collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Seek Outside or Kifaru Tipi Recommendations  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
Seek Outside or Kifaru Tipi Recommendations
« on: November 22, 2018, 10:24:55 AM »
I am pretty much settled on the Seek Outside titanium stoves, but I am open to information on the relative merits of the two brands' implementations of the eight man versions.

Weight is not a consideration.  Hikes will be short to nonexistent.

Durability is important.

Both have liner and mesh door options.

Seek Outside has some nice options such as half tent inner tents, upper vent, guyouts that double as smaller footprint pitch options, etc.  But I can't determine if the options will be ultimately illusory "benefits" that go unused.

Kifaru has perceived durability advantages, but I dont know if that is just marketing juju.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Seek Outside or Kifaru Tipi Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 10:31:02 AM »
I have used wall tents, alanaks all sizes, 2 mans and tipis.  If not hiking I personally wouldnt go tipi option.  With cots they get small in a hurry and condensation an issue.  They don’t go up that quick either.  For something with heat that you can pack they work but wall tent or alaknak much preferred if weight not an issue.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 10:36:23 AM »
I have used wall tents, alanaks all sizes, 2 mans and tipis.  If not hiking I personally wouldnt go tipi option.  With cots they get small in a hurry and condensation an issue.  They don’t go up that quick either.  For something with heat that you can pack they work but wall tent or alaknak much preferred if weight not an issue.

Fair point.  Thanks.  I likely wouldn't be using cots and all that, and storage and space for drying out a wall tent isn't likely in the cards, for the foreseeable future, whereas getting my boys out in other than fair weather is.

Also Seek Outside has 10% off next four days.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 10:40:47 AM »
 :yeah:

I would add that if your planning to use stock the tipi option is nice if space is limited. I have spent a lot of nights in a 6 man kifaru and it works good. Sheds wind very well and so far robust. Bought it used. No experience with SO.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 10:45:32 AM »
I do use mine for spike camps away from base camp.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 10:51:39 AM »
Fl0und3rz, neither!  I picked up a Luxe Hiking Gear Megahorn last spring and absolutely love it!  It's a bit heavier than the two you mentioned, but, has thicker material and works very well (at really, 1/2 the cost!).   Link to site below, and, I've attached a pic of mine in use in the Idaho backcountry this past SEP (I have a Lite Outdoors stove).  Worked like a charm and kept my buddy and I warn in some seriously cold weather :).  I live outside of Rainier... if you want to grab mine and check it out for a few days, you're more than welcome to.  RJ

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collections/lightweight-camping-tents/products/megahorn-tipi-tent-wood-stove-jack

Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 01:11:29 PM »
Nice!  Thank you, sir. 

I have seen those.  I am on the right side of WA, now, so I probably won't be able to checknot out.  But I should reevaluate whether I might pack it in a ways and give the Luxe another look.

How well does the venting work at the top?  Does it help alleviate any condensation?

Ultimately, I will likely sew my own smaller, packable version, so the Luxe might fill the bill, for now.  But I do like the Seek Outside's half shelter that would be helpful for protecting the wife from creepy crawlies.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 01:24:08 PM »
No venting issues/condensation noticed during times I used it. The bungled top works well. Inner tent?  Luxe has you covered if you wish to go that route.

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collections/lightweight-camping-tents/inner-tents
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 01:44:00 PM »
Nice.  I'll definitely check them out.  I am wondering why the price difference.

Offline WildlifeAssassin

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 05:51:10 PM »
I have a “4 man” from SO. 2 men and a stove is fairly crowded in real hunting scenarios. It got one small tear from a very large branch impact, damage is much less than I expected from such a large branch. I like the stove but if you don’t have to pack it in very far definitely get the biggest size they have as the little one takes a lot of work to keep fed. Good product, good customer service, US made, not cheap. If it won’t hurt the pocketbook too bad, go for it.

That said the alaknak tents from cabelas are far more comfortable and durable and if I wasn’t going into the back country that would be my choice for sure. If it gets wet any tent is going to need to dry and an 8 man tipi isn’t small. Good luck.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 09:36:42 PM »
If you’re interested in liners or bug nets or bathtub floors you can always look at Bearpaw Wilderness Designs as he makes that stuff for most popular brands.
Flounders if you want to try out a tipi in general you’re welcome to take my GoLite SL-5 and give it a whirl. It doesn’t have a stove jack but I’m hoping to add one soon. I have the nest and the bath tub floor for it too.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 12:21:10 AM »
Thanks to both.  The more I look, the more I am leaning to SO, mainly for the features, USA made, and that it could be packed shorter distances.  Not inexpensive, but it gives me satisfaction to support American workers.

On drying, my thinking was that it could hang mostly vertical with a bit of attention to shifting the exposed areas outward for a relatively quick dry time.  This works well for the few silnylon tarps and poncho that I have as well as conventional backpack tents. The Alaknak tents I would think would require more room (not currently available), attention, and time, similar to the wall tent that I share with my brother.

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 08:25:43 PM »
Tagging...

Absolutely love my alaknak, but too big for much of anything beyond base camp, the alaknak goes where my Jeep goes, with woodstove it comes in close to 200lbs, however its still an ultralight in the wall tent world.

Definatley need something that is backapckable.

Anybody look at the Lil Bug Out by Seek? I like the concept of it being modular...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:04:02 PM by Night goat »

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 08:49:27 PM »
Drying is not a big deal with SO tipis. Drape over your car in the garage overnight.  They arent like wall tents.  I just drape mine over a couple chairs in the spare room.

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 11:47:06 PM »
No venting issues/condensation noticed during times I used it. The bungled top works well. Inner tent?  Luxe has you covered if you wish to go that route.

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collections/lightweight-camping-tents/inner-tents

Hey Wapiti, what kind of waranty do those come with? Dont mean to hijack but, im in the same boat and have slowly been warming up to "buy once cry once" depending budget

I deliberated all evening about buying a Luxe hexipeak XL with stovejack...i got the cash now, I obviously have a need a tent like this....but...

At least with seek or kifaru if something gpes wrong, they have your back. Kinda why I went with my alaknak (cuz cabelas is gonna be around forever, or so I thought.. Hopefilly bass pro will honor the waranty!)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 11:54:50 PM by Night goat »

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 05:54:11 AM »
:yeah:

It's no threadjack.

Drying is not a big deal with SO tipis. Drape over your car in the garage overnight.  They arent like wall tents.  I just drape mine over a couple chairs in the spare room.

That's been my experience with silnylon tarps and ponchos, and my expectation for a tipi.  Couple that with ability to pack and USA made, I think I am going SO, before the sale ends.  I'll get the nest later, if necessary.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 06:23:12 AM »
Wasn't a guy on here making tipi tents. Cant remember who but I thought the ones he made everyone loved. ? I could be wrong. Just a thought.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 11:44:11 AM »
Jonathan_S made some I believe. Not sure if he actually makes them to sell.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2018, 07:53:57 AM »
I bought a SO 8 man about a year ago and have 20-25 nights in it. No complaints whatsoever. I’ve used it as a base camp tent on short weekend hunts when setting up a wall tent wasn’t worth the effort and I’ve hauled it into the backcountry for wilderness hunts. It’s held up in all conditions, kept me warm, dry and in good spirits.  Even took it to the beach for a warning hut during razor clam digs. The family and friends love it too.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2018, 09:00:00 AM »
I have multiple shelters from Jon and they are top notch.  He will build you whatever you want  :tup:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2018, 08:22:41 PM »
I also have a Jon S shelter and a tarp. Great quality.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2018, 07:47:19 AM »
Ordered a SO 8 man with XL stove and bug net doors.  Use coupon code THANKFUL to receive 10% off.  Expires today, 11/26/18.

Thanks for all your input.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal