collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New muzzleloader guidance  (Read 3955 times)

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
New muzzleloader guidance
« on: November 19, 2018, 01:42:40 PM »
I have been a stick-n-string and modern guy all my life.  Never touched a ML.   I am seeing that in some of the places I hunt, being able to use a ML could help with draws, plus I like trying new things, so I am looking to pickup my 1st ML.

I know WA changed the laws this year and now allow 209 primers, so I def want to take advantage of that.  However beyond that I am a bit clueless.

WA does not allow scopes, but another state I hunt in does allow them.  I would like to have the ability to mount a scope when I take those trips out of state.
I think I want an inline ML, but honestly am not sure what the difference really it?

Looking to start on the economy side of things if at all possible.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: New muzzleloader guidance
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 02:28:23 PM »
Modern inljnes imho are great, they are accurate and can accept a multitude of conical bullets, jacketed sabot rounds, there is more flexibility with powders, and essentially have the feel and handling characteristics of a modern firearm, they dont call them season extenders for nothing. And they are damned accurate. Plus you can scope them, but honestly I think a scope is useless on a muzzy because you are gonnna want to keep your shots under 100 yards....think improved older cousin to the shotgun slug gun. Maybe on the right inline with powder and bullet combo dialed in you could push 150 yards but, powder and bullet combination is paramount

Personally im a history nerd and dont care to own a modern inline, im actually in the market for a flintlock

However, you have to keep in mind that during the American revolution, militia men were notorious for picking off redcoats at 200+ yards with a kentucky or Pennsylvania long rifle, and that conical bullets werent on the battlefield for another 100 years. If you pick up a traditional black powder rifle, you are entering a forgotten chapter of history. Those guns are damned accurate too. I can lob a .490" 50 cal lead round ball with 100 grains of fffg powder out of my caplock Kentucky and consistantly hit a paper plate target at 50 yards, off hand, no patch around the ball, on a rifle I built from a DIY kit. Thats casual shooting with no care for accuracy, thats just making it go boom, I can group 3 inchs at 50 yards with a patch n ball, but its been a while since ive gone to the range and I just got a new barrel, so, it takes alot of practice to dial in the perfect load, but when you get that figured out (and there is a ton of load data out there, these guns are absolute tack drivers. A guy i know picks off poker chips at 75 yards with a 50 cal flintlock, call up greens gun range and ask for yourself

To each thier own, it really comes down to shooting ability and time at the range exploring the hundreds of bullet/lead round ball, patch, powder brand, and powder loads til you find the one that works best for your gun.

It encompases every aspect of hunting, shooting, and handloading your own amunition into a single shot that can make or break your season

There are still some shooting records held today done with a kentucky long rifle. Its a gun that has held fast for 300 years... I shoot one, looking to build a second

And yes, you can order them as kits, to build your self, and they legally dont require paperwork
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:38:20 PM by Night goat »

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 02:31:36 PM »
I’m in the same boat—no advice but curious to read any responses.

I heard the entry level CVA’s shoot well enough for non-scoped ranges. But like you, I’m also planning on hunting another state that allows scopes, so I’d like something accurate enough to reach out to 150 yards or so. Not sure if I need to spend more to do that.

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 12:37:43 AM »
The simple answer to "should I get into muzzleloading"

Is simple as hell. If you are interested in it, buy a gun that you like, and start shooting. Guaranteed, there wont be the same gun that shoots the same load twice

If you wanna get into it, buy a gun, start shooting, figure out your own formula for accuracy, per gun, hit targets, kill kritters

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 12:51:35 AM »
To me, muzzleloading is to the gun world as to which fly fishing is to the angling world

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 11:28:49 AM »
So can anyone eleborate a bit on the "NW Legal" ML rifles?  Since WA changed this year to allowing 209's how does that change what a person would need to buy?  I just skimmed the ML regulations and I no longer see anything about being open to elements?
Muzzleloader Regulations
1 Definitions.
a Muzzleloader: A firearm that is
loaded from the muzzle and uses black
powder or a black powder substitute as
recommended by the manufacturer for
use in all muzzleloading firearms
b A muzzleloading firearm shall be
considered loaded if a powder charge
and a projectile, either shot or single
projectile are in the barrel and the
barrel or breech is capped or primed
2 It is unlawful to hunt wildlife using a
muzzleloading firearm that does not meet
the following specifications:
a A muzzleloading shotgun or rifle must
have a single or double barrel, rifled or
smooth-bored
b A muzzleloading shotgun or rifle used
for deer must be 40 caliber or larger
Buckshot size #1 or larger may be used
in a smoothbore of 60 caliber or larger
for deer
c A muzzleloading shotgun, rifle, or
handgun used for all other big game
must be 45 caliber or larger
d Persons lawfully hunting small game
with a double barrel, muzzleloading
shotgun may keep both barrels loaded
e A muzzleloading handgun must have
a single or double barrel of at least
eight inches, must be rifled, and must
be capable of being loaded with fortyfive
grains or more of black powder
or black powder substitute per the
manufacturer's recommendations It
is unlawful for any person to carry
or have in his possession any firearm
while in the field muzzleloader
hunting, during an muzzleloader
season specified for that area,
except for modern handguns carried
for personal protection Modern
handguns cannot be used to hunt big
game or dispatch wounded big game
during an muzzleloader, big game
hunting season
f A muzzleloading handgun used for big
game must be 45 caliber or larger
g A handgun designed to be used with
black powder, including black powder
percussion revolvers, can be used to
hunt forest grouse, cottontail rabbits,
and snowshoe hares
3 In addition to the above requirements,
it is unlawful to participate (hunt) in a
muzzleloading hunting season using a
firearm that does not meet the following
specifications for a muzzleloader As in
the past sabots are allowed Any type of
projectile is allowed
a Ignition is to be wheel lock,
matchlock, flintlock, or percussion
Primers designed to be used in
modern cartridges are legal

b Sights must be open, peep, or of other
open sight design Fiber optic sights
are legal Telescopic sights or sights
containing glass are prohibited
c It is unlawful to have any electrical
device or equipment attached to a
muzzleloading firearm while hunting
d Those persons lawfully hunting
big game with a double barrel
muzzleloader may only keep one barrel
loaded
4 Muzzleloading firearms used during a
modern firearm season are not required
to meet ignition, sight, or double barrel
restrictions
The kits I have seen in the past all converted the gun to use the other musket cap style primers as well as the open breech plug.  Are there new kits now that are open and 209?  Or do you just buy the std gun (Say CVA Optima V2) and move on with life?

Offline Killmore

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 12:18:33 PM »
No need to buy a northwest legal gun, if you do then you will be converting . I bought the optima about 7 years ago so I converted which is very easy. You do not have to have the primmer open to the elements. But do have to have open sights

Offline Killmore

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 12:21:23 PM »
also, I changed mine to a peep sight which sets on a rail that one could add a scope if needed. The folks at muzzleloader.com has every thing you need.

Offline Alex08

• Tracker
    • Hunting washington state, washington elk hunting, washington state fishing
  • Groups: None
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 02:36:40 PM »
I’d recomend a cva optima its pretty afordable at around the 250-350$ price range its what i have and they are great quality when i got mine it was a tad off at 50 yards i adjust the sights and boom dead on. Now i can hit 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards all day long with it and you can mount a scope on it easily without having to remove the iron sights.

Offline bkaech

• Scout
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 07:00:24 PM »
CVA optima is exactly what I have and love it. New wa regs mean you can use just about any muzzle loader. I recommend a break action in-line as they are simple and protect your goods from the elements. Also if you can make it to Muzzleloader Supply on river road in puyallup the owner is a wealth of knowledge and can get you started. The only thing I disagree with him on is I would stay away from powerbelt bullets, they don’t have the terminal performance of better bullets such as Barnes.

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »
Ive been running a CVA Elkhorn for years and taken a couple deer with it, no complaints. comes with all the breach plugs you need if theres a state that has some limitation and I threw on QD rings for the same reason. I haven't used in in WA in a while, I had it set up for out of state but I was shocked at the groups I could get out of it. At the time I used power belts but I'm sure theres better stuff now. ML is a bit cheaper to get into than bow IMO.
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 09:29:58 AM »
Thanks a bunch guys!

I was thinking about the Accura, but I think I will go with the Optima for a starting point.  I liked the adjustable trigger and better barrel finish of the accura, just do not want to jump that deep into the lake on the 1st one in case I find I just do not like the ML format.  I was going to buy this week but some jerk buddy of mine made sure I saw the sale on some other gear I have been wanting and I spent my play $.  DOH!

For those that have an Optima, in my research I found a few threads that mention if you are unhappy with the trigger you can send it back to CVA and they can adjust/lower it down to around 3.5# pull.  I have learned this last year with my 308 that a lighter/cleaner trigger can make all the difference in the world for groups.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 09:50:23 AM »
So a follow up, to keep things in one place.

What are the recommended tools/items for a 1st time ML owner to buy right off the bat?

I have seen threads about different powders, some love pyrodex, some say it makes carbon ridges making bullet seating difficult.  Some mentioned BH209 powder.

I thought years ago I heard someone (maybe at range) mention speedloaders and that they are highly recommended so you can pre-measure powder at home and have it the same every time at range or hunting?

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 09:57:39 AM »
Get a "range rod" the ones under the barrel suck for all day use. and yeah pryrodex pellets and speed loaders are awesome. also a cleaning kit for JUST black powder.
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter.

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 01:24:54 PM »
So a follow up, to keep things in one place.

What are the recommended tools/items for a 1st time ML owner to buy right off the bat?

I have seen threads about different powders, some love pyrodex, some say it makes carbon ridges making bullet seating difficult.  Some mentioned BH209 powder.

I thought years ago I heard someone (maybe at range) mention speedloaders and that they are highly recommended so you can pre-measure powder at home and have it the same every time at range or hunting?

Depends if you want a traditional old fashion gun or a modern muzzy

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU