collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Two weeks of vacation  (Read 853 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Two weeks of vacation
« on: November 24, 2018, 09:31:01 PM »
So I have had the past 2 weeks off for whitetail hunting.  I was so excited!!! The first day off I did all of my honey do lists.  Next morning I woke up with a sore throat.  I've been sick as a dog for the whole two weeks, hacking a lung up, stopped up nose, sneezing all the time.  I got out for 3 hours one day and 2 hours the next day.  Sucked.  Last night we got dumped on, 7 inches of heavy wet snow.  I headed out to the stand at noon. Just about killed me walking in, my lungs were on fire.  Got all set up.  Was in the stand for about 30 minutes.  I look down and realize my fricken trail camera has been stolen.  It was in a metal box locked with a python lock.  I was standing in the stand, leaning against the tree with my left shoulder.  I had my rifle cradled in my left arm at the 9 o'clock position.  Fricken pissed that I had joined the stolen trail camera club when I looked to my right at the 2 o'clock position and see a HUGE stud buck walking in at 13 yards.  No sound in the deep wet snow.  He's walking straight at me coming uphill.  I get the safety off and start turning real slow.  I get about half way and he grunts and keeps walking straight at me.  At 5 yards he stops, looks right at me.  Stares for a couple of seconds and spins and runs.  I get a millisecond of his ass in the scope before he is out of sight again.  I see quick glimpses of him three more times as he leaves.  No chance for a shot.  I try a series of grunts, but the gig is up!  What a nice big 5x5, neck all swollen.  I put my back to the tree and in about an hour I do another series of tending grunts.  About 2 minutes later I look to my right.  Basket racked 4x4 is walking in at 15 yards or so.  I get the safety off and start turning and he hits my scent trail and spins and leaves from there.  2 bucks in bow range and no shot opportunities!!  What a beautiful night in the stand.  I fly out tomorrow for a week back east.  Got 2 more weeks of archery season when I get back.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
Re: Two weeks of vacation
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 09:42:20 PM »
Cool story bro!   :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal