collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kent & Hevi-Metal & Choke Tubes  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Pete112288

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Kent & Hevi-Metal & Choke Tubes
« on: November 20, 2018, 01:12:44 AM »
So I am looking to spend some Cabelas gift cards I got for my birthday. I really wanted to pick up a new stock for my Mossberg 500 or some Magnum/Oversize pintail decoys but I dont see any on Cabelas anymore.
I have been shooting Kent 3" #3s for ducks for several years and overall am very pleased with them.
I am just shooting the factory flush modified choke.
I shot a few shells of Hevi-Metal years ago and had some impressive shots with it, longer range and 0 cripples. However, those were only 3 or 4 shots so not a large basis to draw a big conclusion.
I have heard Hevi-Metal can be pretty picky on which chokes it works well with. So far from the research I have done, quite a few say that it tends to like the regular extended Carlson's chokes.
I was thinking of ordering a couple boxes of Hevi-Metal 3" #3s and the extended Carlson's choke in Improved Modified.
I am having a little issue with making my final decision though, haha, like a kid in a candy store.
Really it comes down to if I want the choke tube more or want to replace my decoy retriever pole that broke on my last outing  :chuckle:
Any opinions when it comes to the whole choke tube and Hevi-Metal decision?
I was thinking of even getting just 1 box of Hevi-Metal to try so I can afford the choke and decoy retriever and test the Kent I normally shoot through the new choke as well. But I am so indecisive ha.

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
Re: Kent & Hevi-Metal & Choke Tubes
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 07:42:07 AM »
I have aftermarket chokes (Briley, Terror) and factory chokes and I used to shoot a lot of Hevi-Metal.  Patterns well with the terror chokes, but every gun is different.  Take all your chokes and the shells you buy and go out and pattern them.  The patterning board does not lie. 

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 08:11:34 AM »
I have a Carlson's IM extended and get donuts in the pattern when I tested it.  YRMV.   The tightest I shoot is LM but then I hold my shots to less than 45 (estimated) yards.  Carlsons should be announcing a Black Friday sale any day now.  It's usually 20% off.  On the topic of decoy retrieving poles I made one from a long handled painting pole and the skeleton paint roller that I bent up into a hook.   I believe I got that tip from @asmith a couple of years ago.

Offline Tjkride

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 09:34:02 AM »
Im running a Carlsons Cremator no-ported mid-range (light modified and it has patterned Kent #2's and Hevi-metal really well to 40-45ish yards.
Practical accuracy and a packable rifle.
Blued steel and walnut is always better.

Offline ASHQUACK

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 10:32:51 AM »
I shot Hevi shot's mid range or extended range with Hevimetal 3" #2 for ducks and geese. Really liked the extended range tubes for sea ducks.

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 10:34:41 AM »
I shoot Kent's and Heavy Steel with Kick's Vortex tubes, Mobil Choke.  The rounds patterned better than the Black Clouds it was designed for.  I think I am going to try some of the Heavy Metal Tungsten shells as they might be a nice bridge on price for 25 rounds vice the smaller boxes of Heavy Metal or Speed Ball.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal