collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Shank Idea  (Read 4169 times)

Offline merkaba93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
New Shank Idea
« on: November 29, 2018, 11:48:09 PM »
So I tried this with some venison shank.
Osso Buco is tried and true. But you can only do it so may times and then want to try something new.

So took the shank cuts and marinaded over night in:
1/2 cup fish sauce
2 shallots minced
1 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup sugar
2 stalks lemongrass minced
1 star anise

Then trussed with butcher twine and braised in coconut water, ginger, lemongrass and galangal. Cooked until just a bit before fork tender, because I didn't want them quite to fall off the bone.

Took them out and dredged them in rice flour then flash fried until crispy.
Did a quick caramelized brown sugar, soy and fish sauce.
Served over daikon radish puree.

It worked. Tasted Great.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 07:20:46 PM by merkaba93 »
Be Better than Cream of Mushroom Soup

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
Re: New Shank Idea
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 04:35:25 AM »
Looks delicious!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 09:20:38 AM »
Just about all my favorite flavors. I've done similar with chicken wings, but never dreamed of a shank. Good thing there are 4 venison and 2 bear shanks in the freezer!
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline KillerBeee

• Tuna Meister
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 02:16:32 PM »
Merkaba,
    When can we cook together? I'd love to see you in action, help you, make a mess together, or just plain hang out some time.....

Dave Beee

Offline jkononen

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 02:40:52 PM »
Merkaba,
    When can we cook together? I'd love to see you in action, help you, make a mess together, or just plain hang out some time.....

Dave Beee
:yike:
we live for the nights we never remember with the people we'll never forget

Offline KillerBeee

• Tuna Meister
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 03:33:59 PM »
I know....I'm bold....I just love to see these recipes and would love to hang out during the winter months with someone with such great ideas. If you don't ask, the answer will never be yes....

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 12:34:22 AM »
Hey I'd be down.
I just don't travel to others kitchens to cook very often. It's such a pain.
My mother, brother and sister in law, and my kitchens are pretty similar so that's where I cook. This is on purpose and by chance as well. Seems like we recommend certain brands of kitchen gear to each other as we test them out and we end up changing to whatever we find is best.
Id think it would be fun to have a challenging theme meal. Test out some stuff I have bouncing around my head.

Offline KillerBeee

• Tuna Meister
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 09:20:01 AM »
How cool is that? Well, post holidays perhaps we can put a visit together. My house is small,  but traveling , I can do....Thanks for being open to this kind of meet, eat , and greet.
    Your ideas and photos have inspired me more than a few times. To this day, I look forward to making the Ras El Hanout dishes and I would never have know of them had it not been for you.
    Keep up the great work and inspiration.

Dave

Offline KopperBuck

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 09:25:01 AM »
Probably a dumb question, but with the shanks - either for this recipe or osso buco - are you removing them right away and freezing them? Typically I'm hanging meat for a bit so I end up with a bit of a rind. I've thought about just removing them right away no matter what because after the need for trimming on some animals, there's not much left.

Also, would elk shanks be too large for some of these recipes? Seems I see smaller animals used in the examples.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 09:35:35 AM »
[quote author=KopperBuck link=topic=233961.msg3125009#msg3125009 date=1544117101]
Probably a dumb question, but with the shanks - either for this recipe or osso buco - are you removing them right away and freezing them? Typically I'm hanging meat for a bit so I end up with a bit of a rind. I've thought about just removing them right away no matter what because after the need for trimming on some animals, there's not much left.

Also, would elk shanks be too large for some of these recipes? Seems I see smaller animals used in the examples.
[/quote]

I had this same dilemma. This year, I quartered my buck, and removed the loins, tenderloins, and all of the grind off the carcass right away. I bagged the grind and loins, the wrapped the quarters real well in plastic wrap, and tossed them in the garage fridge. I started butchering it several days later. I was very happy with the results. A fair amount of liquid has collected in the plastic. I'd wipe down the quarter before going to work, and there was no blood when I was butchering, as you tend to get doing it on day one. There was also zero loss do to drying. Sorry for a long answer to a short question, but at least for the shanks, get them off right away.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 09:46:27 AM »
That dish looks and sounds great. I'm going to try this all sous vide for about 18-24 hours without the deep frying and see how it comes out. I've got a smoked shoyu that'll work great. Maybe sub the bourbon syrup for the sugar and see what happens. I use it to make the dipping sauce and it's great.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 10:18:25 AM »

Honestly, since you are braising this cut for a long time, doesn't really matter if the outside dries out a bit. In my opinion anyway.

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 10:22:47 AM »
That dish looks and sounds great. I'm going to try this all sous vide for about 18-24 hours without the deep frying and see how it comes out. I've got a smoked shoyu that'll work great. Maybe sub the bourbon syrup for the sugar and see what happens. I use it to make the dipping sauce and it's great.

I use this recipe with pork ribs a lot of times. And instead of frying I just use the grill (in the summer). And use a bit different sauce for them. Your ideas sound great.
Haven't sous vide shank yet. Sound be great.

I know you know this, but in case others are reading this....watch for sharp edges of the bone, will end up with poached shank. Haha.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 10:36:50 AM »

I use this recipe with pork ribs a lot of times. And instead of frying I just use the grill (in the summer). And use a bit different sauce for them. Your ideas sound great.
Haven't sous vide shank yet. Sound be great.

I know you know this, but in case others are reading this....watch for sharp edges of the bone, will end up with poached shank. Haha.

Good reminder. I poached a nice rack of lamb because of this a few weeks ago. Luckily, I caught it early. The racks from COSTCO are great but they're machine cut and often leave a bone fragment on one end. Now I know enough to cut them off before bagging.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 10:37:05 AM »
How cool is that? Well, post holidays perhaps we can put a visit together. My house is small,  but traveling , I can do....Thanks for being open to this kind of meet, eat , and greet.
    Your ideas and photos have inspired me more than a few times. To this day, I look forward to making the Ras El Hanout dishes and I would never have know of them had it not been for you.
    Keep up the great work and inspiration.

Dave

Yeah, would be fun. Send me a message sometime. Would be cool to get a few people from here together and talk wild game cooking.
Some cool people on here. The meal would have to include some crawfish. I have a lot of fun making up new crawfish dishes because of @Shrimper and his competition he puts on each year. This guy is so nice to do something like that! Ya'll need to get in on Crawfish Mania 2019!!
Even @jackelope offered me some Mountain Goat meat to cook (was traveling out of state, otherwise I would have jumped on it). I mean how nice is that??!! It's not a secret I have an infatuation with that animal. Also want to make some cool dishes with it, no matter how funky the flavor is. Funky just means you got to work more.
And if you can't get all the awesome ingredients you got @pianoman9701 to help you out.
And @Angryperch curing meat! So cool to bounce ideas off this guy!
Yep, some cool people.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:43:50 AM by merkaba93 »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87