

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 10:10:43 AM »

:tup: I have turned down some nice cat tracks because of fresh wolf tracks nearby before. Its hard! :chuckle: I have been lucky last few years to have spots that have some wolves but only minimal wolf activity. But like all good spots we are getting a lot more company so going to stretch out a little next few weeks. Thanks for the tips no matter where you go I think we will be hunting around wolves from now on.

It's too bad a guy has to avoid hunting because of wolves, a sad state of affairs to say the least.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]