collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long do elk stick around?  (Read 1706 times)

Offline chrissmith002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
How long do elk stick around?
« on: November 25, 2018, 07:12:12 PM »
I'm new to hunting, only got a turkey in October on my first hunt ever. Archery, so I am hunting for the next few weeks.

This is on the west side, southern

Today when I was out solo, I got hot on a trail. Went into a cut that was re-planted probably 8 years ago. There was scat everywhere, fresh tracks, rubs, the whole 9. I got in about 100 - 200 yards and heard a big rustle. Went in a bit deeper towards the noise, the whole time I'm down wind. I had no way of not making noise on the path I was going on, there was pretty thick under brush. I stepped on some holly looking plants and they made some noise. Couldn't have been more than 30 yards away I heard a big grunt? and smaller... don't know how to explain that noise. I'm guessing a Bull and a Cow. They both took off, not thrashing, but they definitely got spooked and left.

There were beds everywhere, and every 10-15 yards was scat. None of it was very old. Around 2pm I decided to turn back. I didn't want to start something I couldn't finish today, taking tomorrow off isn't an option. (Thought about it!)

Question is- how long can elk stick around? I know that they are pretty habitual, is it just weather dependent? This was around 800 ft in elevation.

I can only hunt weekends, but I am going out with a buddy who is more experienced next Saturday- Sunday. Is there a chance they might still be there? Obviously I'm going to check regardless.... Hopefully I didn't miss my opportunity! Any experiences on how long they can stick around? Any tips on what I should have done differently?

Online Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: How long do elk stick around?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 07:32:35 PM »
If you didn't spook the willy's out of them they will stick around as long as they want to.

Not trying to be a smart alek, but I've bumped elk and found them in the same place the next day plenty of times.    Sometimes not.

On;y one way to find out.

Good luck!
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 07:43:00 PM »
Elk typically have a home range of several square miles. It's not uncommon for them to move several miles a day. Without pressure I would venture they are in the same general vicinity but not necessarily on the same ridge or drainage. Also remember there may be multiple groups so you may see different elk.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline chrissmith002

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 07:47:02 PM »
Sweet! Well that gets my hopes up! I've been scouting all modern season for them (with little luck) and just happened to be lazy today and not go as high up. I think all of the pressure was/ is higher up on the ridge  :dunno:

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 09:36:07 PM »
If they are unpressured there’s a good chance they will be in the same area. I have seen them camp out in the same little area for months.But elk are like nomads and will clear out of an area for seems like no reason at all sometimes. Good luck!

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 08:20:24 AM »
West side elk often don’t move far. My money would be on them being very close by.

Offline GodLovesUgly

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 03:05:03 PM »
Don't spend too much time being overly cautious to be quiet.  Elk are NOT quiet animals in the woods, often times you'll hear them long before you ever see them.  If you're "being sneaky" and trying your hardest to be quiet all you're doing is acting like a predator.  Walk with purpose, obviously don't just go stampede thrashing in, but don't spend as much time worrying about being silent.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal